Quantcast Thoughts on Tom Sawyer's Island...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on Tom Sawyer's Island...

With the closure of the Winnie the Pooh play area the only place I can think of to let my rather rowdy 2 year old down to explore is going to be at Tom Sawyers Island. We've been to Disney multiple times and have never ventrued over to TSI.

So what is it all about? I always pictured it more for kids agest 4 or 5 and up. I know my 4 year old will love it. But is there enough running around room for my 2 year old that won't send me into a panic attack?

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There's lots of running around room, BUT.... I would be worried about losing my child. There are trails and caves. There are a few more open areas that, once you get to them, you could let him run a bit. I let my husband and 10 year old wander off and I couldn't find them for about 20 minutes. That was my fault having never been over there before. I just didn't realize how big it was. But, we loved it and we found a paintbrush, so my son was very proud (even though I'm the one who found the paintbrush).

Post Thanks / Like

The island is a great place to let young ones blow off some steam. As it tends to not be all that crowded it's a nice place in general to sort of escape the Magic Kingdom crowds for a little while.

I'll say this, we used to enjoy it more when Aunt Polly's was open and we could grab a quite lunch there...but it's still nice.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

Post Thanks / Like

There is a playground area on TSI also, but you'll have to keep a close eye on a two year old. TSI is a big area, consisting of two islands, and it would be easy to lose sight of a 2 year old very quickly. Like someone else mentioned there are caves and tunnels, easy to hide or get lost.

My boys loved the place, but they were 6 & 9 on our first visit. We let them run all around and blow off energy while DW & I rested in the rockers on the porch at Aunt Polly's. Nice!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I think he will enjoy the "Fort" area. Getting there he cannot run loose, but it is an adventure trail. With close attention, he can do some of the adventures. We enjoy getting away from sidewalks and crowds.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the PP that this area would be a good area for your young ones. It is a good way to let them run and climb and use their imaginations. I wished we had venture over to the island before last summer as my DS 8 loved it. We saw several families who had young ones. I think your kids would love the short boat ride over as well.

Enjoy!
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We spent some time there with our 21mth old last November. It was a great area to let loose (with supervision of course). The caves are really dark and I recall there being a somewhat dilapitated bridge over water inside a cave. I was a little amazed that it seemed so much in disrepair as my rambucitious boy would surely have gone off the rail had I not been there holding his hand.

Post Thanks / Like

you know i never really have explored the island, maybe next time i go i will
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We love TSI. Get there early and find a paint brush...
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Every trip we try and find a new place that we have overlooked and never visited before. Our trip last May led us to TSI. Although I do not have little ones....I know that it would be a great place to come with them. As others have mentioned...it is not crowded and as long as you can keep up with them...there is so much space to explore. I grew up in the country as a child and got to do a lot of play and exploring outside during the summer months. Being here reminds me of that time. The fort, the caves and trails and the playground are great for all ages. It is also great place to explore and get some photos from a different perspective of the "mainland". I am looking forward to exploring it again during our next trip. DD is 16 and she loved it too! She wants to find a paintbrush during our next trip!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a teen my sister and I were allowed to go off by ourselves for awhile and we wound up on Tom Sawyer Island. We loved it! We ran around reading the signs out loud and just acted like little kids. More than 30 years later (yikes!) I still remember what a great time we had.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

When my son was 17 months, we took him to TSI. We explored the island with him. I found, unless you let the child run wild, losing the child really isn't going to happen. That area is designed for children to run with reckless abandon.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please explain the paintbrushes to me I'm not familiar with them. We will be going to WDW in September with DD8

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that, now that I'm 42, I enjoy the rocking chairs there on the Island more than the caves.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

My son who is 13 still loves this place. Of course he and his cousin are old enough to run around on their own now so me and my husband find a seat and relax or play checkers.

Two things I suggest: Put a time limit on how long you stay. Our limit is 30 mins. And make sure you bring over something to drink. The time of year we go, the refreshment stand is closed, the kids are always thristy over there. I don't know if it is the hot trip over to the island or all of the running around. They do have a soda machine there but unless you have unfolded dollar bills you are out of luck.

As far as the paint brushes go, they are hidden on the island, I believe 5 or 6 of them. If you find them a cast member will give you a certificate or a fast pass (can't remember which). I believe that most of the time the brushes are found as soon as the island opens. Make that your first stop if it is important for your kids to find them.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: