Quantcast Pop vs. the Moderates

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pop vs. the Moderates

For those of you who have stayed at both Pop Century and any of the Moderates, can you convince me why staying at a Moderate is a better option. Aside from location, why should I spend the extra money. My wife and I are looking to go in September with our 9 month old (at that time). As you can tell I like Pop, but my wife is pushing to stay at a Moderate this time around. Money is tight, but we could probably make a Moderate work into our budget.
    Apr 87 - Offsite
    Mar 92 - Offsite
    Jul 99 - Offsite
    Aug 99 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    Jul 03 - ASMu
    Aug 05 - Pop Century
    May 07 - ASSp
    Aug 08 - Poly/ASMu
    Mar 09 - Pop
    Sept 10 - Pop
    Oct-Nov 11 - Pop
    Nov 13 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    Jun-Jul 14 - ASSp
    Jun 15 - Pop
    Aug 15 - Disneyland

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally didn't like Pop, but I do like the All Stars, which are also Value. I've also stayed at CBR and POFQ, and loved POFQ! But, having said that, if it's a matter of money being tight I would go with Pop! The baby will be fascinated with the large, colourful icons and you'll have more money to buy your new little one more souvenirs, and maybe go again sooner!

Whatever you decide, you will have a good time, it is Disney after all!!!
    șOș Dianne șOș

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at Pop, All-Stars and POFQ, and what I can tell you it this. We love POFQ.

If you have a small child, with all the things that you need to have with a small child (stroller, etc,) stay at POFQ. It is smaller, (Less walking) you have only one bus stop( which is usually not very crowded), and you have the boat to Downtown Disney (very Relaxing). The pool area is nice, with a kids pool for you to enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO POFQ wins hands down over POP!!!!!! My DW and I much prefer the All Stars over POP. The rooms and atmosphere at POFQ are way better. We've stayed at Pop, Movies and POFQ .
    wdwfanva

Post Thanks / Like

There is no denying that a Moderate has its perks over a Value. However, I love Pop Century. We enjoy it and had no complaints. Yes, the walls are a little thin and you can hear toilets flushing. The same can be said with the Moderates.

If money is tight, I would not splurge for a Moderate over a Value. It is only the three of you and there is more than enough space in the room. If your DW wants to try a Moderate, you cannot go wrong with any of them. They are all equally as nice and have their own themes. Look for a discount, PIN code, and/or use MJ to find the best deals for you.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

we decided to stay at POFQ over Pop this time simply because POFQ is less crowded and its quieter.

Its a much more laid back resort than POP.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

We love POP. We've stayed at all the values, CB, and POFQ. Husband and I stayed at POFQ for our anniverary in Sept. It was very nice, liked how small it was. However, we still prefer POP. The cheaper our stay, the more we can visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Since money is tight I think staying at POP is fine. Wait until you can enjoy the moderates without worrying about money.

If you chose to stay at a moderate the big difference is the sit down restaurants in the moderates. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates each has it's own unique areas. When DS was little we always requested the AB section in POR. POFQ is nice because it's small and when you forget something for your child it's an easy walk back to the room to retrieve it. CSR has some of the perks of a deluxe, health club and spa.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to take into consideration is the mods provide you with a refrigerator free of charge in the room, while the values charge $10 nightly. This may be a benefit to you if you the refrigerator is needed for infant formula, etcetera.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer moderates if i can afford it because they are quieter, less crowded pools, nicer themes, bigger rooms, shorter lines at the bus stops, and more convenient bus service.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mods: Refrigerator, coffee maker, privacy curtain for sink (double sink) area

Values: Cheaper, single sink (no curtain,) $10/night refrigerator, no coffee maker

Room size is not much different - maybe a little wider in the mods....

Pop = always busy due to sheer number of rooms.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Mods, but I also like ASMo. Stayed at all 3 categories but still prefer the value of the mods best. I am in the group that really doesn't like POP, mostly because of the one crowds and the old abandoned half-built Early Years. The theme is cute, though, and it's worth a look if you've never been. CBR is my favorite, but trying POR next week, so I'll have a report soon!
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Something that is rarely brought into this equation is the time of year that you might be going. If the parks are going to be open late and all you are going to do is sleep -- then it really does not make a difference. However, if you are going to spend much time at the resort -- I would go with a mod. POR and POFQ are my favorites. They just seem to be much more enjoyable to hang out at -- Better themeing and scenery plus things like the DD boat cruise.

Thanks
    Scott
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    There is no denying that a Moderate has its perks over a Value. However, I love Pop Century. We enjoy it and had no complaints. Yes, the walls are a little thin and you can hear toilets flushing. The same can be said with the Moderates.

If money is tight, I would not splurge for a Moderate over a Value. It is only the three of you and there is more than enough space in the room. If your DW wants to try a Moderate, you cannot go wrong with any of them. They are all equally as nice and have their own themes. Look for a discount, PIN code, and/or use MJ to find the best deals for you.
    I am going to agree with the above post. We LOVE Pop so much!! We love it because it is fun! That is what we are looking for at WDW. In October of 09 we decided to stay at CSR and did not like it at all. The resort was so nice...beds great...but it just was not us. If I can't stay at Poly I stay at Pop.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of your opinions. I think we will go back and forth a few times before we ultimately decide. I never took into consideration about the park hours because we usually go during peak seasons when the parks are open early and late. Also, with our little princess we will see WDW in a totally different light, since we usually are in the parks every chance we get. We still have a few months worth of paychecks to decide if a Moderate is an option, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Please keep em coming and thanks again.
    Apr 87 - Offsite
    Mar 92 - Offsite
    Jul 99 - Offsite
    Aug 99 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    Jul 03 - ASMu
    Aug 05 - Pop Century
    May 07 - ASSp
    Aug 08 - Poly/ASMu
    Mar 09 - Pop
    Sept 10 - Pop
    Oct-Nov 11 - Pop
    Nov 13 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    Jun-Jul 14 - ASSp
    Jun 15 - Pop
    Aug 15 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - well, the reason WE were willing to pay more money is that we stayed at POR the first time (needed a room for 5) and found it peaceful, relaxing...even elegant. So we booked it the second time (because who wants to stay at POP and risk crowds of noisy teenagers?). Well....we hit the pop warner week with the cheerleading teams. Can you imagine Riverside Mill with dozens of screaming, giggling girls practicing cheers and trying to drown each other out, while turning the occasional cartwheel?

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both moderate and value and we have loved POP and will stay there again because why pay extra for a moderate when you are not in the room all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on what kind of vacationer you are.We use our resort alot,we swim,we lounge and we just hang out there alot.If you just use the room to sleep and shower then go to a value.It's hard to say what a 9 mo. old will be like.If she sleeps all the time,great,you'll be in the parks alot and if she doesn't,you may be at the resort more.Just remember that Sept.can be hot so you may be swimming alot in that case I'd get a moderate,POFQ would fit the bill because it's pretty small.Sept. is also pretty slow as far as crowds go so the Pop won't be to bad at that time of year.Whatever you do will be fine.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10