Quantcast Be careful buying lots of pins online

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Be careful buying lots of pins online

A number of unauthorized copies of Disney pins (AKA "scrappers) are turning up in online auctions. Manufacturers in China make more pins than Disney orders, and then release the unauthorized ones directly into the secondary market.

Signs that you risk getting scrappers:
    • a seller offers multiple identical lots.
    • an inexpensive lot contains hard to find pins, or pins that were released on very limited quantities.
    • a single lot contains several of the same pin.

Don't buy mystery lots; make sure the photo is of the exact pins you will receive. Once you receive them, check them over. Fortunately, the manufacturers tend to cut corners with scrappers. Look out for blemishes, blurring, inadequate paint coverage, unreadable back stamps, colors that look "off," or areas that should be painted dark instead being bare silver metal (e.g. Chip's nose) If you receive suspicious pins, contact your seller before you leave any feedback, and try to work it out.

You probably can't avoid scrappers totally - I've got a dozen or so here that came in otherwise nice lots. I'll either throw them away or use them as thumbtacks.

So why does this matter? Aside from the rather important legal and ethical problems with scrappers, they inhibit trading, because cast members are highly likely to have the most commonly available pins on their lanyards before your child tries to trade with them. The people who unwittingly buy scrappers end up with mostly the same pins, and your child can't trade a pin that the cast member already has. In addition, if you paid Disney prices for a Limited Edition 200 pin, and then there are suddenly 2000 copies of the pin out there, you no longer have what your thought you paid for, right?

Disney pins are a great hobby - I buy them, sell them, collect them, and trade them. (I also give them as gifts, so be nice to me ) The scrappers are very frustrating, and I think it will take all of refusing to accept them from anybody to clean up the marketplace.

OK - end of rant
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you completely, but I also realize that there are so many conterfeit pins that it is almost impossible to avoid them. And, in some cases, you can't even tell the difference.

It is just sad that we live in such a corrupt world.

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Urbss View Post
    there are so many conterfeit pins that it is almost impossible to avoid them. And, in some cases, you can't even tell the difference.
    Yeah. >sigh<
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default I wish I read this before I

bought my pins from a seller on ebay. I looked and this seller has multiple auctions with the same picture. I bought 25 and paid $19 so I thought I got a great price. My parents always said if it is too good to be true it is. I was so excited to surprise my daughter with these so she could trade pins when we go in June. We have been saving for this trip forever. She is 9 years old and I read about pin trading and I was trying to save money since we have spent every cent on our trip. Oh well...I'll keep my fingers crossed that I get some good pins when they come in - if they ever get here at all. Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well...I guess I was scammed..

I just rec'd my package of pins. Though I couldn't believe it there it was Chip's nose had no paint! They look ok to me but I guess to experts they will not be good. Most say Hidden Mickeys, some are Cast Lanyards, and some are Disneyland. Will my daughter(9) be able to trade any? I don't want anyone to embarass her and say they are not the right kind. I'll have to look more closely to see if there is anything else to indicate a problem. Very disappointing....

Post Thanks / Like

I really wouldn't worry - she will be able to trade.

We've purchased a couple of lots of ebay, and had a couple of clearly-obvious fakes, but in general they seemed OK, and DD had a blast trading them.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a lot from ebay - 20 pins for $17 - they all look good. I bought them for the kids to trade at our trip to DL in a few weeks. I hope there's no issue with them trading. I've read stories of CMs refusing to trade because the pins aren't real. Anyone have this happen?
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

DD is the pin trader in our family, and she has never had any issues ... I really wouldn't worry.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

My son and I buy pins online all the time and we never had a problem trading then at Disney world
    we keep the ones we need and we trade the ones we have. its a lot of fun trading them. Have fun trading.
    All star Movies Oct 2003( my first trip to Disney
    POP Century Oct. 2004
    POP Century Oct. 2007
    POP Century Oct. 2010
    Art of Animation Oct. 2013
    POP Century march 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my lot today. 100 pins for $67. Got some great ones too. I finished one Donald Duck set, and the beginning of a few different sets. Only 1 duplicate. I am getting so excited, only 17 day til we leave.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: