Quantcast Swan vs Dolphin?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swan vs Dolphin?

We are planning a family reunion in October. I was wondering before booking if there is a difference between the two sides of the hotel. Is Swan better than the Dolphin? or does it matter? Are the pools located near each etc? Restaurants in each one? I have only been inside once and I don't really remember it too well. I have never stayed there before. I have stayed at Boardwalk and Beach Club and LOVE that area.....
    I would appreciate any feedback.
    It will be 8 adults and 4 children ages 7, 6, 2 and 1.
    Also, if the free dining plan is offered during that time does this hotel participate in it?
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only stayed at The Dolphin (3x) and it is a great hotel. The pools are located between the two hotels, and there are at least 3 restaurants in each.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed in both hotels. I slightly prefer the Dolphin for a couple of reasons. Both hotels have a lap pool, but the grotto pool is closer to the Dolphin. For quick bites and morning coffee, there is Picabu, a 24 hour cafeteria/market, located in the Dolphin. For evening cocktails, Bluezoo, in the Dolphin is great. However, if kareoke is your thing, the Swan has Kimonos.
    Also, in favor of the Swan, the queen beds there seem better. And you are a few steps closer to the Boardwalk. That is if you walk. The Swan is a smaller hotel, and feels cozy compared to the "convention" vibe of the Dolphin. For that reason, my family likes the Swan better. But for me, the ammenities at the Dolphin makes it a better choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive stayed at both.
    As far as price goes, it seems like they often swap in terms of which hotel is cheaper. Probably has to do with the season, and if there are any conventions going on.
    Dolphin is a larger hotel than the Swan because of the Convention Halls. I think that is the only real benefit of the Swan. You might be staying at the Dolphin sometime when there is a convention and there will be hundreds of people walking around the lobby, jamming up the restaurants etc.
    The pool is shared by both hotels.
    The Dolphin has a few more choices for food.
    And I think the Mediterranean Market in the Dolphin has a better breakfast buffet than the Grotto in the Swan.
    Rooms are identical in design and amenities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    Also, if the free dining plan is offered during that time does this hotel participate in it?
    Being that these are Starwood Hotels on Disney property The Swan and The Dolphin do not participate in the Dining plan nor do they participate in Magical Express from the airport
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnfr2424 View Post
    Being that these are Starwood Hotels on Disney property The Swan and The Dolphin do not participate in the Dining plan nor do they participate in Magical Express from the airport

I forgot about magical express. Thanks! I won't fly...I know my sis and I are driving but I know that my parents/other sister and brother are flying...so thanks for this info!
    I have eaten at Kimonos and if I remember correctly I was able to use my DVC discount there...they took it then when my son was 7 months old. I wonder if that is still a perk.....I will have to look into that.
    I'm not using my DVC points for this trip though hence why we are staying at Swan and Dolphin with the entire fam.
    I appreciate all the info about the 2 hotels! Right now the Dolphin for that time frame is a tad cheaper than the Swan...Not sure if that means there is a convention or not....
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback!
    First Trip '77
    DVC mem '04

Post Thanks / Like

We have always stayed at the Dolphin. We get a better rate and get points for free rooms or upgrades that are not available to us thru the Swan. You are able to use any of the amenities at either hotel and they are a small walk from one another. The food court is open 24 hrs at the Dolphin. They both have "Heavenly Beds" that are so amazing we purchaced one for our home
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I had heard about their beds. We chose the dolphin! Thanks for the info! Cannot wait!
    First Trip '77
    DVC mem '04

Post Thanks / Like

You'll love it! We're headed there again in May! Can't wait---such a relaxed, luxurious feel!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

We are considering the Swan for November. I like queen beds. Looks like a gorgeous hotel.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    You'll love it! We're headed there again in May! Can't wait---such a relaxed, luxurious feel!
    Thanks! We are leaving Disney May 12th...staying at AKL this time So we you will be coming as we are going Then Dolphin in October. This is the first time planning my 2nd trip before my 1st trip even begins!!
    Have a wonderful time in May!!!
    First Trip '77
    DVC mem '04

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both and prefer the Dolphin. Both have their plusses and it really depends what you're looking for. The Dolphin is the grander hotel, huge lobby with a lot of action going on compared to the Swan. The Swan is much quieter and also a bit more spread out.

At the Dolphin you are a bit closer to the big pool, and you also have the picabu market downstairs which has the coffee mugs you buy for free refils ect... The beds at both are pretty nice, but the Swan is a Westin owned and the Dolphin is Sheraton, so the Swan does have bigger beds. Swan has 2 queen beds vs the Dolphin with 2 full sized beds.

We liked being at the hotel with more action going on, the Dolphin is def. that. We also liked having the 24 hour market downstairs so we could grab coffee real quick in the mornings and drinks during lunch/after park returns. The only drawback was the bed size, and we dealt with that just fine. Hope you have fun, the location is 2nd to none!

Post Thanks / Like

Does the Swan have the refillable mugs?
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    Does the Swan have the refillable mugs?
    I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing people lugging them around like I see at Disney resorts.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timberho View Post
    d The beds at both are pretty nice, but the Swan is a Westin owned and the Dolphin is Sheraton.
    They are actually franchises. They are owned by Tishman and managed by Starwood Lodging.

You can use the facilities at either hotel when you stay at one.

And I don't think the Swan has refillable mugs but you can get it at the Dolphin even if you are staying at the Swan and refill it at Picabu.

And both resorts have the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in anywhere.

I prefer the Dolphin because the Grotto pool is closer and Picabu is a definite perk for when you come back to the hotel late at night and you are starving.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    Thanks! We are leaving Disney May 12th...staying at AKL this time So we you will be coming as we are going Then Dolphin in October. This is the first time planning my 2nd trip before my 1st trip even begins!!
    Have a wonderful time in May!!!
    Lol. I'm actually doing that, too. DH surprised me by saying we should plan to go in early fall, to "celebrate my retirement" again.... Sure!
    48 days till the first trip!!! I'm ready!
    I really enjoyed AKL, too. Haven't ruled that out if we can get it in September.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I just booked 2 rooms at The Swan through MJ for Thanksgiving Week. I'm looking forward to it and got great rates too!!
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    I just booked 2 rooms at The Swan through MJ for Thanksgiving Week. I'm looking forward to it and got great rates too!!
    Enjoy we will be right across the causeway staying at the Dolphin!
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnfr2424 View Post
    Enjoy we will be right across the causeway staying at the Dolphin!
    Funny --- DD14 wanted to stay at The Dolphin; but DH wanted the queen beds so that is why we are at the Swan.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: