Quantcast PRICES are killing me, anyone else feeling it too?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PRICES are killing me, anyone else feeling it too?

Hi all,
    I used to be a frequent intercot flyer as you all know...but have been on the down low recently, life has been really busy!!! Anyways...we are thinking of an Easter trip..my DH proposed an Easter trip to me over Valentines dinner last night. Now I'm entirely frustrated. The prices for accomodations have gone through the roof. How can I justify these prices..just for the ROOM??? I can not believe how much this Easter trip would cost us. We are a family of five that stays deluxes..DH would not be happy at a mod or value. He is used to a certain way, and doesnt want to do things differently. We spend alot of time at the resort and love the downtime there in between parks and in the evening. Where we stay is very important to us. We are Poly People and I just can't see this happening with these prices during this week. How does anyone else pull off Easter week? I just can't justify it, and I want to!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Early planning is the key to cheaper vacations.

You're what, two months out? The law of supply and demand is way against you at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a deluxe you have to pay deluxe prices. It is the same at any other 'deluxe' hotel out there not in Disney, especially at Easter time.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

You're what, two months out? The law of supply and demand is way against you at this point.
    The room prices are not affected by early planning, are they?? A garden view room at the Poly is over $500.00/night!!!
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain, that is the main reason we bought into DVC in 2006.

There is a spring special which needs to be booked today. Maybe you could take that and stay for 4 or 5 nights instead of 7? Just a thought.

Good luck
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, I just remember AP rates are out through 4/16. Poly is $386 I believe. Maybe it would be worth buying one AP? You would need to run the numbers.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Lisa, I just remember AP rates are out through 4/16. Poly is $386 I believe. Maybe it would be worth buying one AP? You would need to run the numbers.
    I'll do that. It looks like every single room type is open at the poly too. Forget how we usually stay at club level, a garden view club level is $725/night!!!! WOW!!
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    It wouldn't help her for Easter, though, as the AP rates aren't availabe then.

To the OP - I feel your pain... we saw the Disney golf special available over Easter wknd (crazy great rates for all four courses, unlimited play... my DH was baying at the moon to go... ) but we couldn't justify the cost, either, and that was for driving and staying at a value resort!!

Easter rates are just what they are -- crazy high b/c most northern and northeastern schools are on break, and the assumption is that a high percentage of them will go to Disney. So, just like Christmas or any other holiday, the rates are through the roof for rooms, airfare, you name it... and no specials or discounts to be found.

If I were you, I would try for an off-season trip -- it's why we're giving August a "go" this year, and just preparing ourselves for the heat.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, your right. Offer ends 4/16 and Easter's 4/22.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Rates across the board have increased so much it is ridiculous. We used to go to WDW two or three times a year. Now we can hardly justify the cost even with the discounts. lol We are in the same boat as you, we prefer the deluxe hotels. Last time we decided to try a moderate and went with Port Orleans Riverside resort but we weren't happy. Walking to the main building for the restaurant and big pool was like going on a hike through the wilderness. We were so far away it wasn't even funny.
    We have decided to do something else for our next vacation and are going to New York to see the sites, museums and take in a broadway play. We are already working on plans for the vacation after that one now and it looks like it is probably going to be a cruise and we are going to take a tour to the Chichen Itza Mayan ruins. Both of these vacations are working out to be less expensive than our usual trip to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    The room prices are not affected by early planning, are they?? A garden view room at the Poly is over $500.00/night!!!
    Rack rates are not affected by early planning. The rate for Easter week was set when Disney published their 2011 rates and have not fluctuated. Lisa's price quote would have been the same if she had booked 6 months out.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    If you want a deluxe you have to pay deluxe prices. It is the same at any other 'deluxe' hotel out there not in Disney, especially at Easter time.
    Yes, you will pay deluxe prices for Easter week anywhere else, but Disney's rack rate for that week are pretty high by comparison. I checked the New York Palace, which definitely qualifies as a deluxe hotel, and I could get a room with 2 beds overlooking St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is better than the basic view, for 339 a night. The Hotel Del Coronado is even cheaper than the Poly. I can get a room with 2 beds there for 445 a night. At both of these hotels, this is the "rack rate", not any special rate.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Not for nothing but you might want to poke around the moderate's websites. As a family we had always stayed deluxes but eventually the prices just became to much. While there is a difference the moderates are still nice, especially either of the Port Orleans. They have a very adult feel and in my opinion a disney trip on a slight lower scale is better then no trip at all.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney charges those rates because they know they can... If people stopped booking, the rates may lower, or more discounts would be available... However, Easter is a prime time to go to WDW, and they know this...

I'm sorry this trip is going to cost you an arm, leg, two livers, a spleen, and probably a few hearts... Maybe look for accommodations off property... Or, look for a moderate resort to stay in... Hope things work out for you...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I book a year or so ahead of time and pay it off
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Moderator Alert!!

Please, let's keep to the poster's question. Personal attacks are not allowed and will be deleted.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever looked into renting DVC points?? Ive never stayed in a Deluxe like Poly or GF so I dont know what the comparisons are. But try taking a look at the DVC resorts on property like Beach Club or Boardwalk resorts and see if thats maybe something to look into?? I hope you get to go
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Easter week is like the second busiest week of the year. You're just not going to find discounts that week. It's like Christmas week, basically.

You might (and I stress might) do better trying to rent some DVC points. I went in on the member website and just threw in some guideline dates (4/23 - 4/30) for a Magic Kingdom view studio at Bay Lake Tower. It would be 241 points which on rental would probably cost you about $2,650. That comes to around $380 a night.

Not great, but pretty good for a hotel that's walking distance from Magic Kingdom with a view of the fireworks at night.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Are your dates flexible? You are always going to pay more for a holiday trip. We usually stay values and I agree a trip to Disney is great no matter where I stay. If you are really not going for the parks and looking more to stay in a nice hotel perhaps you should do a non-Disney trip. Wow, can't believe I said that

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Like VWL Mom said above, if you like to stay at a Deluxe resort (that isn't the Poly), you should really consider buying into DVC. In looking at how frequently you vacation at Disney, it would make perfect sense. 6 nights at the Poly will run you $2,000-$3,000 a trip. You can buy 100 points for less than $9,000 resale and then your cost per night will drop drastically.

As for this trip, you can either decide to pay through the nose, stay elsewhere or reschedule to a cheaper time. I'm afraid your option are pretty limited, but good luck.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to take into account with the DVC suggestion is that Easter Week is a high point period at DVC resorts as well so the point requirement is going to be pretty high, 100 points certainly won't do it.

Trying to stay in a deluxe accomodation at a prime time is going to be a costly trip, especially at WDW with the profit is the one and only priority mentality that is in vogue there now.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: