Quantcast Polynesian or Contemporary?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Polynesian or Contemporary?

we are thinking to stay in the polynesian in April 2011! Do you think that i made a good choice to stay in the Polynesian in April 2011? What is Ohana is a resturant or a lounge please tell me and one more thing the monorail stops in the polynesian and the polynesian has Extra Magic Hours as well. Please tell me so i won't get confused. thanks!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The Poly seems like one of the top choices on Intercot. The monorail does stop at the Poly and if you stay at any Disney resort you can do the Extra Magic Hours.

Here's a little about Ohana, http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/ohanas/
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

The Polynesian is a great choice! You will be very pleased. 'Ohana is a restaurant, serving breakfast and dinner family style. Family style, in this case, means it's like a buffet (set menu, all you care to eat) but brought to your table in big portions for you to share and pass around, family style. The Tambu Lounge is a great place to grab a drink or snack, and it is attached to 'Ohana. There's also Kona Cafe, a casual restaurant, and Kona Cafe Coffee Bar (morning) and Sushi Bar (evening). And Captain Cook's, a quick service restaurant.

The resort monorail to the Magic Kingdom stops at the Polynesian, yes. It's also an easy walk from the Polynesian to the Transportation and Ticket Center to catch the monorail to Epcot. The resort monorail to the Magic Kingdom loops around from a) the Transportation and Ticket Center to b) the Polynesian c) the Grand Floridian d) the Magic Kingdom e) the Contemporary resort and back around to a, restarting the loop. The Polynesian Resort does participate in Extra Magic Hours as well as all perks available to Disney Resort Guests (like Disney's Magic Express, transportation to and from the airport).

An extra nicety for guests at the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake resorts is the Electric Water Pageant, a light parade going by the Polynesian beach nightly at around 9. Plus, the beach of the Polynesian is a great place to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I Love the Poly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, the Contemporary is also a great choice, and you will find many fans of that one as well. I prefer the Polynesian, but they're both awesome resorts.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed at either, but been to both a lot.

The O'hana is an awesome resort.
    if you can, try to get a window seat facing MK.

have a great trip.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at both (the Contemporary was a life long dream of mine). I preferred the Poly. Although the Contemporary suits my tasted (modern, clean lines etc), and was within easy walking distance to the Magic Kingdom, I prefer the Poly. The lushness of the grounds, and the uber coolness of watching fireworks from the Volcano pool are just a couple of reasons why.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I read back on the boards in 09 that house cleaning was spotty and a couple other complaints. We stayed in 2009 and were happy. There's a lot to do.
    Plus: Monorail, location to TTC, Water parade at night, DOLE WHIPS!!!

Minus: There were occassions that common area in the lobby of Tahiti was messy, but there are hundreds of people going in and out and kids. So I can see past this. I don't like food trays left out in hallways. I did them, but they were picked up quickly on our stay. At WL once a food tray was left there all day.

Overall, its a good hotel. For us its BC or Poly.

Post Thanks / Like

Poly is one of our favorites, and so is Ohana. Yummy food and tons of it!
    70's-Days Inn
    80's? Dec-Polynesian/GolF Resort
    1980 Poly
    1987-Off Prop
    Early 90's-CB
    Sept. 2002- Contemporary
    Sept. 2004-WL
    May 2005-Off Prop
    Oct 2005-All Star Music
    Oct 06 POFQ
    Sept 07 BC
    April 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 Poly
    Dec 09 WL
    Sept 10 POR
    Sept. 11 POR
    Sept. 12 BC

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say the Contemporary Resort, the atmosphere although not as highly themed as the Poly is quiet, relaxing and soothing. If you like a more adult Resort then the Contemporary is the way to go. Another benefit is of course location location location, you no only have access to the monorail, but you can also walk to the Magic Kingdom in less time then it takes to monorail there, this also comes in handy at times when the monorail is not running due to maintenance etc. It has happened on several of my previous trips that the resort monorail was not running and if you are at the Poly or Grand Floridian, you will have a bit of a bus ride to get anywhere.

The food at the Contemporary is great as well and the hotel certainly seems to have less hustle and bustle in the lobbies and common areas, as the Poly has the Diner show and general themeing that attracts non resort guests to the resort.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning for next month, you need to decide fast!

Have you made a decision? Reservations?

Good luck and have fun!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11