Quantcast STAYING at POP

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STAYING at POP

Post Thanks / Like

Default STAYING at POP

I am staying at POP for the first time and getting really worried after reading reviews on other sites. I know any resort is what you make of it but is it as bad as they say? We usually stay at the WL but are cutting costs this trip since we are piggy backing a Disney Cruise. Anyone been there in the past two months? Any problems or great experieinces. We are going in August for 4 days.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From my experience and from what I have heard from others pop is the best value.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

POP has become my favorite resort. For the amount you are spending, it is perfect. I LOVE the pools, kiddie area, food court and even the room. We stayed there in Sept and I had no complaints at all.

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at Pop at least 5 times and going back in less than 2 weeks for our 6th. We love staying here.
    Been there, done that, going back!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been in the last couple months, but for value I will always stay at POP! We love it! You're going to always have some people give bad reviews. You have to look past that. Some people complain over everything. If I had not been saving for 3 years, we would be staying there again! I just wanted to upgrade to a Mod (in 20 days!!) We consider POP our home! You can't beat those huge icons! Always requested 90 buldings near the computer pool. Short walk to food court and busses. And Pop is the only value that has it's own bus. Have fun!!
    SuzieBell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Numerous trips as a child
    1981 - Grad Nite
    1990 - 1 special day with Mom & Dad
    1991 - Off Site - Honeymoon
    2005 - Pop Century (DS 1st trip)
    2008 - Pop Century

2011 - CBR - Surprise B'day for DS
    2014 - POR - Another Surprise B'day for DS

Post Thanks / Like

No complaints from me either. We've stayed countless times and never really had any bad experiences. Pop recently under went refurbishments, so I wouldn't worry at all.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Since POP opened we have stayed there 4 times and are staying there again this September. We love it and according to Birnbaums Guide to Disney the resort is the best value and the food court has been rated one of the best. Do not worry... Enjoy your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Just try to adjust your expectations. If you're used to the WL, go knowing that Pop is NOT the WL. Not in any way. For what it is, it's not bad, but it's a completely different experience. My personal opinion of Pop is sort of negative. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say I'm done staying at the Values for good. It's just not enjoyable to me anymore. Too much about it aggravates me (I must be getting old!).

But, you are going on a Disney cruise! And, THAT will be fabulous, so I think a couple days at Pop won't be too bad.

Expect loudness, crowds, and a food court that is quite chaotic and sometimes messy. Expect long bus lines exposed to the elements. Knowledge is power. As long as you know what CAN be, you won't be too upset when you experience it. I think the people who have really negative things to say about the values really go in with too high of expectations. They think because it's Disney, it will be utopia. It's just not. The values are really nicely themed motels. That is all.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at many resorts including several times at WL. Except for my ability to get lost several times due to size, I LOVED POP. Food Court - ate at resort more than usual. Transportation - best ever! Room size - smaller, but who stays very long in the room! Ambience - fun! We were going back to WL on next trip, but if we can save $$$ and go longer, POP it is!!!
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    I am staying at POP for the first time and getting really worried after reading reviews on other sites. I know any resort is what you make of it but is it as bad as they say? We usually stay at the WL but are cutting costs this trip since we are piggy backing a Disney Cruise. Anyone been there in the past two months? Any problems or great experieinces. We are going in August for 4 days.
    I am curious to read these bad reviews. Can you PM me where you read them?

Pop Century is an awesome value resort, much better than those All-Stars. Just do not think you are walking into deluxe resort accommodations. Take into considertion, though, there are many doomers and gloomers in the Disney online community. They have their own agenda to hate everything and like nothing. Always consider the source, then form your own opinions from your own experiences.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Since POP opened we have stayed there 4 times and are staying there again this September.
    Me too! Maybe I will see ya there!
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I did not request a year building I don't think. I just asked for non preferred facing the lake. I thought it might be quieter. The reviews I read mostly complained about noise in the rooms and food court. did anyone find the rooms very noisy or the food court that bad.

We don't mind walking and are looking forward to exploring a new resort. I heard that there is a triva walk or something?
    Thanks for the replies, It made me more comfortable about my choice.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    I am curious to read these bad reviews. Can you PM me where you read them?
    Likewise, I'd like to read them, so please PM me as well. I'll wager the expectation was for much more luxurious (I've never stayed at a Value, but I am contemplating it for our visit after this year ... the pools look outrageous, and not much more crowed than Fort Wilderness, which is basically a big rectangle with a small slide.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

I did not request a year building I don't think. I just asked for non preferred facing the lake. I thought it might be quieter. The reviews I read mostly complained about noise in the rooms and food court. did anyone find the rooms very noisy or the food court that bad.
    The rooms are noisy from the INSIDE. The walls are thin. You can hear your neighbor's toilets flushing, people coughing and talking, and the housekeepers vacuuming early in the morning, etc. Being out back by the lake, you will likely hear construction noise from the Art of Animation resort across the way. If you're not in your room much during the day, it won't be a problem.

The food court can be really good or really annoying, depending on when you go. If you can avoid the most common mealtimes, and eat either early or late, you will have a better experience. Messiness is due mostly to the other guests, so everyone had somewhat different experiences. The actual food court food is very good, for the most part. I had no complaints about the food or selection there.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed our stay at Pop Century last November/December. We liked the theming, our room was good and in good repair, and the property was well maintained. It was not busy at the resort. Noise was not a problem in our room, though I don't think many of the rooms around us were occupied.

Our only complaint was the bus service. We had our own vehicle which we used most of the time. One the couple occasions where we did use the buses, we had to wait a long time for a bus.

We had breakfast at Everything Pop almost every morning. It was busy but never really crowded. It was less busy when we went early. We enjoyed the food and really liked the sundaes (great value for a snack credit.)

I would not say Pop Century is a bad resort. We would be happy to stay there again.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying at Pop

My favorite resort is pop - just got back (April 29-May 8) - had a wonderful time, great room, great service...two favorites at the food court: the breakfast wrap...and the mom's night out turkey dinner, yum yum...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The rooms are noisy from the INSIDE. The walls are thin. You can hear your neighbor's toilets flushing, people coughing and talking, and the housekeepers vacuuming early in the morning, etc. Being out back by the lake, you will likely hear construction noise from the Art of Animation resort across the way. If you're not in your room much during the day, it won't be a problem.

The food court can be really good or really annoying, depending on when you go. If you can avoid the most common mealtimes, and eat either early or late, you will have a better experience. Messiness is due mostly to the other guests, so everyone had somewhat different experiences. The actual food court food is very good, for the most part. I had no complaints about the food or selection there.
    i'm curious as to what has you so down on POP.we only stay there. we've been at peak season and off season and we love it.yes the food court can be noisey and busy but i've never seen chaotic. a little messy? no worse than any other food court at disney.the noise inside your room is manageable.yes you can hear showers running & toilets flushing but its not bad enough to ruin your stay.the only outside noise i hear are people walking by talking or housekeeping with their carts.Bus service to me is the best at POP .they dont share with other resorts (allstars share a bus except at closing sometimes)long lines leaving the resort depends on what time you leave and which park your going to,but it's disney expect to wait in lines your whole trip.but i have seen extremely long lines for the bus at closing time at MK (we'll never do that again) My dw & i have gone resort hopping to see the christmas decorations at the deluxe resorts and that was the worst bus service ever.finally a value resort is not a deluxe so dont expect the same vibe.the deluxes seem more prim & proper while the values are laid back and fun. everyone has their opinion and mine is POP is the best.

Post Thanks / Like

We also stay at POP all the time. We are former deluxe but saw the light and the money and now only stay POP.
    I don't understand some that look down at the values. How silly. It's like a neighbor of mine that drives 7 miles out of her way to save 4 cents on a gallon of milk.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that I look down on the values at all. I don't. I've stayed at every one of them, except AS Sports, in the past.

My issues are more personal in nature. I have extremely sensitive hearing. I cannot sleep with ANY noise at all. My trip to Pop, I ended up with a terrible migraine, and all I wanted to do was get some good sleep. The noise in the room, outside the room, etc. just kept me up all night. I even had earplugs, and I could still hear all the noise. With a migraine, noise aggravates it more, and I felt tortured trying to sleep at Pop. I've had migraines at other resorts, and many Disney ones, and Pop was the only one that was so loud I could literally not sleep. Plus the bed was SO hard and bouncy...extremely difficult to get comfortable on.

The rest of my stay, everything just rubbed me the wrong way. The noise in Everything Pop was deafening to me. Almost made my migraine come back. It was SO hot and sunny, and having to stand in bus lines outside with no cover was killing me. Then, I just had HORRIBLE bus service for 4 days there. By the end of the stay, I was wishing I had spent the extra money to be at the nice, dark, quiet Wilderness Lodge.

That horrible long weekend really soured me on the Values altogether. I realized that I want more out of my vacations. I need relaxation and comfort, and the Values lack both, in my opinion.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We don't mind walking and are looking forward to exploring a new resort. I heard that there is a triva walk or something?
    Thanks for the replies, It made me more comfortable about my choice.
    If you were to request a room facing the lake, I would suggest a room in the 50's building -- Building 3. It is NOT a "preferred" location, so is a bit less expensive and only a minute or so more of a walk.

Yes, there is a path, starting at the 50's parking lot, referred to as "Memory Lane." It has periodic posts with questions on one side, with the answers on the back. (If you do the walk from the 90's parking lot, you see the answers first!! LOL) This also gives you a great look at and across Hourglass Lake and a view of the construction for the Art of Animation Resort.

Make sure you take a little time and walk across the Generation Gap Bridge, as it gives even better views of the lake (and sometimes you will see the big turtles swimming around) and will be the path between the two resorts, once AoAR is open.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: