Quantcast Why are car rental prices so high?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why are car rental prices so high?

We are getting ready to book our flights and car rental, and the price of a car rental is higher than my flight!!!! Does anyone have any insight as to why rates are so high for this summer and if they may come back down? We are in need of a car rental because we are going to my mom's to visit in South Florida when our Disney portion is over. So bypassing a car is out of the question, but seriously over $600 for a intermediate size car?????

Help!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How long are you vacationing for?

Are you flying in and out of the same airport? If not, that could be the reason.

Give us a few more details, and I bet we can find you a better price.

My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any insight as to why rates are so high for this summer and if they may come back down?
    Car rental rates went up drastically last summer and have remained high ever since. Honestly, I don't expect them to improve overall anytime soon, but anything's possible.

The reason for the high rates is basic economics - specifically supply and demand. When the economy started to go south and the banks began cutting everyone's line's of credit, the car rental companies had little choice but to reduce the size of their rental fleets since they didn't have the financing available to maintain what they had. While there may be positive aspects of a reduction for the rental companies (fewer cars means less cost to maintain them all), it greatly reduced the supply of available vehicles. The demand for rental cars was probably reduced some, but not nearly as drastically as the supply was reduced. Consequently, higher prices for a less available product.

As long as the supply of the product is constrained, the cost will remain high. In Orlando, the costs are very high compared to say a couple of years ago (2-3 times higher). But at least cars are usually available. I've been at other airports in the country where rates are even higher - but it didn't really matter because there were no cars available at any price from any company. More than a few times in the past year someone on my staff has been stranded somewhere due to a last minute schedule change and they've been unable to get a rental car for a day or two.

The only tip I can give you is to make sure you explore all possible coupon and discount options you might have. Costco has some really good coupons as do the Entertainment books. See if your company has any discount agreement as these are normally usable by employees for personal use as well.

Also, keep checking the rates. They may well change (not always in your favor, but...) as you get closer to your dates. You may get lucky.

I hope this gives you some insight into the "why".

Have a great trip.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We are vacationing for 10 days and we are intending on returning the car at a different airport. We have done this on many occasions before and never have prices been so high!

I never put together the economy and the fleet of rental cars. Thanks for that insight!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to post the very same question.
    I have to seriously consider going back to using the WDW transportation. Not that that's a bad thing, but when you have a car there isn't time 'lost". But there sure would be $$$ lost
    We'll need a car to go to Universal for the day but right now I can't justify +$800 for nine day rental.
    Feeling a little bummed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In my dreams View Post
    I was going to post the very same question.
    I have to seriously consider going back to using the WDW transportation. Not that that's a bad thing, but when you have a car there isn't time 'lost". But there sure would be $$$ lost
    We'll need a car to go to Universal for the day but right now I can't justify +$800 for nine day rental.
    Feeling a little bummed!

There are some car rental loations within th WDW resort property. Have you thought about just renting a car for a day or two? Also some of the hotels in the DTD disney area have onsite car rental....
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tazlikesrobots View Post
    There are some car rental loations within th WDW resort property. Have you thought about just renting a car for a day or two? Also some of the hotels in the DTD disney area have onsite car rental....
    Thanks,
    Im looking into a 4/5 day rental right now. I have a $$ set in my mind and I'll see how many days I can get for that. Right now, looking at going to the Dolphin to rent. Does anyone have experience getting to the Car Care Center? Would I have to cab it over there?

Post Thanks / Like

We've rented from Alamo at the Car Care Center. You call them to arrange pick up right at your hotel. And they also provide shuttle service back to your hotel after returning the car. It's very convenient.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a convertible rented from National at the Car Care Center for January. For 8 days it is $162 total. I found that trying to rent from the airports themselves tend to be higher than renting elsewhere. Check many places other than just the airport for prices. You might be pleasantly surprised. Most give you rides for free to and from their rental locations.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep checking.....DAILY. I usually book a car when I know we are going....sometimes that is 9 months out, but I do it anyway so we have something set in stone. I keep checking every few days until about 5 months out then I start checking daily, like checking email I swear! I've been lucky for several trips, but our trip last October was the highest we have ever paid; we used National's Emerald Aisle and while we did get a brand new minivan we paid for an intermediate car and paid just under $200 for a week -- which I didn't think was bad at all. We have in the past gotten SUV's for under $100 for a week, but you have to be vigilant about checking!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh! You're returning the car at a location different from where you picked it up. That's a big reason why the rate is higher. It might be worth your while to return the car to the original location. Check out the rate online or call to find out the price differential.

If you've already made your flight plans, you probably can't change your reservations now without a penalty.

It would be worth checking this all out BEFORE you make your reservations next time. You might consider having your relatives visit you at Disney next time. An extra room would almost be cheaper at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
    I found that trying to rent from the airports themselves tend to be higher than renting elsewhere.
    Absolutely right. In addition to the actual rental charges, at the airports you're paying all sorts of additional fees and taxes to cover the rental company's costs of doing business at a convenient location.

As for Orlando, over the past few months, all the major companies have moved from their remote locations onto the airport property - - the good news is no more bus rides from the airport to facilities a few miles away. The bad news is that you are paying for the move.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: