Quantcast RV purchase advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question RV purchase advice

I do a lot of tent camping, but I am thinking about looking into an RV - most likely a fairly roomy travel trailer for a family of 3 plus maybe 1-2 guests. DW won't do tents.

I know there are hundreds of models out there, but does anyone have any good or bad experiences with manufacturers or advice on a specific model? Any other info I should think about while looking? Thanks for your help.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got one for sale!

While I do, I say that with tongue in cheek, sort of. What you need to examine is what you will tow it with, what conveniences you need, what sort of air conditioning/heating you want, how expansive you wish the interior, etc.

We have a Chevy Tahoe pulling a model 23SS (24-foot closed) Rockwood Roo hybrid trailer (that means its two queen-sized beds fold out, front and back, providing more living space than the average 24-footer, but adding a little work at the start and end of a trip to unfold and fold). These can be a cost savings compared to other trailers, and are fairly light.

It has a full kitchen, full bath (well, shower), 30 AMP. It sleeps two couples easily with room for maybe two more adults (3-4 more kids).

If you're towing, start with your vehicle, then find what it can tow, find how large a trailer you can pull, determine what kind (pop-up, hybrid, traditional, etc.). We've like our Roo, but we just don't use it enough. Loved Fort Wilderness with it, though!

Do you plan to use the way-stations for cleanup or do you want privacy? Popups can provide sleeping/eating privacy if you will wander down the road to the head and/or shower. Our Roo can do it all, as can other full trailers.

I've generally seen Forest River (makers of Rockwood) to be well made and relatively inexpensive for what you get. I'm sure others will chime in.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased a couple of camping trailers through the years and my advice is DON"T BUY A NEW ONE. You can save so MUCH $$$ by buying a used one and there are so MANY on the market right now you will have no trouble finding a previously owned RV that has barely been used. There are many people that get decide to buy a brand new RV, use it only a couple of times and then decide they they are not into the RV thing. Let them take the depreciation hit. We bought a used Rockwood pop-up several years ago that was 2 years old. It had only been taken camping 2 times and the stove and furnace never even been lit. It was exactly in the same condition as a new one only I paid only 50% of the cost of a new one of the same model. Even better, I sold it 3 years later after we had used it 10-15 times for the same amount as I paid for it. FREE CAMPING! (Note: I took really good care of it, but you can't do that after buying a new one, no matter how well you take care of it.)

The only problem with buying an RV (new or used) is the bewildering number of choices out there. I'd say go to an RV show first with DW and look through different styles to see what you like, then look for used ones like you are attracted to. There are several good web-sites where used RV's are offered (by the thousands).

Better yet, try to find someone in your community with one you can borrow or rent and actually try it out for a weekend. Then you get an idea of whether you really like that style, or want to try something different.

Good Luck!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

i use to work at an rv dealership working on rv's.basically their all the same in the way there built just different names put on them,so dont brand shop.find out what your vehicle can pull safely.pop ups are low dollar but do require setting up.travel trailers are next with basic set up being leveling the unit as with all campers.they pull ok but can sway sometimes if the tow vehicle isnt the proper size.there pulled from the bumper of the vehicle.fifth wheels are next in line and are what my dw and i are going to purchase.there towed from the center of the bed of a truck(if you dont have a pu truck the other two are fine.)like a semi.very stable and for me easy to maneuver but you may have to practice on backing up on any of them(having to turn the steering wheel the opposite direction can be a little confusing but you should learn quickly).you will need a fifth wheel hitch installed but they can be removed easily when not needed.as i said find out from you vehicle manufacturer not the rv dealer what your vehicle can tow safely and happy camping.32 days till disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I have purchased a couple of camping trailers through the years and my advice is DON"T BUY A NEW ONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by micky95 View Post
    i use to work at an rv dealership working on rv's.basically their all the same in the way there built just different names put on them,so dont brand shop.
    Absolutely on both counts! We bought ours used, took relatively good care, and are looking for most of what we bought it for (and that was 50% of new). And while you don't necessarily have to brand shop for quality of construction, some do have better services and reputations than others. If you aren't ultra-handy and fixing your own refrigerator ( ), make sure someone near you will work well on it.

Also, instead of brand shopping so much, 'dealer' shop. And if you buy from an individual, google them, look up their information for what they provide to you.

Always get it inspected before, or write in to the contract may return within XX days if does not pass inspection. I don't know what different states require (research that too), but Maryland requires full inspection before getting the permanent registration tag.

And take it out as often as you can!!!!! We couldn't, owing to new schedules. But do it!

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a dealership that sells your brand of vehicle.Ask them to get you a "build sheet"for you vehicle(they'll need the vin).Then check the tow capacity before you shop for an RV.Salesman and internet sights are full of incorrect info.Trying to tow over your capacity is dangerous and will be hard on your tow vehicle at the least.
    There can be aditional cost depending on what you buy regarding brake controls and weight distributing hitches also,some are very expensive.Hitch set up is also a cost that you may want to look at before you buy.
    Last I recomend used but with a very careful inspection.There are to many points to list here.New or used they require time and money for maitenance and repairs.
    RV.net is a pretty good resource but beware of mis-information.
    Fort Wilderness 4/16/11
    Fort Wilderness 4/10

Fort Wilderness 11/09
    Fort Wilderness 11/08
    P/O Riverside 4/04
    P/O french Quarter 4/03
    Off Property 10/02
    Off property 2/00
    Off propertt 2/96
    Off property 2/95

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: