Quantcast Guillermo del Toro announces "Haunted Mansion" movie

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guillermo del Toro announces "Haunted Mansion" movie

Weirdly enough, Disney announced this on its Facebook page, then minutes later took the announcement down, then reposted with the Comic-Con referenced stripped out.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

In his first move since deciding not to direct "The Hobbit" movies, Guillermo del Toro has decided to bring Disney's Haunted Mansion ride to the big screen.
    Del Toro announced his involvement in the project today at Comic-Con in a surprise appearance at the end of the "Tron" session. Before his appearance, he offered The Hollywood Reporter an exclusive account of how the project came together.

Del Toro, who checked out of "The Hobbit" in May because of ongoing production delays, will co-write and produce the movie, to be called "The Haunted Mansion." He may direct the film as well.

"It's going to be a thrill ride for the whole family but it's definitely going to be scary," he said. "(Walt) Disney is one of the creators of some of the scariest images in my childhood. People forget that he not only made sweet images but also images of nightmare. We need to honor that side of the legacy."

One thing is clear, though. The new Mansion movie will have no connection to Disney's earlier attempt to turn the ride into a movie with the 2003 Eddie Murphy supernatural comedy also titled "The Haunted Mansion."

Disney envisions the new movie as one that will draw in the four-quadrant audience with real scares, drawing upon Del Toro's ability to summon up fantastic images like those he created in "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy."

"We want a scary movie that's as scary as the ride. If you're 11 years old, you can go on the ride but it's still scary," said Disney production head Sean Bailey. "Tonally we're going to make a movie that is for families but is a fun and, at times, scary movie."
    The genesis for del Toro's involvement began with a conversation between Bailey and exec Brigham Taylor, who while going through the company's library alighted on "Mansion," which they thought could benefit from a retelling. Del Toro was in New Zealand at the time working on "The Hobbit," and Taylor flew down to visit the filmmaker to discuss "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark," a horror thriller del Toro was producing for Disney label Miramax.
    Taylor floated him the idea of redoing the Mansion movie, which del Toro sparked to do. But since he had his hands full with "Hobbit," he hoped that Disney could wait to develop "Mansion" until he was done with those movies.

Then, to the dismay of many Tolkien and film fans alike, del Toro stepped off "Hobbit" in late May. "Part of the reason I had to get back is that I had projects pending. There were other obligations that were clashing," he said.

There was no time for mourning as he immediately went back to work on the other projects that had been put in deep freeze, as he puts it. But he also wanted to tackle "Mansion" as soon as possible. "It's not a movie I could postpone," he said. "'Haunted Mansion' will take special development."

So he and Disney started up talks again. The ride has long been one of del Toro's obsessions. He was three the first time he rode it and even now uses it as a form of therapy. "When I'm depressed or when I have a problem, I ride the Haunted Mansion ride to clear my head," he confessed.

He even has a room dedicated to "Mansion" in his home -- filled with secret bookcases, wallpaper from the original ride, and original art from Imagineer and "Mansion" ride co-designer Marc Davis -- something at which Bailey and Taylor marveled when they went over on a Saturday for a brainstorming session.

That session was such a success Disney began to quietly put a deal in place. Del Toro will co-write the script with Matthew Robbins, with whom he wrote his 1997 film "Mimic" and the upcoming "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark," as well as produce. Whether he directs will be decided at a later date and depend on the status of his other projects.

The "Mansion" ride opened at Disneyland in 1969 and also has been a fixture at Walt Disney World since the 1970s. Walt Disney began drawing up plans for the attraction before his death in 1966, but without Disney as the final arbiter, the ride developed and ultimately combined two distinct visions: a scary and dark one, led by Imagineers Rolly Crump and Claude Coats, and a more humorous, tongue-in-check approach, led by Davis.

"The result is a unique combination of dark and fun," said del Toro. "I want to really honor the two sensibilities."

One of its conceits, which the movie will also use, is that the mansion is home to 999 haunts and 999 ghosts (with room for one more!).

Specific plot details -- as well as what kind of creatures will be featured -- are being guarded as if shut in a coffin, but one ghost that will appear is the Hatbox Ghost, who is dressed in a cloak and top hat, and whose head disappears and reappears in a hatbox the ghost holds in his hand.

""There are several mansions around the world and he is the spider in the center of the web of these mansions around the world," said del Toro. "He will be a pivotal figure in the screenplay."

Del Toro and Disney are anticipating a longer-than-usual development process. He wants to not only nail down a script but also the designs of the ghostly multitude.

He also wants to spend time creating a visually stylized world not just for the mansion but for the "real" world as well, mixing the ideas of the original concept drawing with his own visual signature. The last thing he wants is a mansion movie with a creaky musty tone.

"We want to make a haunted house movie for the 21st century," he said.

Del Toro is repped by WME and Exile Entertainment

-- Borys Kit
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oy Vey!

This is a joke right?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Another reboot...

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I applaud a rather gutsy move. The first movie completely missed the mark on the frightening/ funny mix and the whole thing came out as trivial and silly. My only concern is that now the pendulum may swing too far in the other direction. Still, it sounds as if he has a rather long history with the attraction and therefore he should have a pretty good grasp of the proper Coats/ Davis mix...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really excited to hear this news! I think he will turn this into the movie the first one should have been. I enjoyed the first one, but it could have been so much more. I hope they get it right this time! But not so scary that my 4 year old (who will probably be 7 by the time this hits theatres) can't see it. She LOVES HM, it was her favorite ride and looks forward to it next time!
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

I am so excited for this! The first movie was kind of a disappointment, but seeing how this guy specializes in scary movies AND has a lifelong love of the ride, it seems perfect!
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

i think this just might actually be a good one with this guy. and i am usually very skeptical of these movies.
    -Beth

"For the last time, we did not order a giant trampoline! "

--------------

*first trip 1977
    *first trip on property - CR 1982 EPCOT opening
    * most recent trips: *Feb 08 & Nov 08 - CS, POFQ
    *Dec 2009 - POLY!
    *Jan 2011 - CR / POFQ & SEPTEMBER 2011 - POLY!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this has potential to be very good. del Toro is a very good director. Just take a look at Pans Labyrinth if you haven't seen it yet. Visually stunning, good story line and the characters are well developed.

And even though his Hellboy movies weren't the greatest they were visually stunning.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I'm excited about the Del Toro revealed in another interview yesterday is that the Hatbox Ghost will be reappearing in the rides soon. I know for sure he will be back in the DLR ride and is rumored also to show up in the WDW ride, but that is not confirmed. I had heard for sometime that they were working on perfecting the HBG technology, so I can't wait to see him back.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am excited by this. I think that this could turn out to be quite awesome.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

He does a very good job! This should be great!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Anything would be better than the last attempt at HM. I just hope del Torro goes easy on the fantasy-violence and despair.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: