Quantcast How do you beat the heat? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We always bring large canteens when we go down and before we leave for the parks we stop at the hotel ice machine and fill it to the tippy-top... by the time you get to the parks its 1/4 melted and soon after will be nothing but fresh ice cold water. Just keep refilling it as much as you can! Water misters and portable fans help somewhat, but depending on the humidity it sometimes just feels like hot air blowing on you... Also, there are many places where you can walk through the air conditioned stores rather than being out in the heat... for example on Main Street in MK a lot of the stores are connected so you can take advantage and just walk store-to-store... in any case, BEAT THAT HEAT!!!
    -Corey-

Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden you're walking out on me? I don't think so, not right now. You're getting your wishes, so sit down!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm a teacher, we need to go in the summer. I think that the best thing we do is to go to the park early, and then take a mid-day break. Some of us go to the pool, some of us just get into AC. Once the sun starts to go down, we go back out again.
    Coming up....BCV and BWV 2016????
    BWV July 2010, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15!!!!
    BWV and BCV July 2009
    BWV 12/2008 (Surprise trip!)
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2008
    Swan 06/2007
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2005
    Beach Club Villas 11/2004, 04/2006
    Contemporary 4/2002, 4/2004

Post Thanks / Like

A few things come to mind

Wearing loose fitting, light colored clothing.
    (I have to keep covered because I burn)

Try and get to parks early and get a head start before the hottest part of the day sets in. Try and get in line for rides where the ques don't have a lot shade early in the day.

When it starts to broil (between noon and 4)
    go swim or relax in the shade at the resort pool. Go back to the park when thr sun is less intense.

Wearing a hat to keep the sun off my face.

Water, water, water

Alternating between outside and indoor attractions so I'm not outside for hours on end.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Camelbak has been purchased and will be used for our June trip. I've also informed my DW that by unanimous decision we will take a mid-day break.

One other question, are there other "cool centers" other then the ones in Epcot?
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We have a freezer in our room, but maybe you could do this with an ice bucket the night before.

I wet a wash cloth and put it in a plastic sandwich bag. I freeze the bag. I take the bag with me in the morning. It's like having a block of ice I can put on my forehead or on the back of my neck for up to 3 hours. We go in August.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally prefer a water bottle to a camelbak for Disney. Although when I hike I love my camelbak a ton. The fill hole on the camelbaks (at least mine) is really wide and it's very easy to fill up at a water fountain. Mine is a 1.5 liter and I could almost always fill it (using at our State Fair). The one piece of advice I'll give with it though is that on the bite end there is a little yellow part (at least on mine) that when you swing it out of position will prevent any water from coming out. I didn't realize this at first so I was always ultra cautious not to accidentally squeeze the bit valve or I'd get wet. By turning it off it helps prevent accidents. Additionally the bite valve can be easily removed if say you need to fill up someone else's water bottle from your reservoir. Also if you need to rinse off hands or dirt or something, just squeezing the bite valve will allow you to spray out a small continuous mist/stream of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Another tip for kids is to wet down their hair and maybe shirt top in the restroom.

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought about wetting down my kids...another cool idea!!
    K. White

WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe you all are missing the obvious answer to the heat problem! Go to Disneyland instead!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA! Sorry, I just couldn't resist! My daughter and I are making our first trip to WDW May 29th and the heat issue is a big one for me. We have always gone to DLR and weather is never an issue. This thread has been very helpful and encouraging for a heat weenie!

Post Thanks / Like

finaldynasty- You will not regret your purchase! My husband and I love our Camelbaks! We will them up with ice and a little water before we leave for the park for the day so our water stays pretty cold. We sometimes stop and get a cup of ice to add to them throughout the day.

I also recommend buying a Bite Valve cover. The first trip we went on we didn't have these and the bite valves got pretty gross. It's definitely worth the extra expense to keep them clean.
    84 - FW
    94 - Off Site
    95 - ASMu
    96 - Off Site
    08 - POFQ
    2/09 - Coronado
    7/09 - AS Sports
    9/09 - POP
    12/09- One day for Christmas
    4/10 - POFQ
    7/10 - Offsite
    3/11 - AS Sports
    5/14 - Coronado
    7/15 - AS Sports
    7/17 - Coronado

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydementia View Post
    I can't believe you all are missing the obvious answer to the heat problem! Go to Disneyland instead!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA! Sorry, I just couldn't resist! My daughter and I are making our first trip to WDW May 29th and the heat issue is a big one for me. We have always gone to DLR and weather is never an issue.
    Yeah - that didn't work for us. We ended up staying at Disneyland for 5 days in June of 08 - right when they were having the worst heat wave they'd had in a VERY long time! It was high 90's and HOT! It was so hot the pavement was melting! Also, Disneyland is not built for HOT like WDW is - not very many lines with misting fans or inside queues at all! We suffered for 5 days... Don't get me wrong, we had a great time but WOW. I thought it would be pleasant and boy was I shocked. We then went to my Aunt's house in Laguna and she kept saying how sorry she was that we'd hit the worst possible heat ever (in her 35 years of living there).
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

LandFan you got me on that one! We were there and it was very hot and we were shocked. We had never experienced that kind of heat there. But.........it wasn't humid!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenieOfPA View Post
    We always bring large canteens when we go down and before we leave for the parks we stop at the hotel ice machine and fill it to the tippy-top... by the time you get to the parks its 1/4 melted and soon after will be nothing but fresh ice cold water. Just keep refilling it as much as you can! Water misters and portable fans help somewhat, but depending on the humidity it sometimes just feels like hot air blowing on you... Also, there are many places where you can walk through the air conditioned stores rather than being out in the heat... for example on Main Street in MK a lot of the stores are connected so you can take advantage and just walk store-to-store... in any case, BEAT THAT HEAT!!!
    Where can one buy a canteen?
    K. White

WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010

Post Thanks / Like

I believe QVC also carries a type of neck cooler thingy.
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

I have two and a half suggestions:

One is to leave the parks in the heat of the day to take a big, fat nap in your resort room.

The half-idea is to spend it laying by your resort pool getting a tan. Rest? Yes. Cool? No.

The last idea is for when I've scheduled a full day in a park: I make sure to make a reservation at a table service restaurant for around 2:30 pm. That way, I can have a nice leisurely lunch in the air-conditioning after the bulk of the lunch rush has passed through...and dinner isn't gonna start for at least a couple of hours. They won't mind if you dawdle. You get a take a load off your feet and stay cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I freeze washcloths overnight and put them in plastic sandwich bags. Then mid day, take them out and put them on our necks or faces.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finaldynasty View Post
    Where can one buy a canteen?
    Any sporting goods or camping/outdoors type store.

Personally, I buy mine from one of the sutlers in Gettysburg.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not boycotting WalMart, they've got an inexpensive Camelbak type online for about $20. We got their cheap backpacks last year and noted they had pockets and ports for hydration bladders and tubes, so we shelled out about $10 each for those. The backpacks worked well, the bladders had WIDE mouths so you could fill them with ice. Nice having an icepack in the middle of your back!

Also - don't forget wicking clothes. (Again, WalMart's got 'em for cheap.) Cotton's okay, but wicking stuff dries faster and is more comfortable.

As far as footwear goes? Make sure, above ALL else, that you're USED to what you'll be tromping around in. Don't buy a pair of shoes two days before - foot pain can spoil the BEST time!
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

me and dw use this device called Misty Mate, it's real good in keeping us cool. it's a tube that holds water that you pump up for pressure, then when you need it open the nozzle and a fine mist sprays out, let me tell ya when you waiting in line or just simply walking this does wonders.

victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

-Sit in the shade and take your socks and shoes off and dump water on your feet.
    -If your in Epcot go ride Ellens Energy ride and take a nap in the ac.
    -If your in MK go visit the Presidents Hall and take a nap in the ac there too. LOL
    -THe fans are a great way to cool off, we always bring ours with us.
    -Ice cream is another great way to cool off.
    -YOu can always go get wet at Donalds Boat too.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: