Quantcast Help! Need cruise expenses advice.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Need cruise expenses advice.

Hi everyone DBF and I are planning our next trip which should be in Dec. 2012 (even though that schedule isnt out yet). Its my first cruise, ever in general, and DBF first Disney cruise. We are trying to put together our budget. Can anyone shed some light on what extra expenses might be involved that we have to save for that you need for the cruise and maybe approximately how much whatever it is? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! thank you!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

• Alcohol - Around $7.00 for mixed drinks, about two dollars less for drink of the day, and sometimes they have a two for one special around the pool it the afternoon. They also have a wine package and a beer package you can buy. You can bring alcohol onboard in your luggage for your room, so this cost can be lower.
    • Arcade
    • Art Auction (Never have participated in these)
    • Bingo – packages run from $30.00 to $75.00, but you can purchase single cards I believe.
    • Bottled Water – Evian $6.00 for a six pack, $35 for a 24 pack
    • Castaway Cay Cabana – about $500.00 to reserve one of these
    • Dry Cleaning – I send my formal gown to be pressed the minute I get my luggage unpacked – that cost is the best 4.00 I have ever spent.
    • Excursions – depends on where you are going and what you want to do. I book a lot on my own to save costs.
    • Internet - 100 minutes is $55.00 on the Magic
    • Laundry – Onboard Washing Machine and Dryers - about $2 each - charged to your room card so you do not need to bring quarters.
    • Palo/Remy – Upscale adult only dining – Palo was $15 per person last time we cruised. Remy’s is $75.00 per person plus tips.
    • Room Service – While room service is free, bring $1.00 bills for tipping for room service
    • Snacks and drinks sold outside the main theater
    • Souvenirs – can be anything from a $10.00 pin for pin trading, to a $300.00 exclusive Dooney and Burke Purse, and anything in between
    • Shutters – On board photographer – 10 photos were $89.00 last time I cruised - they also sell a CD of all pictures taken for about $300 on a 7 day cruise.
    • Spa – a 1 hour massage is about $120 plus tip
    • “Tasting” classes – i.e Wine tasting – about $15.00 per person
    • Tips - For 2 people for a 7 day cruise the tips are $168.00
    $4.00 per person, per day for your main server in the dining room
    $3.00 per person, per day for your assistant service
    $1.00 per person, per day for your head server in the dining room
    $3.00 per person, per day for your stateroom host.
    • Travel Insurance (I use insure my trip – a lot cheaper than Disney Prices)
    • Tux Rentals – a deluxe tux is about $130.00
    • Upgrade at the Port (I was able to go from a cat 6 to a cat 1 at the port for an additional $1500 – That same room was well over $8000 if I have booked it myself)

Here are some other costs:
    • Airline Tickets or Gas for Driving/Tolls for any toll roads
    • Hotel the night before and maybe the night after if flying
    • Food Costs from time you leave your home to time you get onboard ship
    • If flying into Orlando – cost to go from airport to cruise terminal and back or parking at the port.
    • Pets – sitting fee while you are gone

I'm sure I'm missed some things - so hopefully someone can add to my list.
    Last edited by Imalismom; 02-06-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

OMG Thank you for the very detailed response!! Thats a big help!! I will be sure to pass this along to DBF (my lovely budget planner). I dont know if you know or if anyone else might. But I heard you cant use cell phones on the cruises. Does anyone know anything about this or what option there might be?
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Our cell phones never worked. There is a special type you can rent, but we never did. It is nice to escape reality for a week!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Also, EVERYTHING is charged to your room. No cash transactions on the boat. If you prefer to pay with cash, go to Guest Services and they will take the cash and apply credit to your account. Either that or you may pay in cash there at the end of your trip.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    But I heard you cant use cell phones on the cruises. Does anyone know anything about this or what option there might be?
    Cell phones are dependent on a massive system of land-based towers (antennas); there are none out in the ocean. Your cell phone will work while the ship is still within a few miles of the coast of the US.

They may also work in your ports of call, but be forewarned that international roaming rates will apply; calls, text messages and 'net access will be tremendously expensive.

As DisneyFr33k points out, sometimes it's great just to disappear for a while, leaving the "electronic leashes" behind.

(Or at least tucked away until your return to the states.)
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Cell phones are dependent on a massive system of land-based towers (antennas); there are none out in the ocean. Your cell phone will work while the ship is still within a few miles of the coast of the US.

They may also work in your ports of call, but be forewarned that international roaming rates will apply; calls, text messages and 'net access will be tremendously expensive.

As DisneyFr33k points out, sometimes it's great just to disappear for a while, leaving the "electronic leashes" behind.

(Or at least tucked away until your return to the states.)
    Thank you Trust me I love to escape from reality for a few days just concerned about my mother. Shes 73 will be 75 by that time and shes a true worry-wort! lol So she is going to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown without talking to me atleast once a day while gone. So thats really my only concern. Everyone else can certainly wait! lol

Thank you DisneyFreek for the advice with the cash/credit thing. I will have let DBF know that because he always prefers cash so will have to tell him that that is going to be a no-go on the cruise. Which really shouldnt be a problem seeing we can convert that cash to the room key/credit. Thanks again
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Really, heed the warning about the cell phone use. Charges are INSANE!

Do a search online about large cell phone bills and you'll see some of them can be related to people using their phones from the ship. One that sticks out is someone streaming a football game to their phone while they were docked. They were using the ships cell tower I bleeive and the bill was a whopping $32,000 I think.

A few years back, I faxed a complaint about something on a ship directly to the ship and also RCCL offices in Fl. The fax to the ship hit my phone bill for about $50 a page.

Disappear! Really...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

A word of advice ... TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE WHEN YOU'RE NOT IN PORT!

We had a woman who works with me who has a work cell ... she went on a Med cruise and when she came back we got a $16,000 cell bill for her!

Too risky ... shut it down!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    A word of advice ... TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE WHEN YOU'RE NOT IN PORT!

We had a woman who works with me who has a work cell ... she went on a Med cruise and when she came back we got a $16,000 cell bill for her!

Too risky ... shut it down!
    AHHH!!! I would just die!! That is crazy!!! Guess Im going to have to figure something out for momma while Im gone Thanks for the advice guys!!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

There is a way for calls to come to the ship and to your stateroom in the event of an emergency. The cost is $7 a minute. You can also look into international cell phones/plans. My FIL travels around the world and has a phone/number for international use. You can also check with your cell carrier about international plans. AT&T has one where you get 15 texts and 15 mins of calls for a flat rate. I just got back from sailing on the Dream and cell service for everyone was horrible. Internet connections were difficult unless you were in certain areas of the ship. I was once actually able to get a connection while in my stateroom.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: