Quantcast Rude encounters in the parks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rude encounters in the parks?

Overall we had a great time in on our WDW vacation last month, but there were a couple of people that really stood out and left an impression. One evening we were trying to get out of the park during Wishes (we had planned to watch it another night) and we were following another person through the crowd and she abruptly stopped to watch, so we decided rather than try to continue to push through, which would be impossible, to just stop and watch the show too. Suddenly I felt a stroller get pushed up against my leg and a man yelled "MOVE!" He sounded really angry and I just looked at him and told him I can't move. Every so often, I would feel a nudge from that stroller and hear him grumble. We were packed like sardines in there and this man has the nerve to yell at us to move?

Another day, it was crowded in Fantasy Land when there was a woman being pushed in a wheelchair by a teenaged girl and the woman was yelling "BEEP BEEP!" and glaring at everyone in her path! My daughter had to back up when she was pushing through and almost fell onto a stroller behind her.

We all were feeling the heat, we all wished it were less croweded, but most of us did not feel the need to be so rude to each other. We had a great time in spite of the heat and the crowds, but unfortunatly those two very rude people did affect our day ... anyone else have rude encounters that stand out?
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I had some experiences as you describe. Not pleasant, but it happens with crowds. I was on Pirates of the Caribbean with my family, back row. The whole rest of the boat, all seated in front of us, were snapping flash pictures, and the flash of the camera in front of me was blinding me and I'm sensitive to migraines. So I leaned over and asked him very politely if he would stop taking flash pictures, as it wasn't allowed on the ride anyway. His wife yelled at me that they never said it wasn't allowed, to which my husband observed that yes, they said it twice before we left the docking area. Anyway, the man stopped taking pictures, thank goodness (though the people in front of him kept it up throughout).

At the end of the ride, this couple informed the rest of the family (about twenty people) that I was a jerk for making up my own rules and trying to stop people from having fun. Then as we dispersed into the gift shop, one of the women (with small children in tow, lovely) proclaimed she was going to find me and "crack" me right there on the spot.

We left the area and laughed, didn't let it ruin our good time. But in the back of my mind, I did fear that I would be one of those people we talk about who ends up in a fight at WDW and later in some kind of legal action. Oh my!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time...Disney was much better at controlling rude guests, including flash photography....but I notice that CM's now tend to look the other way, to avoid confrontation. Unfortunately, this seems to lead to more rude guests.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

When were at MK this past February we were waiting on Main Street for the parade. We were kind of second in line so to speak because there was a family in front of us right on the curb and they asked if my DD would like to sit with their kids, which I thought was very nice. It was a family with extended family i.e. grandma and grandpa. We all were waiting and about ten minutes before the parade starts this couple walks up to my left with two strollers and basically starts pushing them towards the curb and making all sorts of comments about people making space for her kids. Finally she says to the older man (the grandpa), 'SIR, can you move so my kids can see the parade." To which his wife replied, "We've been here for over an hour waiting," basically like, if you were so concerned you would have gotten here early like the rest of us. This woman continued to make comments the whole time and was slowly pushing her stroller forward with one of her girls literally kicking the back of this man. I was so aggravated and the woman's husband looked like he wanted to die. She was basically right next to me complaining the whole time and making really loud comments. Her husband finally got her to shut up and move and we all just looked at each other horrified. She was by far the most obnoxious woman I've ever encountered at Disney.
    Tricia
    Disney crazed wife to Todd
    Mom to Anthony 16 and Maggie 9

Beach Club - November '13
    Villas @ WL - June '12
    BLT - September '11
    Poly - September '10
    AKL - February '10
    POFQ - September '08
    Off property - October '04
    POR - September '01
    off property many times since '78

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    Once upon a time...Disney was much better at controlling rude guests, including flash photography....but I notice that CM's now tend to look the other way, to avoid confrontation. Unfortunately, this seems to lead to more rude guests.
    What drives me nuts about that is that in most cases the flashes aren't even strong enough to make a difference. Plus, it's so dark in most of those places that even with the flash, the pictures are going to be awful. Why take pictures on a ride like that anyway?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    What drives me nuts about that is that in most cases the flashes aren't even strong enough to make a difference. Plus, it's so dark in most of those places that even with the flash, the pictures are going to be awful. Why take pictures on a ride like that anyway?
    People always do it even though the pictures come out terribly. I'm not sure if they're just VERY inexperienced photographers who don't know better, or they don't care .

I work at another tourist attraction, and we show a short film. Some customers will video tape the film (doesn't bother us- no rule against it, and they don't use a light so it doesn't disturb other customers), but a few times people have been taking flash photos of the movie. It's really distracting to everyone behind them, and whatever they were trying to capture in the picture is usually gone by the time they take it, because the film's shots are so fast.

Post Thanks / Like

We were on PIrate's and encountered the same problem with the flashes. I heard a CM over the PA system say no flash photography was allowed. I can honestly say I understand why CM don't confront guests about bad behavior. In this day and age, I wouldn't confront or provoke anyone.

We were in a very tight crowd making out way from LIberty SQ to Main ST after Wishes. Everybody was cool and patient about it.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I had an experience the last time we rode Pirates -- I was the one with the camera. I had turned the flash off, but did not realize that with my new(er) camera, the autofocus feature has a little strobe that goes off to allow the camera to focus in the dark. Once I realized what it was doing, I turned the camera off and put it away.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Once I realized what it was doing, I turned the camera off and put it away.
    I, too, had a flash go off accidently on a ride and immediately put it away after that. I was certainly ! This sort of thing, however, is a bit different than folks who consistently flaunt the rules by continuing to snap flash pictures on dark rides, talking through the entire ride, sending one person into the line and then having another 15 or 20 members of the group weave through the line to "catch up", or trying to push their way to the front at the last minute for parade viewing. Unfortunately, I think we've all had these experiences.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately people don't check their rudeness at the door when they enter a Disney Park. It usually show itself during Fireworks and Parades the most. In June I was hit by a scooter and ended up with several cuts on my leg as the driver who knew she had hit proceeded to simply drive away not even checking if I was ok Part of the problem is with Disney and their lack of crowd control & rule enforcement.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, it wasn't the flash photography that bothered me nearly as much as the family's behavior afterwards. I don't know the kind of people who threaten others with bodily harm or say they're going to "crack" someone- in front of their own small children! This kind of behavior blows my mind. I felt like they stepped off the set at the Jerry Springer show. Yes, the flash photography was bad enough, but I would have understood if they really didn't know or it was an innocent mistake. This family's behavior was beyond the pale.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I am convinced that the worst behavior in folks comes out during parades. Most issues I've had with other guests at Disney parks has occured while waiting for and watching parades.

Post Thanks / Like

People like this really make an impact on your day. The crowd during the Wishes fireworks show was definately the worst experience I've ever had. We were literally moving an inch a minute, people shoving and ramming strollers into people. I'm not a claustrophobic person, but I felt so trapped trying to get out of the park that night. I understand that there is a large crowd and that everyone is trying to get out. But it's the rude behavior that makes it so horrible! If everyone could be patient and respectful, I believe it would really help to quicken the pace to leave the park. I don't think it should be up to the CM to control the crowd. It would be impossible with a crowd that large! As grown adults, they should know to be respectful and wait their turn, and therefore set a good example for their kids.

As for the flash photography, it can definately ruin the experience of the ride. I can understand wanting a picture of the cool things you see in the rides, but the picture most likely won't turn out well anyway. If the flash isn't turned on, then go for it. No harm in that.

People seem to think that their family has priority over anyone else when it comes to the parades and such. I say it's first come, first serve. If you've been waiting an hour to get a good spot, then you deserve to have that spot.

At the acrabat show at Epcot in the China pavillion, we got in a little late and were in the back in standing room behind the last bench. We didn't try to push our way up or anything and respected everyone else who had gotten there first. However, and teenage girl shoved her way in front of me, then stood on top of the bench right in front of me to get a better view, therefore blocking my view of the show. I thought this was very rude to me and everyone who was standing behind her. We decided to leave the show after about 10 minutes, because we just could not see.

*2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge--in progress*
    *2010 Polynesian*
    *2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge*
    *2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    In my case, it wasn't the flash photography that bothered me nearly as much as the family's behavior afterwards. I don't know the kind of people who threaten others with bodily harm or say they're going to "crack" someone- in front of their own small children! This kind of behavior blows my mind. I felt like they stepped off the set at the Jerry Springer show. Yes, the flash photography was bad enough, but I would have understood if they really didn't know or it was an innocent mistake. This family's behavior was beyond the pale.
    I know, some of those people are just scary! Like the "Beep Beep" lady as we now call her, she gave us such a hateful look as she glared at us, like she would beat us up, or, since she was in a wheelchair, run us over, if we didn't get out of her way! That sort of behavior is just uncalled for and makes you wonder how they can still be so miserable when they are at the Happiest Place on Earth!

On a more positive note, at least most of the people at the parks were pleasant and polite. I was even offered seats at least three times on the busses and monorails where there was standing room only, and those are outstanding memories as well!
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that parades are probably the worst. During our trip last year (May '09) we were trying to make our way through AK to Asia. The parade apparently finished before we made it, and all of a sudden there was a mad rush of people, all shouting about EE, and getting there first. We had formed a chain by grabbing onto each other's backpack so we would not get separated. During that, I got smacked in the face by someone's backpack, rammed in the ankle by a stroller, and then a woman pushed her child and herself between me and my sister and separated our party, so that she could get back there before us. After all that abuse, we just said forget it, lets go relax at the resort!
    Disney dreaming in progress....

April 2016- Polynesian!

May 2014- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

August 2010- Polynesian!

May 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

July 2008- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Post Thanks / Like

I've encountered plenty of rude CM's, some I remember very clearly, but that's a different story. I've also encountered rude guests but I don't seem to remember them now. I do remember being in a really long line for free hot chocolate during MVMCP, and talking to a very nice lady in line behind me. I also remember a cute, funny couple in the Grand Floridian that joked around with my brother, and we still talk about them often! I just wish the rude ones would leave their attitudes at home or else not bother with a vacation
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

this past March we were in Fantasyland at night and my 2.5 year old was walking on the path between IASWA and Peter Pan when this lady on a motorized scooter talking on her cell phone steared right into the path of my son. Thankfully I was able to pick up my son before the collision. The lady never noticed us.

I do have to say that 90% of guests are decent and respectful of others.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    I do have to say that 90% of guests are decent and respectful of others.
    I agree that most people are really great, and the good maybe don't stand out as much because there are more of them. But they do make every trip more wonderful. Thank goodness for polite, decent, considerate people.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Just like with the parades and fireworks, we have observed people acting like animals while boarding the parking lot trams. We have had a few incidences where people have basically knocked us out of the way to get on ahead of us. However the worst behavior we had ever seen at the parks was one night as MK was closing and people were waiting for trams. One family cut in front of another family. While the tram was sitting and waiting to depart, both parties began screaming and cursing and using the worst language I have ever heard and threatening to beat each other up. We were utterly appalled that people would behave like this especially in front of so many children including their own. We were also appalled that CM's just ingnored what was happenening and did nothing!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Chalk me up as another one who has encountered most bad behavior during parade/fireworks time. It constantly amazes me how people will walk up at the very last minute and just try to push and shove their way to the front. I try not to be uncharitable at Disney, but no way you're getting in front of my family after we patiently waited an hour beforehand for our spot. Uh-uh. Sorry!

I have to say, though, that there are are a few other spots where bad behavior seems to come out in folks and that's anywhere they have a poorly defined ride queue (think Haunted Mansion stretching room exit). I cannot tell you the number of folks I've had to endure pushing and shoving and outright stampeding just to gain a place or two in line.

I had this teen boy one time who was one of the last people into the elevator. He clearly was an experience HM vet, because he spent almost the entire pre-show worming his way through the crowd to make his way over to the exit doors ... where my family and I happened to be standing. I saw him working his way over and I knew what he was doing and I basically refused to get out of his way. He eventually resorted to literally wedging himself between me and the wall so he could be behind me and first out of the elevator.

I didn't exactly threaten him physically, but suffice it to say that I gave him a look and a tongue lashing that sent him skulking away in a hurry.

I swear ... common courtesy and manners are dead anymore. Everyone is out for themselves and beware anyone who would get in their way.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: