Quantcast New Years Eve + planning for a big group.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Years Eve + planning for a big group.

Hey Gang,

I have been tasked with finding something to do for a group of 8 - 10 adults on New Years Eve at Disney World. I would appreciate suggestions of what I should check out!

Things to consider
    • We are staying off property (if that makes a difference.)
    • Preferences are something that involves yummy food and fireworks.
    • Not sure what our budget is yet so I am willing to entertain all kinds of ideas at the moment.

I haven't been to Disney World at this time of year before, and my last trip was in 2004 so many things have changed, which is making this a little tougher for me.

Additional questions -
    1. does anyone know of a car rental place that offers discounts for multiple cars? i believe we are looking at rent 3 mini-vans for a week.
    2. Any good resources for planning for a group of 10 adults and 2 children under 3?

Uber excited about this trip, it has been toooooo long since I have visited

Thanks for anything you can suggest!!

Rory

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First, for that large of a party, contact Magical Journeys and let them help you coordinate everything. You might be better off staying on-property with a "magical gatherings" package.

Second, NYE is probably the most crowded day of the year. Parks are usually at capacity, so if you want to see fireworks at midnight you'll need to decide on your park early, get there at park opening, and plan on staying until midnight. Disney does capacity closings in phases and the first folks to be denied access to a park are off property guests. So, if you're not there early, chances are you won't get in. Other than that, just pick a park and enjoy yourself.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chris. Additionally, if you want a table service dining experience on that day - especially for such a large group of folks, you had best make your reservations that moment you are able to do so. Those staying on site, who can generally book for the duration of their trip, will have an advantage over you (if you stay off-site) as you won't be able to make your reservation until exactly 180 days in advance.

I'm not aware of multiple care discounts but you could approach a few of the more popular rental locations to see if that's a possibility. Mini-van rentals have been quite high recently.

When all is said and done, you might find it less expensive to stay on property where you won't need to rent several vehicles.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider: You said your group would be comprised of ADULTS. Most adults I know will want to have a drink or two on NYE, and EPCOT would be a stellar place to do just that. A great dinner at one of the EPCOT restaurants, a walk around the 'world showcase' with a drink at each stop, and then watch the special presentation of Illuminations they host each NYE.

If you decide to stay on-property (which might be a better $$$ deal when you factor in the cost of van rentals and the fact that you might get a great deal from Disney for bringing such a large group) nobody in your entire party will need to drive anywhere. That night, above all others, would be the night to use the free Disney Transportation System. That is why my friends and I love Disney so much: we don't need to be responsible for driving anywhere. Disney takes care of it. A carefree mind is the beginning of a wonderful holiday. Plus, depending on where you stay, breakfast may be just a bus ride away...and who wants to drive and be functional when you've had a few too many the night before???

Enjoy your trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice so far. It is giving me much to think about.

Staying off property wasn't my choice I know the advantages, but most of the group doesn't want to spend the whole week at Disney (silly family) so the decision was made to rent a house of some sort nearby at a golf course (we have several golfers in the group).

I will start digging through the info I can find on dining at Epcot - do they typically do special menus on NYE or is it standard menu?

Also - what if it wasn't a park we went to, do any of the deluxe resorts do NYE dinner, dancer and fireworks type things?

R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roryboy View Post
    Also - what if it wasn't a park we went to, do any of the deluxe resorts do NYE dinner, dancer and fireworks type things?

R
    The only special menus I know of are a couple of special desert parties at MK. Also, the only true NYE "party" I know of is at the Boardwalk at Atlantic Dance. They have dancing and a special fireworks viewing, but I haven't heard of anything anywhere else. There are special NYE fireworks at Mk, Epcot, and DHS.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

But also be aware that, onevenings that are as busy as New Year's, access to places like the Poly Beach where fireworks can be viewed are restricted to guests.

If you're in a park that day and decide to leave to go to a resort for dinner, it is highly unlikely that you'd be able to get back into a park after dinner.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a possibility I'd recommend getting a hotel at one of the Epcot resorts so you can walk back to the room after NYE. It has nothing to do with drinking/driving and everything to do with getting out of the parking lot afterwards. The last time I spent NYE at Epcot the parking lot was basically gridlock until hours after the fireworks and I imagine it's close to the same at the other park lots as well.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: