Quantcast Healthy Living Club 2011 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Week 12! Good for you! How do you feel? Have you seen some really big changes?
    I feel really great. However, the most noticeable changes are in my arms. I'm OK with how they look right now but I DO NOT want muscle builder arms. I'm a little nervous they could turn into that next go round. I wish P90X did for the legs what it does for the arms. This is why I'm making modifications next time.

I'm also considering the 10min trainer from BeachBody. As much as I've enjoyed the P90X, it's extremely challenging to fit in my schedule right now.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If there are any Jillian Michaels fans on here just wanted to pass along that her new podcast are up on itunes for free.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll join in!

I gained a lot of weight during the first year of residency, and now I'm working to get it off. I started on Jan. 29 and am down about 20 pounds so far. I want to lose another 30.

I am limiting myself to 1200-1400 calories/day. My main form of exercise is the Wii --- mostly dance games. I wear a heart rate monitor while Wii-ing and usually achieve an average heart rate in the 150s, so it's pretty effective.
    --- Brittany

Disneyland annual pass since 1994, but I've never been to Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see this thread before but am happy to have now!

I started my weight loss journey back in September and lost about 20 lbs between then and Thanksgiving... then the holidays hit and lets just say that 20lbs was 25 in early November. I was doing Weight Watchers and then once they switched to the new point system, I fell of the wagon.

Cue now, late February and still wanting to meet my weight loss goal. I'm getting married in July and want to look amazing in my dress... and I want to be able to look at one WDW album (honeymoon) and not abhor the way I look. That may sound shallow but I think for me, this process is just as much about mental health as physical... about feeling good about myself for the first time practically ever. I know this means either starting WeightWatchers again or finding another system to keep me accountable - and for that I could totally use suggestions.

I'm so happy to have found an Intercot thread with people with similar goals :-) I look forward to celebrating all of our victories and talking through the challenges!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post
    I'm getting married in July and want to look amazing in my dress... and I want to be able to look at one WDW album (honeymoon) and not abhor the way I look. That may sound shallow but I think for me, this process is just as much about mental health as physical... about feeling good about myself for the first time practically ever.
    I think you are right. This is not a temporary quick fix. It never is, and never will be - for any of us.

I have a young woman on my crew who is a former Miss Ontario body builder. She tells me that eating should not be about indulgence but about nutrition - giving your body what it needs, not what you want. It is a fundamental change for most of us, and one I haven't quite bought into myself, even though I am trying.

Try to think of your honeymoon album as the FIRST set of pictures that you will enjoy looking at yourself in, not the only set. Think of each photo set as going to be the best you will ever look. I think I'm saying this badly, but don't go on a diet binge just to look good for your wedding photo's. We had a friend who did that. When she came back, we didn't recognise her!

Make the change for life, not just for a few weeks or months. Make the change for the right reasons: health, fitness and happiness, not for the way you will look in some pictures.

Health and fitness were the reason I re-started my journey to health. I wanted to keep up with the kids on the job and that's what I got. Now they have to keep up with me. Do I look better? I never thought I did in the first place - even when I was lifeguarding. I leave that up to my beloved wife, but I think so.

We are all here for you. Let us know if we can help.

Brittany: Your diet and exercise regime seems to be working for you, which is good, just remember not to starve your body. By increasing your exercise, your bodily energy needs will increase as your metabolism ramps up. About a month after you start, you may find you need to increase your food intake so you don't crash. Watch for this to happen. Without an increase in energy intake, you may very easily plateau and even start to gain weight if your body goes into starvation mode. Increasing your intake at this point will assist with weight loss. Sounds backwards, I know, but it works!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I feel really great. However, the most noticeable changes are in my arms. I'm OK with how they look right now but I DO NOT want muscle builder arms. I'm a little nervous they could turn into that next go round. I wish P90X did for the legs what it does for the arms. This is why I'm making modifications next time.

I'm also considering the 10min trainer from BeachBody. As much as I've enjoyed the P90X, it's extremely challenging to fit in my schedule right now.
    My trainer said that if you want to reduce that "hard look" to just put a little dairy in your diet and that will take care of it. I don't know how much dairy, I am far from being hard anywhere...but you may want to do some research on that.... just a thought.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I did 4 miles on the elliptical. Oh, it was a great push to get it done, but I finished in less than 50 mins. (I usually do about a 13 min mile) so that was good.

This morning I am down a total of 17 pounds. This is a new low for me on this, my final weight loss journey. (did you like how I phrased that? FINAL weight loss journey....that's that positive thinking you always hear about. It is pretty uncommon for me. I have to really fight against those negative thoughts.)

Still have a ways to go. Got to change out my belt for a smaller one, but not yet into that smaller pant size.

Keep on keepin' on!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hanging in There

I finally had a good week last week and was down about 2.5 lbs, of course I actually stuck to the program and have cut WAY back on the alcohol. It took some getting used to but I do feel better now in general. Thankfully the weather has been amazing for walking outside. I just love it. DBF says I should run, but my legs really can't take it and I'd honestly rather walk an hour than run 20 mins (I think it's really better for my body in the long run.)
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to jump in here too!

I've lost about 35lbs over the last two years. Not a quick weight loss, but I'm still very pleased because it's the result of long-term lifestyle changes. I don't do diets, I don't count calories. My goal is to learn how to eat well, healthy and be satisfied with the portions and flavors for the rest of my life.

So, as far as food is concerned, I really had to take baby steps. One small change at a time. I refused to let anyone tell me that just changing "x" wasn't good enough. One small step in the right direction is always good enough! One small step leads to the next, and the next. Over two years I've dramatically changed the way I eat and plan on continuing. I don't deprive myself either, I've just learned to really think about my cravings, whether they're genuine or a product of boredom, etc. Some of the things I've done are; reduced portion sizes, eat slower, refuse to buy junk food, keep a good supply of fruits and veggies in the house, have a huge veggie garden/go to the farmers market/buy local farm meat when I can, learn to cook different and healthier meals. I'm better off eating one really good piece of dark chocolate once in awhile, than eating 10 other things trying to avoid it. Same with a glass of red wine. I think trying to completely deny yourself of anything you truly love for the rest of your life is a recipe for disaster.

Pick one small change to make at a time! Don't try to change everything at once, it's too much!

About a year ago I got a treadmill off Freecycle and started using it for 15 minutes a day/3 days a week. In that time I've slowly increased it to 1 hour a day/6 days a week, with yoga, stretching, sit ups, push ups and light weight lifting. The old treadmill died and since I showed that I could use it regularly, I treated myself to a brand new one.

I've seem to have reached a plateau as well, so now it's time to re-evaluate my eating habits again, to see what else I can change.

What I would really love at this point is a better supply of healthy, quick and delicious recipes to cook for the family.

One of the best things I've read recently is to treat your food intake like a bank account. You have to balance it. If you make a withdrawl, like having a bowl of ice cream, you have to make it up with a deposit, like eating a light and healthy dinner. You think about what's worth spending your money on, do the same with food!

Post Thanks / Like

Default recipes exchange

I'm ALL for a healthy recipe exchange! I wonder if we should start a new thread in the Water Cooler to post some in instead of this one?
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Would love to jump in here too!

I've lost about 35lbs over the last two years. Not a quick weight loss, but I'm still very pleased because it's the result of long-term lifestyle changes. I don't do diets, I don't count calories. My goal is to learn how to eat well, healthy and be satisfied with the portions and flavors for the rest of my life.

So, as far as food is concerned, I really had to take baby steps. One small change at a time. I refused to let anyone tell me that just changing "x" wasn't good enough. One small step in the right direction is always good enough! One small step leads to the next, and the next. Over two years I've dramatically changed the way I eat and plan on continuing. I don't deprive myself either, I've just learned to really think about my cravings, whether they're genuine or a product of boredom, etc. Some of the things I've done are; reduced portion sizes, eat slower, refuse to buy junk food, keep a good supply of fruits and veggies in the house, have a huge veggie garden/go to the farmers market/buy local farm meat when I can, learn to cook different and healthier meals. I'm better off eating one really good piece of dark chocolate once in awhile, than eating 10 other things trying to avoid it. Same with a glass of red wine. I think trying to completely deny yourself of anything you truly love for the rest of your life is a recipe for disaster.

Pick one small change to make at a time! Don't try to change everything at once, it's too much!

About a year ago I got a treadmill off Freecycle and started using it for 15 minutes a day/3 days a week. In that time I've slowly increased it to 1 hour a day/6 days a week, with yoga, stretching, sit ups, push ups and light weight lifting. The old treadmill died and since I showed that I could use it regularly, I treated myself to a brand new one.

I've seem to have reached a plateau as well, so now it's time to re-evaluate my eating habits again, to see what else I can change.

What I would really love at this point is a better supply of healthy, quick and delicious recipes to cook for the family.

One of the best things I've read recently is to treat your food intake like a bank account. You have to balance it. If you make a withdrawl, like having a bowl of ice cream, you have to make it up with a deposit, like eating a light and healthy dinner. You think about what's worth spending your money on, do the same with food!
    I LOVE this post. I agree! We too are making small changes here and there to become life long habits.

One change I made a couple of years ago was to switch from white bread to whole grain. My kids really resisted at first but now they're totally on board.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a woman on my crew who is training for a women's form show. It is replacing women's bodybuilding, thank goodness. Don't get me wrong: physical activity is great, but it can get out of hand. She was a former Miss Ontario Bodybuilder champion and decided to go for the all Canada title. She was getting changed for a competition at that level and heard two men talking behind her, so she turned around... There weren't two men, but two women talking behind her! She packed in the body building at that time.

Back to the reason I quoted you: She is getting ready for this show coming up in April and has to lose fat from her body and had reached a plateau and couldn't overcome it. With a deadline looming, she called her coach and asked what she could do. He looked at her intake and exercise regime, called her back and told her to go to Tim Horton's (ask your Canadian and northern American friends what that is) and get two whole wheat or everything bagels, take a tablespoon of peanut butter with each.

Long story short (too late!) she lost two pounds the next day. This is not something I would suggest, but it worked for her. It reset her carbohydrate levels and set her back on schedule.

Sometimes, to get to the goal, you have to take what seems like the long route.

Thirty-five pounds lost is an incredible loss and congratulate you! Keep going!

Post Thanks / Like

Janet, I would LOVE a recipe exchange too. I feel like we're always eating the same meals. And when we need something quick, it's not always a healthy choice. Over the summer I was very good about freezing some meals. I'd like to get back to that.

Genna, thank you! I think swapping the wheat for white is a great step. The truth is, I really have to sneak up on myself with these things. The past two years for me have been a series of small steps. I have things I've swapped out that my family initially complained about. The only battle I've lost so far is over the whole wheat pasta.

Gary, thank you too! Your food example is really interesting. One of the things that has frustrated me the most is trying to really understand how food works together and with your body. It makes me feel so defeated when I think that I've been making a good food choice, only to discover that I haven't. You then look around at everything in your kitchen and think, "What else was I fooled by?" I'd like to not only get things that are fresh, have the obvious low fat/sugar/sodium, but I would also like to avoid the foods that are packed with chemicals to make up for the "low" things.

My cravings will often be for bready things. I try to snack on fruits, veggies and nuts (like almonds), but sometimes I need something like a granola bar. I try to pick the best one I can find, but I can't help but wonder how bad they are overall.

Sorry! Don't mean to go on so much! It just shouldn't be so frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

For the past three months, I've been eating... I guess healthily? Mostly vegetables and legumes, some cheese, with a cheat day every weekend to make sure my metabolism doesn't adjust to a starvation cycle too quickly. Generally, I was still eating foods I liked, just with better portion control and getting the bulk of my calories from vegetables (spaghetti squash being my crutch).

For a lark, I stepped on the communal scale in our office—and it turns out I have lost about 25 pounds from my last checkup. Still mathematically obese (and still objectively fat), but now a non-obese weight is well within my reach.

Most of that weight loss was done entirely without any additional exercise (it's hard to work out when you're commuting or in the office 10+ hours a day), but I'm now reintroducing little things, like squats/core exercises before bed and in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird Street View Post
    For a lark, I stepped on the communal scale in our office—and it turns out I have lost about 25 pounds from my last checkup. Still mathematically obese (and still objectively fat), but now a non-obese weight is well within my reach.

Most of that weight loss was done entirely without any additional exercise (it's hard to work out when you're commuting or in the office 10+ hours a day), but I'm now reintroducing little things, like squats/core exercises before bed and in the morning.
    Amazing, DB!

I congratulate you on your transformation. It sounds like - well, I was going to say a great start - but this is MORE than a start! That is an amazing feat. You should be proud of yourself and this change.

Just a quick question: the spaghetti squash, do you use whole wheat noodles or regular noodles? The beauty of whole wheat noodles is that they take longer to digest and therefore make you feel fuller longer. They also help even out your carb level in your system. Long and short: you won't get so hungry so fast and you won't crash. Try to make that change with all your carb foods. Sweet potatoes make a great change from regular potatoes and will also change your glycemic index.

Do a search on glycemic index foods. You will find all kinds of information and usually a list of foods that will give you high, medium and low glycemic indices. Try to stay with foods in the low glycemic index and you should really start to feel better and lose more weight.

At the risk of being preachy, I just wanted to add one more thing. I know your time is limited. Working long hours and a long commute, and probably being on your feet for long periods of time can take its toll on your energy level. Been there, done it.

Look into an exercise program called Ten Minute Trainer. Ten minutes before your morning shower and ten minutes before bed will give you quite a burn with huge benefits.

Always check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program. Take some information on the program to your doctor so he/she can make an informed decision.
    Last edited by garymacd; 03-17-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: More info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    I finally had a good week last week and was down about 2.5 lbs, of course I actually stuck to the program and have cut WAY back on the alcohol. It took some getting used to but I do feel better now in general. Thankfully the weather has been amazing for walking outside. I just love it. DBF says I should run, but my legs really can't take it and I'd honestly rather walk an hour than run 20 mins (I think it's really better for my body in the long run.)
    Consider giving the Couch to 5K program from Cool Running a try. I was not a runner and avoided it because of my extremely flat feet causing knee problems. I did the Couch to 5K in the fall of 2009 and have been running ever since. I'm not fast but can run 5-6 miles now and did a couple 5K's last summer. And no knee problems!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm going to jump in on this thread, too... I'm another one of the "I hit my 40's and can't lose weight the same way anymore" people.

A few years ago, I lost 26 lbs, and got within 10 lbs of my goal weight. Slowly, it crept back on, but then I got back down right before our Oct '09 Disney trip... plateau'd after we got home for awhile, and then slowly began gaining and never got it back under control. Partly it was b/c I can't excercise the same way anymore -- my joints just can't take the same pounding I used to give them, and I'm having to find creative ways to excercise these days. The other part was just that I enjoy food -- I love to cook, and I love to indulge... and w/o excercise to balance it... well, it's not hard to see why the weight crept back on!

The most frustrating part has been my inability to lose like I used to...why does crossing that "40's" threshold make it SO much harder??

I used to watch my carbs... but I hate that, as I'm a true carb lover. Not just the junky ones, although they're great, but the healthy ones, too. SO hard to cut back on severly for very long, and not healthy to do, either. I tried counting calories, but it's too easy to cheat and make non-healthy choices.

So... this time, I decided to try something new, and have gone with the WW Online program. I'm not a "weigh in" or meetings kind of person... but I do like tracking things, and having the daily input online really has helped. It's been 3 weeks and I've lost 8 pounds, so I'm pretty excited. I've been excercising, as well... run/walking 2-3 miles 2-3x's/week, or doing the eliptical 2 miles mixed in with a walk... and I do Jillian Michaels on occasion. I just have to be very careful of my joints, and sometimes I have a hard time telling the difference b/w pain that is beneficial (i.e. I'm working & strengthening the muscles, so they burn and/or hurt) and pain that is damaging (i.e. I'm doing bad things to my joints and that's why they're KILLING me) But I think I'm getting the hang of this whole new weight-loss world, and hopefully, this will be the answer.

The biggest thing, beyond getting to my goal weight, which is 130 and 35 lbs away... is creating a healthy lifestyle that I can maintain for the rest of my life. I think the things I'm learning through WW and the healthy choices it helps me make through the whole "counting points" system is really going to help.

So -- to everyone else out there facing the same challenges and struggles -- we can do this -- and thank goodness we're all here to help each other!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Just a quick question: the spaghetti squash, do you use whole wheat noodles or regular noodles?
    Spaghetti squash is actually a stringy squash that you use in place of the noodles, so no pasta involved. My DD10 and I love it, DH and DD6 hate it. It can be challenging to find something everyone enjoys.

Post Thanks / Like

Dsnygirl & DBS, congratulations on the progress you've made!

One thing I've learned about myself is that I can't count calories or completely deny myself things. It just doesn't work for me because it becomes obsessive and eventually backfires.

There is no reason that we can't enjoy the food we love! Europeans eat rich, delicious foods, they just eat much smaller portions than we do and balance it out with much healthier choices. They also don't eat a lot of processed food. One rule I've read that I love is, if you're buying pre-prepared food try to get the ones with the fewest ingredients and try to avoid the ones with ingredients that you don't have in your own kitchen. Nearly impossible, I know, but it really gets you looking at the lables and that's a start. One of my favorite lunches is whole grain natural oatmeal. One ingredient! Then I add nuts (usually crushed almonds) and fresh fruit (or dried fruit if I don't have fresh at the time).

Same thing goes for learning about food choices. I really had to take in one lesson at a time or it was information overload. If I get overwhelmed, I'll give up. That's just me. But, educating myself and changing one thing at a time has led to permanent lifestyle changes. Slow, but permanent.

Post Thanks / Like

Spaghetti squash is actually a stringy squash that you use in place of the noodles, so no pasta involved. My DD10 and I love it, DH and DD6 hate it. It can be challenging to find something everyone enjoys.
    Yeah...not sure I'd like that, either.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: