Quantcast Planning last minute trip with kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning last minute trip with kids

My husband and I decided last week to go to Disney World in mid-April (for 40th birthday celebration) with our 2 daughters - 4 and just 2. We're planning for 5 days/4 nights. We haven't been since having kids and are new to detailed planning for the trip. Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Specifically:
    Where to stay? We're leaning towards The Contemporary
    Meal plans worth it? We've been told the 1 meal/day package is best.
    Is it too late to book character meals?
    Is Epcot worth it for age range?
    Like I said, we're new to this, so any information is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!

Once you book your resort you can go online and look for available dates for dining.

There is no one day dining plan. There is a 2 meal a day quick service plan or 1 quick service and 1 table service a day plan. Both come with 2 snacks a day...there is also larger plans (i believe). Your 2 year old will not be covered by the plan since I think you have to be 3 years or older but I am not quite sure what the age requirement is since my daughter is 15.

Have fun asking questions on the boards here. I have not stayed at any of the deluxe resorts...so I am sure some others can come along with suggestions there.

As far as Epcot is concerned...I guess it could be a little more suited for older ages but I still think it is a great place to go!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Might I suggest the Poly? We LOVE it there!

Also a big fan of Epcot. My kids are a little older now (9 and 6) but they too liked Epcot when they were younger. They enjoy going to each of the countries and getting their "passports" stamped as well as making the mask in each country.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do!!!

Post Thanks / Like

With you having kids that young, walking back to your room from the MK can't be beat, and only the Contemporary (and Bay Lake Tower) offer that perk.

That's why we are staying there with our 2 year old in June, and we can't wait!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

My kids have always loved Epcot, they were prob about your kids ages when they went for their first time. But, I do know some kids who don't get it and find it "boring". If you get park hoppers then if your kids aren't into it you can go to another park.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Our kids were 6 and 3 on our first trip and they had a great time. Try to explain to them the characters they will see, etc. Plan on taking some afternoon nap breaks to recharge everyone. And I agree with the Epcot passports. Even if they don't know what other countries are yet, they will still enjoy it. Stop at the kid stops at each country and they have activities for them. They will love it.

As for a place to stay, I don't think it matters as much at that age, although it is nice to be close to the Magic Kingdom. I would always stay on property if you can afford it. There is almost as much magic there as being in the parks themselves. Enjoy.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Huge Epcot fans here! DS's were 4 & 6 for our 1st trip & I hadn't planned on visiting Epcot until DH & DS'6 told me how much they wanted to go there, so that was our very first park in all of WDW & we loved it then & still do! They will probably love The Nemo ride in the Seas pavillion & Journey into your Imagination with Figment is great fun for all, still one of DS'12 fav's! Epcot is just beautiful & so many unique experiences that I think there's something there for everyone!

I give all my frineds & family going to WDW the following advice, arrive at park opening, it's amazing how much you can do in the early morning when others are sleeping in or having character breakfasts, the smallest crowds you'll see in the parks! And take that break in the middle of the day, wether you take a nap, take some time to relax by the pool or whatever, but it makes a huge difference in the way you feel just to take that break & slow down. Then you are ready for some fun in the evening, parades, fireworks, etc.

Best wishes for a magical trip!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!