Quantcast "Too young to remember"?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry "Too young to remember"?

Maybe this has been discussed here before, but it's something that has really bothered me...

I have been saying to people since my little girl was born that I can't wait until I can take her to WDW. Almost everyone's response is to wrinkle up their nose and say, "Why wouldn't you wait until she's old enough to remember?"

Now, after selling a show horse, I finally have enough to take my now 2-year-old Mickey and Princess fanatic daughter to WDW and we're planning a trip in a little over a week. Everyone I mention it to says what a waste of money it is because she'll be "too young to remember it!"

Am I the only one who thinks, number one, it doesn't really matter if she remembers the exact details, as long as she has a great time with her parents and grandparents? And two, that she probably will remember parts of it, since she remembers every Disney character's name and lists the rides she's excited to go on?

Plus, I don't remember every single detail of all the trips I've taken. Does that mean I've wasted my time and money on them?

And finally, by that logic, we should be able to do anything we want to our kids when they're young, including neglect, beating -- whatever, because they'll be "too young to remember."

Okay, I'll settle down now! Just wondering what everyone else's take is on that!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree with you. My kids went at 4months and 8months and every year since!
    Even when they were babies, we would still celebrate a big Christmas with Santa Claus, regardless of whether or not they can remember it, but nobody thinks that's a waste. Same thing with Disney World. It's a family experience, regardless of how old they are.

PS - we're going down in just over a week as well! My 2 year old daughter is also a princess fanatic so maybe we'll see you around!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going when I was 2...not much but I remember the arcade and pool and pulling Tigger's tail. I say go for it. If you keep talking about it, she WILL remember it. I learned really quick after my first was born not to listen to others when it comes to MY kids! Take your little darling and have fun!!
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was 3 months old for her first trip to Disneyland. When she was 15 months old I renewed my annual pass and we have been going ever since. She is now 10. She was 5 for our first WDW trip and she doesn't remember much of that, but can see the pictures.

I got so much joy seeing her reactions to Disney, the characters and attractions. At the young age of 2 she was just in love with Kiki (Mickey), as well as the princesses.

I would say go for it. She may not remember it, but you will and have the pictures and videos to prove it. There is nothing so joyus as watching their faces light up at all that is around them.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of whether the child will have any memories, it is a good bet that they will have a wonderful time.
    The pictures you have will last a lifetime and your child will appreciate it when they get older.
    Plus you can take a picture of your child at a certain part of the park and have them take that same picture as they grow up making for a unique way to show how they have grown.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

Although she will not remember much, she will remember something. You will remember it for the rest of your life. I took my DD when she was 2 and I will not forget a moment of that trip. I am glad we did because it was the only chance my father got to take her there. He passed away 8 months later and it is a memory he would have never had.

Never pass up an opportunity because you never know what the future holds.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

The people that say she won't remember it probably don't go to Disney themselves and can't understand why you go.
    By their reasoning, we should never do anything at all with children until they are four or five- no playgrounds, no walks around the block, no toys. They won't remember it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Okay, so both my kids have been going to Disney World literally since they were both in the womb. DD's first trip was at 8 months old. DS's was at 5 months.

Do either of them remember those trips? Absolutely not. But you know what? They've each been lots of times since then and each time they go they remember a little bit more. Slowly they're building that love of Disney World that we all have.

Here's why people say that. Most people view going to Disney World as a "once in a lifetime" experience. So, the logic goes, your child should be old enough to remember it if you're only going to go once.

Which is actually kind of silly, because how old are you when you're "old enough to remember?" 6? 7? By that time the child has missed out on some of the best years to visit!! I know that from like 2 on both our kids were just mesmerized by the place and I wouldn't trade in those family memories for anything!

In the future if someone says that to you, I'd just respond, "Well I really don't think that's an issue since we plan to take her back many, many times as she gets older."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Your daughter may not remember, but you will!
    FIRST 1975
    LAST : Jan 2017
    UP NEXT: Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

If you take it slow, stop when your child gets tired, and are patient when there are the 'Disney meltdowns' go and have a great time. Your memories are important too!! Also, your children will look at those pictures and 'remember' through your eyes as they get older. Enjoy!!

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Disneyland in California when I was 5 years old. I don't remember anything about the trip for the most part (except getting stung by a red ant somewhere in Mexico around a bunch of pottery - ha ha ha) but I have the pictures of the trip as well as my embroided Mickey hat. I agree with the other posters that YOU will remember the special trip as well as all the pictures you will take. You can even make your daughter her very own "Picture book" with your pictures along with captions to go along so she can keep the memories alive with that. She'll have a wonderful time. But I don't think people are trying to be mean about it. As someone else said - many people view Disney as a "Once in a Lifetime" trip due to the cost. You'll be HOOKED once you go!!!! So I don't think this will be her ONLY trip. Don't let other people bring you down. NExt time someone says something like that to you, just tell them that life is short and you want to capture as many memories for yourself as well as your daughter and what better place than to do part of it at Disney? HAve a great time!!!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about what people say- how you spend your money is your business. We've heard that, and the "you're going again?"so many times. Everyone seems to have an opinion. Everyone told us not to take our kids to Hawaii a couple years ago. They'll be bored, so much money etc. Well, the kids loved it and we were so happy to be able to have that experience as a family. So- my advice for now and the future- do what makes you happy. You will always encounter naysayers. Sometimes it's jealousy; sometimes it's just a different outlook on life or money. In the end it's the memories that you have. Whether your child remembers or not, you will. My parents took me when I was three and I remember some, but my father died the following year when I was 4. The importance of that trip to me is priceless.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! First of all, don't pay attention to other people-eaiser said than done I know.

Your DD will have fun while she is there, as will you and the rest of your family-this is what is the most imporatant thing!

My DS remembers many things about our WDW trips-he went there for the first time (outside of the womb) when he was 2. We also went last year when he was 3, he asked when we could go again yesterday and he talks about his favorite ride HM all the time.

Those same people wrinkling their nose at you are also the same people who wrinkle their nose at me when I say we are going to WDW again. They just don't know how to have fun, to each his own.

Have fun, enjoy yourselves! Your DD will!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

If this is going to be a once in a lifetime trip I would wait till the child is a bit older, but if you plan to visit again then I think she's the perfect age for her first trip.

My youngest was just 9 months old and my oldest just 2 years oldwhen we took them on their first disney trip and I wouldn't trade that for the world. As they get older the trips change drastically. Those first several trips when they were 5 and under are some of my most precious memories of family vacations. To see the look in their tiny faces and the excitment that just took over them was amazing. Don't get me wrong, now that they are 9 and 7 and can just about ride everything the trips are still just as fun, maybe funner since we can all ride together. But those first few trips when they were little will always be my favorite. Don't worry about what other people think about your plans. If this is something you truly want to do then other's opinions don't matter. Just wait, soon you'll be hearing from these same people "You are going back AGAIN". Just ignore it and enjoy your family trips! I hope you have an amazing vacation!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it both ways - it takes us two years to save for a trip to Dis, and so we decided to wait until our first DD was 4 before we went - I figured she would 'get more' out of the trip itself. It was the perfect age for her, everything was real to her and she was old enough to get lost in the fantasy. However, we took her again when she was 8 and when our 2nd DD was 18 months. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed that trip! The 18 monther forced us to slow down and play in fountains and spend time doing the little things. She enjoyed the trip and was aware of so much more than I anticipated. She won't remember a thing about it later, but the experience was worth it for us, and the rest of us will remember. Her toddler perspective was fun for the rest of us, and I think the feeling of a family vacation like that is good for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are the people who just don't understand that a) WDW has lots of things for adults and kids to enjoy, that it's not just for kids, and b) that there are people who go back to WDW again and again. Maybe they've never been to WDW, or they're among the "don't get it" crowd.

You'll have a great time watching your children at a any age, and you'll enjoy the memories, and your child might retain some of that for your next visit, too (as Ian said). Don't worry about those people. I think it's a great place for families with little ones, because where else can you vacation with them at that age with such comfort and understanding from your fellow vacationers? Not a lot of vacation spots are as baby-toddler welcoming, or even tolerant, as WDW. Enjoy your trip, and your memories!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip to Disney was when I was 5, I remember quite a bit of that trip, however, my sister was 2 and my brother was 3 weeks. My sister barely remembers anything, and obviously my brother doesn't remember a thing. My parents, who are huge Disney fans and are going down with me this May, said that if they were to do it again they wouldnt go with any kid under 5. It was too much of a hassle, and in the end only I remember it.

Post Thanks / Like

We went with our grandaughter when she was just under 2 and she still talks about alot of things she saw almost 2 years later.I know she doesn't remember alot of it but she remembers enough but that's not the point.The point is that my wife and I will always remember the time we went with little Morgan when she was 2 and the fun we all had together.I mean,really,when is the perfect age?I'm 51 years old and love it more and more every time.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it amazing how people feel free to comment on things like this? I agree with the other posters... you don't have unrealistic expectations of the trip and it is something that you will enjoy.

I went to WDW when I was 2.5 years old and I do remember little flashes of it. Not every detail, but a lot more than my family thought I would!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have heard that a lot with people that plan on taking little kids to Disney World. Some people just don't think it through.

True, she's not going to remember every single picky little detail, but who ever does? All that matters will that fun will be had and memories will be made.

And there will always be pictures that she can look at!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: