Quantcast Which Monorail hotel??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Monorail hotel??

My DW and I have settled on taking our 3 DKs to WDW next Christmas. We would like to stay at a monorail hotel for the first time. I like the Poly and she likes GF. Contemp is third on both our lists. Which would you recommend?
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My husband and I would suggest Poly. We have not been able to stay at any of the three but Poly would be our first choice, then Contem. then GF. Wish you the best in your decision. You can't go wrong with any of them. I hear the resorts are beautiful at Christmas time.
    WDW trips 76-77 off site 78-83 Vacation Villas 85,88, Club Lake Villas 88-89-91,95,99-00,03-05,07-08,09-11 Caribbean Beach 96-98,02 Boardwalk Villas 06 Boardwalk Inn/
    Go Boilers!![/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

All three are nice...my wife loves the poly, I love the contemporary, and the nicest of all is the GF...draws names out of a hat and you will come up with a great choice.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poly...have not stayed at the GF and did not like the Contemporary.

Have a wonderful time at whichever resort you pick!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly is also great 'cause you can walk to the TTC and the Epcot Monorail as well!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    The Poly is also great 'cause you can walk to the TTC and the Epcot Monorail as well!
    Wow! That is a great point that I never even considered.
    K. White

WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010

Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough call. I've stayed at all three and the GF and Poly are pretty close for me. You'll be happy at either one. The Contemporary felt a little cavernous and busy for my taste, but I liked it, too-- just not as much as the other two. I think a lot of people overlook all that the GF has to offer because the atmosphere isn't as automatically relaxing. You can't beat the lush tropical environment of the Poly for setting a tone.

But, the GF has two fantastic pools (which both blow away the Poly pools, for me, though the Volcano pool is pretty cool). The GF has better shops and a much more relaxed lobby. Fancier, maybe, but not as busy or crowded. Restaurants, depends on taste but I prefer the GF offerings there, too. Of course, they are close enough for you to enjoy the restaurants/shopping at both. Transportation? About the same at each, but the monorail is an easier catch at the Poly plus you can walk to the TTC, as someone else mentioned. Though, the bus stop is more relaxed and better organized at the GF. And, the GF has hot tubs, which are great for relaxing at the start of or end of a busy day. My husband and I prefer the GF, but our kids (now a teen and an adult) prefer the Polynesian.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    the poly is also great 'cause you can walk to the ttc and the epcot monorail as well!
    mte

Post Thanks / Like

My vote would be for the Contemporary (we stayed on the 12th floor in 2002, and it was by far my most favorite place we've stayed ever!) Nothing beats that Magic Kingdom view and the ease of getting on the Monorail right from the hotel. At the GF you have to walk to the main bldg (unless you're staying there) to get to the Monorail. I love the GF (stayed in the main bldg twice), but to me it just doesn't have the same magical view. You do get a great view of the Electrical Water Parade, but I love the fireworks and waking up to see the MK every morning. I've never stayed at the Poly, so I can't comment on that.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

We prefer to stay at the Poly, but we always take a morning stroll down the beach to the Grand Floridian to have breakfast at the Cafe and to shop & enjoy the atmosphere of the lobby. So we get the best of both, and the best part is that the Poly is cheaper to stay at.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any extras in each hotel that might tip the scale, like an entertainer like the piano guy in POR or the volcano pool?
    K. White

WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finaldynasty View Post
    Are there any extras in each hotel that might tip the scale, like an entertainer like the piano guy in POR or the volcano pool?
    At the GF, they have an Orchestra on the 2nd floor of the main building which plays every evening. They also have a piano player in the main lobby that plays earlier. The GF also has pool cabana's which their guests can rent by the day or 1/2 day. They have some nice amenities. I think the Contemporary has cabanas now as well, but I'm not exactly sure of their setup.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going at Christmas, I would say the GF for the atmosphere and decorations.....

Post Thanks / Like

Polynesian
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at all three. Nothing beats the GF decorations at Christmas. I found the CR to be the least kid friendly of the three, and Poly to be the most kid friendly. The one thing that I really like about the CR is that there is a covered walkway between the garden wing and main building, which is nice if it is raining. They all have their pros and cons, but I think you'll be happy at any of them. We always pick the one with the best rates.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I have never stayed at any of them but I have visited all 3. I loved seeing the GF at Christmas! That would be my first choice!!!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

I've only stayed at the contemp. and I didn't like it at all.
    Been so many times to the wonderful world of Disney I lost track. :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default MAYbe...

Christmas with 3 DKs? I would not take the Wilderness Lodge off your list of possibilities. It has a great "winter lodge" feel and would cost you less than a monorail resort and still put you close to the MK.

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at 2 of the 3 in the past 4 years in a row. I have great memories of the the CR as a kid, and my kids loved it this past May, my dh loved our room but thought the resort was not a "great" WDW theme it reminded him of vegas...I love it though. He did love lots about it though, the Cali Grill, the pool area, and being able to walk to MK was a huge plus.
    We stayed at the Poly 2 years in a row, and it was amazing. Again fantastic room, view to die for, club level was great the first year, not so hot the second, pools tons of fun for all of us, loved being on the monorail line, and being able to walk to the Epcot line at the TTC. Resturants at the Poly another plus....our kids felt like they owned the Poly by the time we left the second year...it was funny to see these two little kids at almost 3, and 5 running the show.
    Now for the GF, we eat there every single year and love it, we want to stay there. It's amazing...
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same dilemma for this summer. We decided to split between Poly and GF. No desire to stay at the Contemporary.
    Offsite - 2x
    AS Sports
    AS Music
    AS Movies - 9x
    Pop Century - 3x
    Caribbean Beach Resort
    Riverside
    Old Key West
    Wilderness Lodge - 7x
    Polynesian - 4x
    Grand Floridian - 2x
    Beach Club