Quantcast ?? for those who drive from the northeast...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question ?? for those who drive from the northeast...

So, we are considering having myself and our 2 DD's make the drive to Disney this summer, d/t rising airfare costs that are just getting crazy. My DH will still fly, as it's silly for him to take 2 extra vacation days just to sit in a car.... but the girls and I are flexible, and I love to drive, so we could do it easily.

Plus, now that we are considering it, we're realizing that it would save us the cost of an airport pickup (we always use QuickSilver when we travel as a family, it's just easier for us that way, and we like having more time prior to heading to the airport to go home...) and it would save us paying to put my DH's golf clubs on the plane... as well as give him the SUV to take back and forth to the golf courses vs. waiting for Disney transport. We won't use it to get to the parks, etc., as we enjoy the ease of using the buses & monorail... but we do have a HDDR ressie that it will be MUCH easier to get to than using the buses!!

So, my question is for anyone who has driven from close to where we are coming from -- the Syracuse/Central NY area, etc. -- who would have a similar drive to what we're looking at.

I've Mapquested our route, and it has us going around Washington, DC on 495... but I've heard this is wise to avoid -- so I'm thinking of taking the route we've taken in the past when visiting Charlotte, NC and heading south that way. It may not be as much "big highway", but it also avoids Washington, Richmond, Raleigh... which I'm guessing would be a bit easier, and maybe a bit quicker??

Any tips, advice for us from those of you who've made this drive?? And how long did it take you, and where did you stay? I found some Hampton Inns, etc., along the route and once I'm fairly certain where we'll end up 12 hours into the drive, I'll make a reservation at one... kinda crazy when two hotel nights and the cost of gas STILL saves you close to $700 over airfare, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot imagine driving to Florida from Syracuse. Just for us to get back to Charlottesville, VA (where we used to live) takes 8 hours and that is going I-81 (not going through major cities). We flew Jet Blue out of Hancock in December and paid about $300 per person --- reasonable for a 3 hour flight. DC traffic can be a nightmare. We got stuck there for 2 hours going nowhere.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive that specific route -- we are in Southern Ontario and take the I75 the entire way down. It is lovely! 23 hours start to finish -- but we usually break it up into 2 days. Actually, we just got back last night from WDW, and we decided to drive all 23 hours in one trip (no stops) and it was fine. With a family of 4 it does save us quite a bit of money we would have spent on airfare. Plus, I LOVE having my minivan on vacation with me so we never have to cram into Disney buses -- we can drive ourselves everywhere!

One thing I'd suggest is if you have AirMiles or some other kind of travel points program (mine is on my Mastercard) you can often book your hotel room(s) on the drive down and back using points, so that ends up not costing anything either! The only thing is you need to book that before you leave. If you don't have any points plan to book hotels, then be sure to stop off at the welcome centers/rest stops in each state that you drive through because they often have coupon books for hotels/motels on the drive down.

We love Hampton Inns, Holiday Inns and Best Westerns for stopovers, but have stayed at Red Roof Inns (much less expensive) and found them good enough for one night's stay on the drive as well.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Don't underestimate how exhausting such a long drive can be - particularly if you don't have another adult to trade off diving duties. From the Boston area, it's over 24 hours to Disney World - I suspect it will be similar for you. If you're planning to do it with just one overnight, you're probably looking at spending a good 12 hours on the road for each of two days.

When we've driven in the past, we've left around 4 in the morning and traded drivers every 4-5 hours. That allowed the person not driving to at least get a little nap between shifts behind the wheel. Even with that, it's still very tiring to spend that much time behind the wheel. Plus, I've found, it's even more tiring when you're driving on unfamiliar and unknown roads.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

As you know we almost always drive.

Sorry I can't help on the routing you are taking but driving is so easy and painless to do with a little bit of planning. You will find it easier now that your girls are older. We have done it with our youngest since he was 6 months old and have never had any issues with the drive.

I do all the driving myself due to my DW's condition. She is the perfect navigator and purveyor of snacks. My oldest son always has a map and will tell me what route to take. If you don't want to stop and pay for meals, a cooler with foodstuffs and drinks will help you there.

Planning around known traffic areas is a must. Contact your AAA office and they will help you out in that department.

Another for Hampton Inns! We will make our 20 hour trip in two parts. Usually leaving the night before and getting 5-6 hours in. The next day we are usually checking in to the resort by 9pm. We go to bed shortly after arriving and are fresh to hit the parks first thing the next morning.
    Last edited by CanadianWDWFan; 02-20-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added content
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

thanks for all the tips and advice!! (and Brian, I was hoping you or Jenn would see my post!! )

If we decide to do this, the girls and I will leave at 7am on Wed, drive 12 hours to just past Charlotte, catch a swim in whatever hotel we find, sleep and be on the road at 8am Thurs, probably arriving at CBR around 3pm.

That doesn't sound too bad... Mapquest tells me 20 1/2 hours... but it says 12hrs to Charlotte, which we did in 10 1/2, so I'm guessing we're probably more like 19hrs.

We would definitely bring a cooler and snacks... we've got a portable DVD player for the girls, they've got DS's and books and music... and we'd of COURSE be playing Disney music top volume, which would help time fly by...

So, even if it's worse than that b/c we have to stop and stretch (which I will probably need to do, as I USED to be able to go from here to York Beach, 6 hours, w/o stopping but now need a quick stretch by Albany ...) we would still get to CBR by late afternoon and be able to unpack, swim and rest before going to pick my DH up at the airport. Now THAT'S one aspect of the whole thing I won't look forward to navigating...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Our routing takes us through Charlotte as well. It is just over 8 hours to WDW from there. I can do that drive without even blinking!

We are usually checked out of the hotel and on the road by 7am. No point and wasting time sitting in the hotel when you can be driving to WDW. The earlier you leave, the earlier you get there is my motto!

DVD's and handheld games are a good diversion. I have a FM transmitter on our DVD system so I can enjoy listening to the movie on the radio as I drive.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finger Lakes

We have driven about 12 times and the best route we have taken is 81 to 66 to 17 then get on 95 south below Washington.
    21 hours drive time from Canandaigua NY to WDW.
    However I would highly recommend the AutoTrain. We have been traveling this way for the last 8 times and its the best. Relax have some wine, great food and sleep until your at Sanford in the morning at around 9am.

SMICKEY
    Canandaigua, NY

1989-Off Site (Boo!)
    1993/04-
    1998-
    2001-
    2003-
    2004/05-
    2006/08-
    2007-(30th Wedding Vow Renewal)
    2009-
    2009-
    2010-
    2011-
    2011-
    2012-

Post Thanks / Like

We drove the last 2 trips after flying 12 times. We are both handicapped due to bad knees, and DW has her own ECV. We just can't handle all the walking in the airport any longer, and don't have to worry about being groped and X-rayed by TSA.
    I am the only driver, and we do the trip in 2 1/2 days. We usually stop over at Best Western, which offers free breakfast. We take I-95 all the way to I-4. Never had any traffic problems.In my Expedition, I had a lift installed for her ECV. We have a cooler for sandwiches, 2 gallon jugs, one with ice water, the other with a drink mix. We use the buses and monorail to get to the parks, and the car if we need to go anywhere else. I may not be able to do much walking any longer, but I can do anything I want to do while sitting. I don't mind long haul driving, as long as each hour or so I can stop and do 2-3 laps around the car to stretch out.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We have been talking about driving to wdw lately. Were from MA and would like to try it sometime. I would love to hear how it goes.
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Thanks goodness we moved to the SE USA!! 6 hour drive from our house to WDW!!
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    Thanks goodness we moved to the SE USA!! 6 hour drive from our house to WDW!!
    Used to live in Summerville ....can't believe it's been 20 years!!

Good luck with your drive with your kiddos...We live in central NC and it takes us about 9 1/2 hours....I can't imagine having to drive longer but would do it to get to WDW!!

Talking about going to pick up your DH from the airport in Orlando...would he be able to take advantage of ME? If he could, that would save you some traffic headaches going to MCO!! I'm sure someone here will let us know soon...
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Briansmom View Post
    Talking about going to pick up your DH from the airport in Orlando...would he be able to take advantage of ME? If he could, that would save you some traffic headaches going to MCO!! I'm sure someone here will let us know soon...
    That's a great idea... he should be able to, he is part of our package... I'll have to ask our TA at MJ. Thanks for the idea -- I'm not sure us picking him up would save any time over ME, and I'd much rather meet him at the pool, drink in hand... (and one for him, too, of course... )
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea Briansmom, At least you could relax once you get to WDW Blythe! We have driven from NE, and the trip there is much better than the trip home . Will your DH be driving home with you? If not maybe you could look into the Auto train for the return. If not maybe you could take a couple extra days on the way home and explore some other areas.

I'm sure it will be a great trip! I know I've seen post with ideas to keep your girls from getting bored on the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am not from NY- but took the trip from Estern Pa last year with my mom (67) Aunt(78) ds7 and dh- left late on Wed night to avoid a hurricane storm and then got up early on Thursday morning to drive about 10 hours stopped let the kiddo swim- then got up early on Friday and was in WDW by 10:30- it was great. ALong the way for each state we stopped in ds got a small gift that would help make the drive fun for him. Plus he did some of his make-up work then too. Plus we did go thru dc- but went thru on a Wed night at 8 and hit no traffic. Can't wait to do it again this year!!!! Good luck!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: