Quantcast Price Increase June 12th - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Broken record here, but this is the stuff that makes it easier to NOT go back to WDW. We made a promise to one of our daughters to go back in 2013, but we have given no consideration to a further visit beyond that trip. In fact, my wife and I have been planning it as if it is going to be our last one. Maybe they will continue to find guests to keep things afloat, but I have no problem being on the outside looking in.
    I think we're just about there, this recent increase is just hastening the process.

I know they are expanding Fantasyland, but what about Epcot? They have an abandoned pavillion (WoL) and the Imagination Pavillion feels like they've stopped trying. Also, I've looked at EMH for the week we are going and there are fewer EMH hours this year than last. I'm just not seeing the value here anymore, especially when I see them dumping a lot of capital into DLR.

It saddens me, because WDW holds many happy childhood memories, but I think it's time to start thinking about letting go.
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just cut a day off our Disney plans in October... Instead of 5 days in Disney parks, we are doing 4...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 10-day no-expiration tix to cover our long weekend in Oct and our longer stay in June 2012. At least I'm covered for the next price increase (or two!)

Tess

poly07

poly08
    pop09
    popChristmas09
    contemporaryJune10
    wlOctober10
    wlChristmas10
    polyMay11
    wlOctober11
    bcJune12
    dreamThanksgiving12
    bcJune13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Don't quote me on that LOL... I would definately find out from Disney... But I believe you are not going to get zinged with the increase... Again, I could be wrong...
    Oh its already be brought to the bank lol crossing fingers that we aren't touched.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Calling today to make final payment on my trip in August will let you know if I get hit with incresae.

I agree with many posters that the price is n ow way out of hand. I love WDW but we will now make our trips every three years instead of every two. Maybe if they stopped giving away the dinning plan they could make money up without raises ticket prices.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it sure is a bummer that prices are going up again...

BUT as another comparison, let's look at lift tickets at some of Colorado's leading ski hills:

Steamboat (where I live):
    One Day:$97
    Season Pass: $1029

Vail
    Season Pass:$649

Keystone
    One Day:$92

Loveland (one of the cheapest hills)
    One Day: $59
    Season Pass:$359

Ok, that's enough for a comparison. Anyways, there are discounts for multiple days, like at WDW, and some of those season passes are good at multiple ski hills (not Steamboat). I personally think that you ski one hill, all other ones are pretty similar (at least here in CO). Granted I'm not a skiier, and I would far prefer to spend a day at WDW than a day on a cold scary ski hill. There are many families that their thing is skiing, and then there are us whose thing is Disney. I personally think a day at Disney has far more to offer than a day on a ski hill, and the prices at ski hills are a bit higher than Disney.

It stinks that prices are going up, but really it seems to be the case in these situations...
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mammabruski View Post
    Wow, it sure is a bummer that prices are going up again...

BUT as another comparison, let's look at lift tickets at some of Colorado's leading ski hills:

Steamboat (where I live):
    Season Pass: $1029

Vail
    Your post made me laugh...a few days ago my Fiance suggested skiing in vail next winter. When I looked up lift ticket prices I said he could keep his skiing, I'd rather spend that on disney...
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mammabruski View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of the comparison is.

I have never once thought of WDW as competing with ski resorts. Disney got close to that game, but it never actually happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Buying 5-day park hoppers for my family of 5 is now nearly 20 percent more than the annual dues on our Vacation Club membership (and that's with 300 points).

We just returned from a 5-night stay at Bay Lake Tower, but because of ticket prices, we only spent three days at the parks, which were very crowded even for the first full week in June. We bought 2-day tickets because one of our park days was left over from previous tickets, and we spent one day at Universal and another day at the hotel pools. We spent less money than ever on souvenirs, and we went back to our room about half the time to make our own meals to save money on food.

I just don't know how we're going to be able to keep vacationing at the parks. I'm looking at using DVC points for Hilton Head next time.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Well, I just cut a day off our Disney plans in October... Instead of 5 days in Disney parks, we are doing 4...
    I feel for you. We are cutting a night off our usual "week" at the Food and Wine. I did get a great bounceback for the room though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Buying 5-day park hoppers for my family of 5 is now nearly 20 percent more than the annual dues on our Vacation Club membership (and that's with 300 points).

We just returned from a 5-night stay at Bay Lake Tower, but because of ticket prices, we only spent three days at the parks, which were very crowded even for the first full week in June. We bought 2-day tickets because one of our park days was left over from previous tickets, and we spent one day at Universal and another day at the hotel pools. We spent less money than ever on souvenirs, and we went back to our room about half the time to make our own meals to save money on food.

I just don't know how we're going to be able to keep vacationing at the parks. I'm looking at using DVC points for Hilton Head next time.
    I said the same thing months ago. As Disney builds out DVC, I think they are going to find that members will actually just use the accomodations more for their vacation than the parks, etc.

Since we bought way back in 2001, I think we've spent less and less each trip. I'm finding that relaxing at the resort is actually a lot of fun, and making meals isn't all that bad. We stopped buying merchandise almost entirely, and we have groceries delivered from off-site, so we're not even spending money at the general stores.

I think I'm going to start looking at renting out my points and using the cash for trips elsewhere. Many people consider the cost of renting the points a bargain compared to the price of other Disney hotels, and it more than makes up for my dues.

The avg wage increase at my company was like 2.5% Much, much less than the prices of everything else going up, and I need gas in my car, food in my mouth, and a roof over my head before I need to spend the first dime on a trip to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Price Increases

I am so glad I paid for the tickets for our August trip a couple of weeks ago.

For myself and my two daughters (both classed as adults) I'm getting 9-day park-hoppers. So it adds up.

I will enjoy spending the money on something else.
    Lisaj13
    Disneyland - Four times
    Disney World - Three times

Post Thanks / Like

I have never once thought of WDW as competing with ski resorts. Disney got close to that game, but it never actually happened.
    Its a decent comparison. Skiing is a form of entertainment for some people just like WDW is entertainment. Tekneek is not saying its Disney is competing, but its a good example of how people are willing to spend money on stuff they enjoy. For instance I know people who spend way more on season tickets for the Chicago Cubs then I do on my Disney World trips. (plus Disney World is always fun, Cubs games not so much...this coming from a Cubs fan)

I do think ticket prices are increasing too rapidly but I take advantage of my DVC Annual pass discount and get two trips per Annual pass. When you figure it out I'm spending roughly $20 a day per person. So even though it ends up being a nice chunk of change I am willing to spend the money because this what like to do.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just Disney. It's all over, and if you just go for a day or two to these parks....the prices are a rip-off!!!!!!!!!

For example: My family of 4 2 adults 2 kids over 54" Myrtle Waves waterpark $140 for 8 hours

Camelbeach Waterpark $120

Hershey Park with a coupon is a deal at $145 IMO.

SeaWorld cost me $80 last year per person that's $320 to walk in the door for one day. Ouch....at least you get the 2nd day free there. Let me tell you that Sea World was so understaffed last summer that you loaded yourself on the rides. They had 2 to 3 people working the entire ride. Not as neat and clean either.
    Was looking into Universal but that was going to run me $481 for a 2 day 1 park a day pass for all of us.
    Basically folks...doing nothing is cheap!!! The prices are high everywhere. I love the parades, fireworks, and all the magic that goes into these parks. They are clean and well cared for. That all costs money. Just my two cents.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=waymickey;2178920]Calling today to make final payment on my trip in August will let you know if I get hit with incresae. /QUOTE]

I called and was not hit with the increase yay!
    But this is our last trip for a long while. Boo!
    I love love love disney but just can't afford it every year now.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Its a decent comparison. Skiing is a form of entertainment for some people just like WDW is entertainment.
    I suppose. Seemed very far from an apples-to-apples comparison, as I don't really think they are often competing for the same niche in the marketplace.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Really? I completely disagree. Disney provides entertainment and competes with every other form of entertainment there is ... skiing, cruising, movies, sports, concerts ... so while maybe it's not a direct comparison in terms of the experience or the audience they're certainly competing for some of the same dollars.

Look, you can mock me if you want but to me $84 for a day in Disney World is a steal. Have you people looked at the prices for tickets to a ballgame or a concert for a high profile entertainer these days? Average price is well north of $100 and that's for like three hours worth of sitting in a seat and listening to about 50% of a music set that you like or watching your team maybe win or maybe lose.

Disney is like 12 or 13 solid hours of guaranteed fun. And listen ... the reason they keep raising their prices is because the demand is there. Trust me. I just got back. The parks are jammed. They're doing what any good business should and raising prices to meet increased demand.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think wdw is staying within the same margins of other park prices. When my sister came for a visit we went to sea world for one day. She paid $80 some odd dollars after tax etc.
    Went to Disney, she also paid $80 some odd dollars and was happily surprised- she thought she was going to pay a lot more & she felt she got a lot more time & fun at Disney. Firework shows are expensive to put on! A cast ensemble as big as wdw costs big $$. I think they're fairly competitive. And Universal ain't cheap either!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Have you people looked at the prices for tickets to a ballgame or a concert for a high profile entertainer these days? Average price is well north of $100 and that's for like three hours worth of sitting in a seat and listening to about 50% of a music set that you like or watching your team maybe win or maybe lose.
    As I suspected, all of these people/businesses are jockeying for the pie that I am not in. I don't (and won't) pay that kind of money for concerts or sport events.

Disney is like 12 or 13 solid hours of guaranteed fun. And listen ... the reason they keep raising their prices is because the demand is there. Trust me. I just got back. The parks are jammed. They're doing what any good business should and raising prices to meet increased demand.
    Hey, I hope it works out for them. I didn't say they couldn't do it. I'm saying it makes it easier for me to stay away. I don't even pay for TV (I settle for what I can get over-the-air for free, when I do watch TV at all). I am completely ok being outside of that frenzy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Really? I completely disagree. Disney provides entertainment and competes with every other form of entertainment there is ... skiing, cruising, movies, sports, concerts ... so while maybe it's not a direct comparison in terms of the experience or the audience they're certainly competing for some of the same dollars.

Look, you can mock me if you want but to me $84 for a day in Disney World is a steal. Have you people looked at the prices for tickets to a ballgame or a concert for a high profile entertainer these days? Average price is well north of $100 and that's for like three hours worth of sitting in a seat and listening to about 50% of a music set that you like or watching your team maybe win or maybe lose.

I concur! I wouldn't dream of paying those prices for entertainment in those arena's, but for all day fun with with my DH & DS's, completly immmmersed in the magical world of Disney - PRICELESS! I'll never forget youngest DS saying to older (bored) DS on a camping trip, "What do you think this is....Disney World" I'll gladly pay double what my local amusement park - minus all magic & detail at every level - charges for one day admission! Which btw, WDW tix get less expensive the longer you stay! So we stay as long as we can each visit!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: