Quantcast This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring - Page 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

to me thats just a sad relfection of how society strips magic away younger and younger. It's also sad they couldn't appreciate the magic of it all without looking for some "big drop". Long live the Magic Kingdom!!
    Poly GVC 11/04
    BC 09/05
    WL/Disney Wonder 5/06
    Poly LVC 09/06
    AKL club/WLvillas Jan/Feb 07
    CR/&Poly LVC 11/07
    Poly/LVC 08/08
    Poly LVC 03/ 09
    HHI 7/09
    Poly LVC Aug 09
    Poly Club 4/10
    Poly 8/10
    DL Hotel 8/10
    Poly 9/10
    CR/Poly Easter '11
    Vero/Poly 7/11
    DL 8/11
    10/11 MNSSHP
    FUTURE CP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Partially the parents fault

As the parent of a 14 & 16 year olds, my kids enjoy ALL the parks and Magic Kingdom is one of their favs. Boring is definitely not the word I would use to describe it. Life if not about racing from one thrill to another but enjoying the little things with a few thrills sprinkled in to excite us. True, Main street is not thrilling but the smells coming out of the candy shop or the bakery can't be beat! Riding in Captain Hooks ship may not make out hearts jump but to look down onto London and see all the lights it truly breath taking. My daughter knows more about the Carrousel of Progress than the imagineers do and I think that is far better than being able to list all the Kardashian sister. My son (a video game freak) also has an imagination that would even make Walt proud and always talks of ways he would add more animatronics (not mannequins) to an attraction. That’s another thing...it’s not just a ride to us, it’s an attraction...we are drawn to the creativity that went into its design and the sheer fun and silliness that keeps us coming back. Magic Kingdom boring? I think not...I blame their parents for not showing them that fun can be found in lots of places and you don't have to be going a hundred miles an hour to have it...
    Cinderelly, Cinderelly all day long it's Cinderelly...

Disneyland Paris - 92, 93, 99(Hotel New York)
    Disneyland - 01(off property)
    WDW - 06(POFQ), 08(WL), 10 (POFQ), 12(Contemporary)

Post Thanks / Like

Amen, Brian McFan
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2010 we (hubby & I) took my 15 year old daughter and her friend to WDW. Before we left our room at the resort to start our park hopping, my husband told my daughters friend that she was going to "LOVE" MK having never visited before. Let me first say my husband is not the sentimental kind of guy. He tried to express to her how MK 'makes you feel' as you walk down Main St. and the happiness is infectious! My daughter & I both chimed in to reiterate his sentiments. After we had been at MK for about an hour the "friend" said how boring the park was and actually said she was disappointed that she had agreed to come on the trip. My daughter was crushed as were we. She repeated, throughout the course of the week, that she didn't enjoy any of the parks. One evening we had done the Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose. My daughter & I had planned this trip with the excitement of seeing Fantasmic. After dinner the "friend" said she was ill and needed to return to the resort. My daughter was torn. She wanted to be true to her friend but she wanted to see the show. In the end she returned to the resort with her friend and missed the show. It came out later that the friend only wanted to return to the resort b/c she had met some boys at the pool the night earlier and hoped to meet up with them again! My daughter was crushed. I felt bad as well. I guess the moral is not everyone can "feel" the Disney magic. We are returning to Disney in May and my daughter is bringing another friend. This girl is as excited as we are. I hope it all works out well! lol!

Post Thanks / Like

loveEVERYTHINGDisney, first off, my heart breaks for both you and your daughter. I know how excited you can get about seeing others enjoy Disney they way you do. And when they have the opposite reaction, it is disheartening. I know first hand.

In 2002, we asked my parents to join us in WDW. They had been making excuses the past two trips for not coming and were reluctant to join us in 2002, as well. They were vacationing in Fort Lauderdale and my mom didn't want to leave the beach. My dad talked her into meeting us for four days. We got them rooms at the Caribbean Resort.

"If we don't go at least once, they'll keep numbing us! We'll go one time and they'll leave us alone."

They arrived early and we took them to then-Disney-MGM Studios. We rode the Tower of Terror, Rock n Rollercoaster, Great Movie Ride, and saw the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. Then we took the Friendship boat ride to the Boardwalk Resort for some pizza. Afterwards, we walked into Epcot. We spent time in the pavillions, saw Illuminations, and shopped at MouseGear. They were blown away!!! What a great way to start a trip.
    The next day, we went to the Magic Kingdom, then Hoop de Doo Review. After four days, they were hooked!!!

"When's the next trip?" my dad asked.

Later that same year, we decided to take my in-laws. After seeing the turnaround my own parents did, we were expecting a similar reaction. I made ADRs months in advance for things I thought they'd enjoy. I purchased MVMCP tickets, because it is one of my favorite events on property and I thought they'd love it.

Through a booking snafu, I was able to get us 2nd floor rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at a very reasonable rate. (Long story, but Disney was amazing.) After check-in, we went to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Afterward, we were supposed to go to Downtown Disney for some shopping, but they were tired and wanted to return to the resort. We ate at Boma's. Great meal. (I had Oxen tail soup.) I guess the bill shocked them, because my father-in-law turned to me and asked, "What else do you have planned?"
    "Chef Mickey's Tomorrow."
    "Cancel it. We don't want to go. What else?"

In fact, I canceled almost all of our ADRs. On the night of the MVMCP -- the event I was most looking forward to -- one got sick and they stayed at the resort. The tickets are non-refundable, but Disney gave me credit to use on my room key.
    After seeing Fantasmic, I turned to my mother-in-law and said, "Can you believe you get all this for the price of admission?"
    "For what they charge, this is the least I would expect."

On the final day, my mother-in-law took me aside and said, "We see all these other people here having fun and they obviously 'get it.' And we don't. And that's ok. And if we never come back, that's ok, too."

My DW and I were so heartbroken. We had such hopes they'd enjoy themselves. I jumped through hoops to plan a vacation I thought they'd enjoy. And in the end, they just wanted it to be over.

Tell you daughter not to be too dismayed. It is far better to go through life seeing the "Magic" that can and does exist rather than being a detractor.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Tony -
    To this day I cannot talk about that trip to my daughter. It's as if it never happened. When discussing this upcoming trip to her friend that is joining us I mistakingly brought it up. Oops! My bad! She got so sad. Her friend picked up on this and told her it was ok to have those feelings but not too worry. She said "Kate was a bad egg - I'm not. I can't tell you how excited and appreciative I am that you have invited me along. Can't wait to see that Fantasmic show and see Mickey! And remember I have beaten you many times at Disney Scene-it!" My heart sailed! I think we found a "good-egg"!
    BTW- your M-I-L sounds just like mine! She doesn't see the 'magic' either!

Post Thanks / Like

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney, I hope you, your daughter, and her friend have the best time. She seems like she "gets it."

My sister and her family have intimated they want to join us this October. DW and I have reservations. They have never been to WDW and Disney is no Cedar Point. You need a completely different mindset. We don't want a repeat of that disastrous 2002 trip. After that one, we agreed "Never again!"
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Tony-
    If they want to join you maybe they should stay at a different resort than you. We went to WDW with good friends several years back. I love them dearly but we have also nicknamed them "the Bickersons". They'll argue about just about anything including the color of the sky! lol! Anyway having them stay at AS and us at POFQ was the solution. If we felt things were getting a little "too real" we went our own separate way. We also didn't have to listen to them on the bus back to the resort after a long day. This was their first trip to the World and we showed them what we loved but they also "explored" on their own. My DH was extremely apprehensive about spending too much time with them. He wondered "what if they don't like the same things about the parks that we do?" In the end it worked out perfectly. We didn't eat every meal together and we did EMH while they slept. We went to EPCOT while they did BB and so on. Maybe if you have this kind of plan it will be wonderful. BTW - did you tell them the difference between Cedar Point and WDW? Actually - did you tell them there is NO comparison?! LOL! I wish you luck!
    Pam
    AKA - LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney

Post Thanks / Like

The magic is there for those who want to see it. I sometimes think the problem is in the pricing. More and more, WDW is becoming a place that more and more cannot afford. It breaks my heart seeing families that saved for years to get to go - and then realize once they arrive how expensive everything truly is. I've seen many sad faces in The Emporioum because they simply can't afford a souvenier. I am not naive. I understand how the economy works. But some families go in with the best intentions and the magic is erased by sticker shock.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a trip coming up. My 14 y/o daughter wanted to bring a friend. My answer was no!! I don't need to chance a negative outside influence on a family trip. We do the big rides at other parks, (Six Flags, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, etc) that is not what Disney is all about. My kids asked me to cancel an already planned trip to the Cayman Islands this year to go back to Disney even though we went last year. Both also said no Universal this time, they just want to enjoy Disney for the whole trip and take advantage of the things to do outside of the 4 parks, TL, BB, DTD, and more resort amenities. I just wouldn't chance bringing a wet blanket to ruin all that enthusiasm. If a child we brought was complaining they were bored I would want to put them on a plane home early and enjoy the rest of my trip. We have had trips where we go with others. We have been lucky and have gone with people who enjoy WDW as much as we do, but we don't spend 100% of our time together either, it was probably more like 50%. This way we make our own family memories and they make theirs.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I think it could happen at any age. There seem to be people who just get the magic and connect with Disney parks and then people who don't get it and do not understand. Those are the people who say "you're going to Disney World, again?" Or can't believe that adults would go without children. Or think they're just boating by mannequins instead of seeing a whole world of fun and adventure in the details. We're obviously the people who get it and don't understand the "MK is boring" mentality, but to each her own. I don't think it has to do with age or generation.
    I agree..I went to WDW the first time as an adult and fell in love with it. We have been going back every year and never grow tired of it, there's always something new to experience. We like to sit back and pay attention to the details...those alone will amaze you. But then again, I have a very active imagination!!
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

My DD is 5, I know she will see the magic and love it. My DH has never been and he's the one I'm wondering about. I hope he sees the magic and sees how great the whole WDW Resort is.
    Off-site August 1986
    All Star Music May/June 1999
    Coronado Springs August 2012
    Animal Kingdom Lodge May 2017
    Port Orleans Riverside June 2022 (planned)

Post Thanks / Like

Different strokes for different folks. I have felt the magic of MK and all of WDW for that matter since I was 6 years old. The only thing I ever felt or thought was boring ever in all my years of visiting, was Epcot when I was a kid. Now, at 26 years old, Epcot is my favorite park. Its amazing how I learned to appreciate the park as I got older. MK has never been boring to me and I don't think it ever will. I love those slow moving rides.. you really get to take in the details of the ride. WDW won't please everyone, especially kids.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never tired of WDW..

I can empathize with the younger people that are "thrill seekers",and just don't get or appreciate what Disney is all about,but there are those of us"elders' that truly understand what all the hoopla is about. I am 56 years old ,have lived in Florida for 43 years. went to Disney the 1st year it opened,and cannot even estimate how many times I have been to the parks..a conservative guess would have to be co-lose to 100 times..i go to the parks 2 or 3 times a yearfor 2-3 days at a time.plus my wife and i try to attend either the Candlelight Processional or MVMCP each year..i am going over on July 1st and 2nd by myself just to be there..it is hard to describe the feeling of walking down Main Street,riding the monorail,or all the other "outdated rides',but you either get it or you don't... can remember as a child,the highlight of our weekend was on Sunday night watching Disney on NBC,along with Wild Kingdom...just one man's opinion..
    "Ive been to WDW more times in real life than I have posts on here!!!!"Not sure, but has to be over 100 times since 1971..absolutely my favorite place on Earth....

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is really sad. In this technology-obsessed generation, children are not being children. They are constantly connected to a device and are losing their ability to even communicate in a way other than texting. They grow up way too fast and have to be constantly stimulated in an extreme way to be happy. I see all too often, children who have no imagination and no creativity. To say that MK is boring because it doesn't have the extreme rides like the rest of the parks is disappointing. I can only hope that my daughters (5&9) find these attractions to be visually stimulating and a pleasant experience like I do. I also love TOT and EE but I know there is more to excitement than just stomach-churning drops and G-forces.
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWPrincess View Post
    The magic is there for those who want to see it.
    That is very true!!!
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatieDuck22 View Post
    to me thats just a sad relfection of how society strips magic away younger and younger. It's also sad they couldn't appreciate the magic of it all without looking for some "big drop". Long live the Magic Kingdom!!
    My sentiments EXACTLY!!! Especially the part about stripping the magic away younger and younger. Children are not children past the age of two!!! So sad!!!!!
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ali'sdad2003 View Post
    I can understand that taking kids for the 1st time at that age would result in that kind of response. I think, if you start taking the kids when they are younger, that the rides are not just entertainment but they become special because of the memories that go along with them. If you are looking for "Great America" type of rides, Disney is not the best place to go. You either understand the "Magic" or you don't. The "Magic" is why I keep going back. I imagine others feel the say way. The thrill rides are great but I would not miss any of the classics for anything.
    Perfectly said. Disney World, and in particular The Magic Kingdom, is all about the magic. It is an intangible that cannot be described.

Anyone looking for thrill rides is better off going to a Six Flags.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeFe View Post
    Anyone looking for thrill rides is better off going to a Six Flags.
    Or Universal Studios
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney View Post
    In 2010 we (hubby & I) took my 15 year old daughter and her friend to WDW. Before we left our room at the resort to start our park hopping, my husband told my daughters friend that she was going to "LOVE" MK having never visited before. Let me first say my husband is not the sentimental kind of guy. He tried to express to her how MK 'makes you feel' as you walk down Main St. and the happiness is infectious! My daughter & I both chimed in to reiterate his sentiments. After we had been at MK for about an hour the "friend" said how boring the park was and actually said she was disappointed that she had agreed to come on the trip. My daughter was crushed as were we. She repeated, throughout the course of the week, that she didn't enjoy any of the parks. One evening we had done the Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose. My daughter & I had planned this trip with the excitement of seeing Fantasmic. After dinner the "friend" said she was ill and needed to return to the resort. My daughter was torn. She wanted to be true to her friend but she wanted to see the show. In the end she returned to the resort with her friend and missed the show. It came out later that the friend only wanted to return to the resort b/c she had met some boys at the pool the night earlier and hoped to meet up with them again! My daughter was crushed. I felt bad as well. I guess the moral is not everyone can "feel" the Disney magic.
    I feel your pain. When my son was 14 we invited one of his friends to vacation with us in Southern California, including three days at Disneyland. While he was not as blunt about his lack of interest as your daughter's friend, it was clear early on that he did not share our enthusiasm for everything we were doing. It truly put a damper on the trip.

I think the thing that strikes me about your situation was how rude this girl was in voicing her opinions the way she did. Did her parents not teach her any manners? When someone has opened up their wallets and their lives to take another person on vacation, you expect them to make the best of it or at least be respectful.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: