Quantcast Random observations of my first trips as a parent.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Random observations of my first trips as a parent.

As the title says, this is not really a fully detailed trip report but random comments that come to mind from my first trip as a parent. My DW and I took our 17 month old son to WDW Feb 4-10 and stayed at the WL.

*The Disney Visa Greet is a great way to get a toddler used to the characters. Its only your family and the characters and he can take his time to explore. He was scared at first but really warmed up to them quickly. He loved all characters the rest of the week.

*Finding Nemo attraction and new version of Mexico really get better through a child's eyes.

*Bring your own stroller if you can. Our son really loved taking naps in his own stroller.

*Getting from Downtown Disney to Hollywood Studios can be a real pain. (Do not trust anyone that tells you the studios is a "short walk" from the Boardwalk.)

*Disney could charge $10 for a bottle of water in the walkway from the Boardwalk to the Studios. (My DW assures me she would have gladly paid $20)

*I have noticed a lot of criticism here for the interactive queues. I found them to be well done and effective. Almost makes you wish you had not gotten a fast pass.

*I had always complied with my fast pass return window until this trip. My son seemed to be taking a nap anytime our window for Pooh arrived. Two weeks ago I was all in favor of enforcing the window, now I am not so sure.

*Did Space Mountain for the first time since the rehab. Did not really notice many differences. Maybe it was all the screaming?

* The Yak and Yeti Quick service has some really yummy food. The honey chicken was great.

*Is there any better smelling but worse tasting popcorn than the one at WDW? My wife always falls for the smell only to be disappointed.

*You want to collect hundreds of Mickey stickers in a week? Take a child to Disney. WOW! They came at us from all angles!

*The Roaring Fork's flatbreads are great. Too bad I discovered them on our last day.

*You think Epcot is huge? Take a stroller. Then you will really know how huge it is. Our favorite park became our least favorite during this trip.

*While the lines were not bad at all during this week, it seemed as if the walkways were always full.

*Have read a lot about the cheerleaders and brazilians during this week. There were a lot of cheerleaders, but I only saw one brazilian group and it was not made up of only teenagers, it seemed to be made up of families. The big touring groups we saw filled with teenagers were not brazilian but argentinian. I found them to be well behaved in the most part. The only problem is when you see them walking towards you or even worse in front of you towards the same attraction you are headed to.

*Is there a worse place to be on a crowded day than the Studios?

*The carrousel at MK seems to be a really short ride. Not an easy one for parents of infants who still don't undersatnd the concept of having to get back in line.

*Disney should establish a weekly schedule for characters. Having different ones on different days of the week in addition to the regular ones that appear daily. While I know the Fab five, Pooh, Buzz, and the princesses must be there every single day. Would anyone really mind if on Monday you had Pinocchio, but on Tuesday it were somebody else? The characters were all the same at all times during the whole week. While I appreciate they do not change characters during breaks like they used to, you could still change from day to day.

That is it for now maybe I'll remember a few more later. The trip was great, our son really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Post
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch,esq View Post
    *Is there any better smelling but worse tasting popcorn than the one at WDW? My wife always falls for the smell only to be disappointed.
    We've always enjoyed the popcorn, but taste is subjective.

*You want to collect hundreds of Mickey stickers in a week? Take a child to Disney. WOW! They came at us from all angles!

I agree. When my youngest was younger, we'd get tons of stickers each trip.

*Disney should establish a weekly schedule for characters. Having different ones on different days of the week in addition to the regular ones that appear daily. While I know the Fab five, Pooh, Buzz, and the princesses must be there every single day. Would anyone really mind if on Monday you had Pinocchio, but on Tuesday it were somebody else? The characters were all the same at all times during the whole week. While I appreciate they do not change characters during breaks like they used to, you could still change from day to day.

I would hate this. Among all the other things we have to schedule around, I would not want to add this to the mix.

Going the first time with your child does open you eyes in a whole new way. I fell in love with Disney all over again after my children began going. It's a new magic!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

*The carrousel at MK seems to be a really short ride. Not an easy one for parents of infants who still don't undersatnd the concept of having to get back in line.
    This was certainly our experience when we traveled with a 2 year old who did NOT want to get off the ride at the end!

We dined at the Yak & Yeti quick service location on our last trip and really enjoyed it!

You have certainly outlined how different trips become when you have children along!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

When DS was young the hardest one for us was Dumbo. You wait in line forever for a really short ride.

I miss, now that DS is older, the way he changed our view of WDW. It was so much fun seeing it through his eyes.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip with our children was so special! I cherish those memories, and only wish we hadn't waited so long to take them (they were 3 and 6 at the time.) I'm glad your first experience was a positive one, and here's wishing you many more magical Disney trips as a family!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I also was completely in favor of Disney enforcing the fast pass time windows; however you make a valid point. It would have been disappointing for your baby to either miss out on seeing the ride or waking him up for it and not being able to enjoy it because he's sleepy and probably cranky. It's been a long time since I've been at WDW with a baby, so I didn't think of this!

Loved your post. Thanks!
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they could have helped you out with this. We have yet to ride Toy Story Mania with children. My son was always napping during our fast pass time but one time we were actually all the way at the front of the line when my son fell asleep in my hubby's arms, they told us to come back and gave us a fast pass that didn't expire. While I don't know if they will do that for people not on line yet because I didn't try but it could be a thought to try next time? I would roll my sleeping child to the entrance and ask. You have nothing to lose.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

So glad to see your perspective. We are travelling with a child for the first time in April and can't wait to see his reactions! He is 11 (our Godson), so it'll be different than a toddler, but I still really enjoyed reading your post!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

(Do not trust anyone that tells you the studios is a "short walk" from the Boardwalk.)

LOL. Actually, we walked from the Studios to Boarwalk and then on to Yacht Club this summer after Fantasmic. We were surprised at how short the walk was! Maybe the difference was that it was late in the evening and the temperature was comfortable. I certainly wouldn't want to take that walk in 90 degree humid weather.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

Each time you now take your DS. to WDW you will see it in yet another perspective and each trip will be like no other.

Enjoy!!

May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds great, i agree Roaring Forks flatbreads are yummy

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

every bit of this is very good "food for thought"
    " I'm Grumpy cause you're Dopey "

CSR MAR 2012
    POR Jan 2012
    WLR Christmas 2010
    CSR July 2010
    A S Sports- Agst 2009
    CBR - ESPN Weekend 2009
    CSR - ESPN Weekend 2008
    POR - Sept 2007
    YC - July 2006
    POR - Christmas 2005

GRUMPY DUDE

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this post! Taking my 2 year old in May for the first time..should definitely be a different experience..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

My son Loved Loved Loved all the Mickey stickers he was given everywhere, there are still some in the car...
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: