Quantcast performance review - eep

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default performance review - eep

Just had my performance review and apparantly my only flaw is informal communication.
    That is I don't make small talk
    My boss expects me to improve on this over the next 6 months but I have no idea where to start.
    I thought my small talk was fine
    what am I supposed to do?
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people would think that's a good thing!

In my opinion those reviews are bunk anyway. They have to give at least three areas you need to work on. I wouldn't worry to much about it; just start asking people "How are you today" most of them will take off talking from there.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Spend an hour every morning talking to your boss about the night before. I'm sure they will quickly realize how unproductive small talk is in the work place.

If it really is small talk.

Informal communication to me would be checking in with customers on stauts of work, etc. Nothing along the lines of a project ststus meeting, just enough to let them know you're still working on things, they are progressing nicely, etc.

I've given up on taking performance reviews seriously. Two years ago (before the economy tanked), everything was bad, a lot needed to be worked on, etc. All reasons to reduce merit increases to employees. This year, everyone's reviews are glowing, etc. There's no money for merit increases however, you know.. The economy being what it is.

I've taken to copy/paste last years reveiws, change the date and maybe plug in a few new project names, here and there.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my first step would be to ask your boss for specific examples, so that you know exactly what is expected of you.

I have to say in all my years, I have never heard someone being told they need to have more "small talk". Are you sure that is what your boss meant? I am just baffled.

I definately have never had this problem (of course, I could talk to a brick wall. ).

Good luck figuring it all out.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Oof. I feel for you. I don't do small talk much at home or with friends much less in the office. I guess I'm a fairly quiet person in that regard.

One of the few ways I do make small talk is when people comment on photos/items that are around my desk. If you have a desk area maybe bringing in interesting things to set around would make people more likely to approach you. I find small talk easier when someone else starts it.

Just a thought. Good luck!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough one...
    Seems a little nit-picky too me. Like they had to put something negative in your review. Really, how does it affect your work.
    Good Luck and don't worry about it too much.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the responses.
    I still have no idea what my boss means by this even though I have asked for examples. I think I will take the advice and just take that bit with a pinch of salt especially since I got good grades in everything else.
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another thought based on my work experiences.

I work in an environment that employs lots of scientists and engineers (being one myself) and a characteristic that I have noticed is that these folks tend to NOT engage in any sort of communication except formal, well-written presentations, emails, reports, etc. That being the case, the only time they tend to communicate is during major milestone reviews or when something of enormous importance needs to be communicated. What they don't tend to communicate well are updates, pulse checks, off the cuff comments or ideas, etc. This often leads to "surprises", or major course corrections that need to be made "after the fact" as opposed to minor course corrections along the way.

I can't read your boss's mind, and don't know exactly what he/she is saying, but I interpret his/her request to mean "more frequent less-formal updates" - I DO NOT take it to mean "small talk". That way, your boss has a better idea of how something is progressing, or how well you are meeting your goals, outside of formal reviews, goal setting discussions, milestones, etc. That would also break down the "formality" that may exist between you, your boss and your peers, and allow you to develop a more collaborative relationship in your work environment.

Just my $0.02...
    Mike in KC

DVC Members since 5/01 (VB) & added SSR (8/04).

Been to WDW ~20 times. First DCL cruise in 2/08 (Western)

Recent Trips:
    SSR Treehouse Villas & DCL Wonder 3/10
    BLT/Florida Keys/AKLV 7/11

Upcoming trips:
    VB & VWL 7/12
    OKW 12/12 - 1/13
    VB/DCL Fantasy Eastern/AKLV 6/13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinksDH View Post
    I can't read your boss's mind, and don't know exactly what he/she is saying, but I interpret his/her request to mean "more frequent less-formal updates" - I DO NOT take it to mean "small talk". That way, your boss has a better idea of how something is progressing, or how well you are meeting your goals, outside of formal reviews, goal setting discussions, milestones, etc. That would also break down the "formality" that may exist between you, your boss and your peers, and allow you to develop a more collaborative relationship in your work environment.

Just my $0.02...
    Thanks but he actually said small talk in the review.
    I have decided it's not that big a deal anyway but thanks for the advice
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

TinksDH, your job sounds like it's straight out of Big Bang Theory!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just can't win. Our oldest daughter received a review that she was spending too much time interacting with the other staff. Her next review, after her responsibilities changed she was told she wasn't ineracting enough with the rest of the staff.

Go fig.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's a small world!

It is a funny thing, we all live in different areas, but we all seem to work for the same company! I was just told this morning by a Sr. Manager that I wasn't being perky enough! My lack of being perky wasn't impacting my job performance nor was I being a negative person, however, I just wasn't as perky as I used to be. Go figure

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Performance reviews mean nothing! We have not had a raise in 4 years "because of the current state of the economy". So, what's the point of trying to get the highest grade? As long as I'm not the "worst" on the team, I'll be fine.... at least that's the thinking of many people in my company.

Seems that our corporation has settled for mediocre work (not mediocre employees! ) by treating us the way that they do.

I'm mean, if I'm employed and getting good performance reviews for working at 60% capacity and quality, what's the point of working any harder and/or putting more effort into my job? no raise in salary - just a decrease in work/life balance (stress/health)? no thanks!!!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: