Quantcast Buying resale?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Buying resale?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying resale?

What are the drawbacks to buying resale? The only thing I can think of is the fact that you have less time over the life of the deed, i.e. I would love to buy at WL and it will expire in 2047, I believe, so I'm looking at less time than if I bought at BLT expiring in 2060.

Give me some tips. After our last trip we're really thinking of buying!
    Tricia:
    Mom to mouse obsessed kids: Anthony 12 - Maggie 6.

September '01 - PORS
    October '04 - off site
    September '08 - POFQ
    February '10 - AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Resale is a great money saver. Last I checked, many folks have listed their DVC memberships (I can only speculate on why, but the economy probably has a great deal to do with it).

Resales are just like buying a home, the price IS NOT fixed. You can lowball and otherwise negotiate a price, don't let anyone tell you that you can't. If I were in the market, I would do this. Find a few that you like, point wise, and submit a bid. Make it low... If the seller is desparate enough, they may take it. If they do, Disney still have to "approve" it, BUT if they don't, Disney must buy it at your price. Disney is having a tough time selling what they have, so I would be surprised if they buy a lot back. If after a few tries, this doesn't work, then up your price...

As far as membership goes, there is no difference to Disney if you buy from them or resale in terms of your rights/perks, etc.

Make sure you know what you're bidding on. I've seen some people clean out a membership of points for a year or two and then try to sell them, they are worth much less than a loaded property.

Finally, buy whewre you want to stay. The 11 month booking window is getting to be VERY important. I think SSR really did the damage to that since a lot are trying to stay outside of there, and it's the biggest (or one of) the biggest DVC properties.

Post Thanks / Like

you also don't get any incentives that Disney might be offering.

I bought a small add on through resale a few months ago and it was sooo easy!
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoriSan View Post
    you also don't get any incentives that Disney might be offering.

I bought a small add on through resale a few months ago and it was sooo easy!
    But, even with the incentives, buying from Disney is usually substantially more expensive the buying resale.

As far as wanting a longer contract...remember that they offered 15 yr extensions at OKW (the oldest DVC property) a yr or so ago. I am sure they will do the same at some point in the future for the other DVC properties.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    As far as wanting a longer contract...remember that they offered 15 yr extensions at OKW (the oldest DVC property) a yr or so ago. I am sure they will do the same at some point in the future for the other DVC properties.
    I think this is a certainty... Having to resell all those contracts has got to be a daunting task. Getting people to ante up a little more again probably easier than assuming the ownership again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I think this is a certainty... Having to resell all those contracts has got to be a daunting task. Getting people to ante up a little more again probably easier than assuming the ownership again.
    I would agree since the 15 year extensions only add on the cost of annual Dues. But at some point in time they will have to get new buyers for older resorts.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    I would agree since the 15 year extensions only add on the cost of annual Dues. But at some point in time they will have to get new buyers for older resorts.
    So there was no extra cash involved just the annual dues to extend??

Even though that's not a guarantee that makes me feel a bit better about WL.

I called Disney direct and they're pushing AKL right now. We just came back from there last week and honestly, I didn't love it enough to make it my home resort and as someone else said even with the incentives it's still more than buying a resale.

Thanks for answering the question about making an officer, I wondered about that too!
    Tricia:

September '01 - PORS
    October '04 - off site
    September '08 - POFQ
    February '10 - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A&M'sMommy View Post
    So there was no extra cash involved just the annual dues to extend??

Even though that's not a guarantee that makes me feel a bit better about WL.

I called Disney direct and they're pushing AKL right now. We just came back from there last week and honestly, I didn't love it enough to make it my home resort and as someone else said even with the incentives it's still more than buying a resale.

Thanks for answering the question about making an officer, I wondered about that too!
    Yes there was a fee of $15/point IIRC. That was why we decided not to do it. It didn't make sense to give Disney $3600 (in our case) now for something that we wouldn't derive any benefit from for over 30 yrs.
    Actually, our daughter would be the one deriving the benefit since realistically I don't figure to be here in 2042.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

True, but I guess it's nice to have the option. I feel that way with our kids. When WL ends, it won't be about us, I guess it'll depend on where my kids stand at that point, it's just nice that there might be an option there....
    Tricia:

September '01 - PORS
    October '04 - off site
    September '08 - POFQ
    February '10 - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    Yes there was a fee of $15/point IIRC. That was why we decided not to do it. It didn't make sense to give Disney $3600 (in our case) now for something that we wouldn't derive any benefit from for over 30 yrs.
    Actually, our daughter would be the one deriving the benefit since realistically I don't figure to be here in 2042.
    Obviously I stand corrected. I misunderstood how the extension was offered. At any rate at least is a relatively inexpensive option if you want to pass it on to son or daughter.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I know your original question asked about drawbacks of buying resale. Actually there aren't any since you do have the option of buying new. I will point out a couple of big advantages-- you can choose your resort, even if Disney lists it as sold out. You may be able to buy less points if you can't afford what Disney is selling, which I think right now is 160 points. The main drawback you have to watch for on resale is some people have used up the points for the coming year, but that is clearly stated in the contract. We bought 100 points at the Beach Club, which was a lot cheaper than we would have had to buy new and we got our favorite resort as our home resort. And yes, we went through the Timeshare Store with no issues or problems at all.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased resale through the Timeshare Store and it was very easy and everything is out there. It's been a while since I went to their site because I'm not in the market, but they have a page where they list everything they have available. It's easy to just look through it and find what you're looking for.

Plus, much less expensive than if I bought directly through Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think everyone confirmed what I thought, I just needed to "hear" it!!

Thank you all and hopefully this time next year we'll be owners.
    Tricia:

September '01 - PORS
    October '04 - off site
    September '08 - POFQ
    February '10 - AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: