Quantcast "Preferred" Parking?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Westchester County, New York (NYC for work)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Preferred" Parking?

Do the parks offer any preferred parking options (at an added fee, of course) when you visit and pay for parking?

If it's offered, I'm considering it for our trip; we're not staying in the World and we'll have a toddler (2.5yo daughter) who will NEED to take a break every day, but an 11yo (and us 2 adults) who won't want to miss a thing. To help keep the balance, the quickest entry and exit possible will likely be super helpful.
    We picked our second choice resort for this same reason (as it's a lot closer to WDW than our first choice).

Our trip is 9/5 - 9/13, so it will be hot and breaks will be essential.

Thoughts?
    Strategies?

THANKS!
    1978 - I have no idea, I was 5.
    1997 - (August) Carribean Beach with the guys.
    2003 - (December) Offsite for 2 weeks, ultimate honeymoon destination.
    2007 - (May) Marriott Courtyard for 2 days before a cruise.
    2010 - (September) Marriott's Sabal Palms. Gosh it was hot.
    2011 - ??

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, getting to and from your car isn't bad at all, no matter where you park. The tram system they have is very efficient, and we've never waited more than a couple minutes for one to take us to our parking section the few times we've driven from our WDW resort to a park.

You shouldn't have any issues with the parking at WDW theme parks.

I've read about AAA Diamond Preferred Parking, but I don't know if they still have that at the parks. All of the info I've found is from 2003 and earlier. I did see a recent blog about getting this preferred AAA Diamond parking when they booked a Magic Your Way package through CAA.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. At one time there was AAA Diamond parking for those who booked their vacations through AAA. But I don't know if that is even offered now.

To keep from wasting time going back and forth, get the toddler a comfy stroller and find a nice secluded spot to help her "rest" in the shade or in a cooler building. Even sitting in Cosmic Rays (MK) can be a nice respite. You and your spouse can take turns running around with your 11 year old. Not the best solution, but much less stressful than trying to go in and out of the parks with a tired two year old and irritated 11 year old. Just food for thought.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

In the 15 years that I have regualrly driven to WDW, all I can say is the early bird gets the best parking spots. They generally fill from front to back. Also though, for parking lots with huge walking hikes like TTA at MK - use the trams (as another poster pointed out). In AK I've never parked as far away as the bus stop pick-up is located, but I also start out very early (from 70 miles away I might add) and arrive early in the lot and stay quite late.

Taking in little park rests (naps) is essential for me, since my home is so far away from WDW, leaving is not an option. Some of my favorite cozy nap places include:
    Hall of Presidents
    The American Adventure
    The Movie in France
    People Mover
    The WDW Railroad (if you can sleep through the horn toots).
    The Steam Boat Ride (if you can sleep through the Twain Marking, ha-hah)
    Any of the 3-D movies & shows - especially Little Mermaid - cool, dark and relaxing.
    Sound Dangerous (a particular favorite w/o the headphones on).
    Any nice shady bench

For me 15-23 minutes is enough to refresh - then I'm on my way again!

Hope this helps!
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

When I drove, I always followed the green line! Shhh....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    What's that all about?
    2011 - ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    I don't think so. At one time there was AAA Diamond parking for those who booked their vacations through AAA. But I don't know if that is even offered now.
    They do still have the diamond parking with AAA. However, it's not all that great. At MK and DHS it's a pretty good walk, even though the parking is "close." It's actually a good bit faster to take the tram. Epcot and DAK is a little better but it's still not all that much better than taking the trams which drop you off right at the front gate.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you mean the BLUE line?

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been so long since I drove, maybe it was blue... It got to be I knew where I was going, so I just went, didn't pay attention to the stripes on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLegos View Post
    Don't you mean the BLUE line?
    The blue line is the one for handicapped and AAA parking, so don't follow that one unless you have the right document (Diamond Parking Pass or handicapped card).
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
    What's that all about?
    It's been so long since I drove, maybe it was blue... It got to be I knew where I was going, so I just went, didn't pay attention to the stripes on the ground.
    Just checking. For MikeyP - The blue line in the lot leads to the front of the parking lot. But it is designated for Handicaped Parking. Ususally you have to flash a Handicap Permit hang tag to get past the CM "guarding" the area. (I often take my wheelchair bound Grandmother or ECV using Aunt so I know about the blue painted line and special parking area.) When I go without them - I park where I'm told.

If you don't have a hang tag, the CM points you to the parking area just outside the Handicapped parking area which is usually closer to the front entrance than wherever they are sending the cars in mass. Never did this, just saw other cars getting directed out of the H.P. area...

There is another color line (I think it is red but don't quote me) and it directs you to the drop off area of the parking lot). Great for local parents to use to drop off their kids for the day on their way to work, I guess. Never used this though (I have no kids & no one to drop me off, LOL)!

Post Thanks / Like

Then maybe it was the green line, for Kennel Club parking.

Post Thanks / Like

Then maybe it was the green line, for Kennel Club parking.
    Cool!

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed off property at 7 different resorts and our strategy was tweaked slightly each time. Where will you be? In any case, we've always had great trips and MOST of the time were able to return to our resort for a mid afternoon break.
    If it was a little too far for that we took mini breaks in the park as pp mentioned and/or Disney resort hopped finding that the monorail, buses, boats were relaxing and then we would get a cool drink and locate a comfy chair in the lobby to crash for awhile. Echo the opinion that getting to/from parking has never been much of a problem. Longest time required is for MK, of course, since there's an extra step involved getting from the parking lot to the park. So, yes, in your planning you need to factor in time for leaving/returning to the parks but honestly if your resort is not too far from WDW it likely won't take much longer for your break than it would if you were staying on property. Do remember you'll have to pay to park but only once per day. Have a magical trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andreallybadeggs View Post
    We've stayed off property at 7 different resorts and our strategy was tweaked slightly each time. Where will you be?
    We'll be at Marriott's Sabal Palms.
    2011 - ??

Post Thanks / Like

Our kids were your youngest one's age when we began taking them and driving our own vehicle worked best for us. We found the AAA diamond parking to be great. We usually get to the parks at opening in the morning so sometimes we wouldn't use it. For example - at MK - it was off to the left a bit and when we'd arrive prior to opening, we were closer if we did regular parkingat MK is still nice and close. It also really didn't make much difference at DHS.

Where we found it most helpful was when we'd return to the parks. We'd normally go back to the resort to cool off and return for the evening. Going directly to AAA parking helped us avoid searching around for the closest open spot.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
    We'll be at Marriott's Sabal Palms.
    We stayed there last week (great resort, by the way) and went back to the resort every afternoon. I agree that parking at Epcot, AK and DHS is quick and painless (walking from the parking and/or using the trams), but MK is another story for me. That is the one park I don't enjoy getting into and out of when staying off-site or visiting for the day. No matter how you cut it, it's at least a 30 minute process from parking lot to front gate.

Overall though, we found getting back to the Sabal Palms an easy process, although we seemed to go back every day a different way. LOL! We finally found that going down to the Gaylord Palms, turning left and taking the road behind the Nickelodeon Hotel, then crossing over to the Marriott worked best for us. Sorry I don't know all the road names.

Post Thanks / Like

We managed to park in the employees only parking lot at HS. We went in a back entrance and had to park there. The tram people didn't believe us when we told them where we parked. My stupid navigation system took me to the wrong entrance but hey it worked out. LOL I wish they did offer preferred parking cause I think I would pay for it.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    We managed to park in the employees only parking lot at HS. We went in a back entrance and had to park there. The tram people didn't believe us when we told them where we parked. My stupid navigation system took me to the wrong entrance but hey it worked out. LOL I wish they did offer preferred parking cause I think I would pay for it.
    That's too cool! Our GPS also had us end up in a back lot somewhere, but we were directed out to the main lot

We drove a lot on our last trip, and I was amazed at how quickly we could get back to our car, the trams were always ready and waiting.

So, I don't think Disney needs to get into the preferred parking busines (although, if they can make more $$, I'm sure they will), since it works quite efficiently the way it is.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a 2 and a half year old daughter and I find that the quality of the nap she gets has a direct relation to how her mood is later on. So I always take her for a nap in the afternoon, back at the hotel. We've stayed both on and off site and done this and getting to your car is really not that difficult. Just make sure you give yourself like a ten minute window... If I see her temper getting shorter I start heading for the gate! Have fun!

Oh and I've also heard the baby care centers are pretty nice too!
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: