Quantcast Does Child need be present to get GAC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Does Child need be present to get GAC

We have a DS with ADHD, ODD and SPD. My son's Doctor gave us a note for him to receive the GAC. I understand from other post that we probably do not need this note.
    My question is, does my son need to be with me when I go to Guest Services? We are arriving on Sunday but are not going to a park till Monday. I thought I could maybe go over to one of the parks alone to get the GAC and save us some time for Monday. I appreciate any input. Thank you

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I'm not sure because my son is always present when we've requested a GAC for him. It usually only takes 5-10 minutes, depending on how many people are in line at Guest Services, so if you have to wait until your son is with you, it hopefully won't be too hard on him.

Enjoy your trip!

Tess

poly07

poly08
    pop09
    popChristmas09
    contemporaryJune10
    wlOctober10
    wlChristmas10
    polyMay11
    wlOctober11
    bcJune12
    dreamThanksgiving12
    bcJune13

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they want your child to be with you, but with you does not mean that they have to be right beside you, it just means that they have to be site for the CM. You can just have them come in the building with you and stand off to the side, especially if the child is sensitive to being spoken about as to their problems.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is a requirement that the child be with you. The CM needs to visually see the person for whom the GAC is being written up.

Getting the GAC takes a minute, tops. Not worth trying to "save time" for. Just do it as soon as you enter your first park. If there is a long line, have someone else occupy your child and then call for him when you're near the front of the line.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for everyones reply. I had a feeling they would need to see him. I agree it is not worth trying to save some time if it only takes a few minutes. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

This post brought up a funny memory. Last June DS and I went to WDW w/o DH. While I was in line waiting to get ds' GAC at MK, DS got impatient and wandered into the gift shop adjacent to guest services. The shop is very open and I could kind of keep my eye on him, but it made me anxious! I kept getting out of line to check on him. The cms in the empty shop told me not to worry, he was fine just looking at everything and they'd keep an eye on him.

About 3 minutes later, it was our turn, so I called for my son. He shows up carrying all kinds of stuff from the shop-his arms were full-stuffed animals, a princess pin set, an autograph
    book and pen, etc. He just walked out like
    "Okay, I think I've got everything I need-thanks!"

When he showed up with this HUGE grin on his
    face, I was so shocked I burst out laughing, and
    so did the guest services cms!

Needless to say, as soon as we were done, we returned to the gift shop and put everything
    back. I apologized to the cms, but they just
    smiled and said they knew we'd come back with
    everything. I did end up buying the pin set for
    him b/c he wanted it so badly!

Tess

poly07

poly08
    pop09
    popChristmas09
    contemporaryJune10
    wlOctober10
    wlChristmas10
    polyMay11
    wlOctober11
    bcJune12
    dreamThanksgiving12
    bcJune13

Post Thanks / Like

AlaMode, that is a great story. I can see that happening to us. and of course having to buy something that he picked.

Post Thanks / Like

You know - our last trip we got a full week's worth of stroller tickets, the GAC, everything we needed on the first day at MGM - I never thought about this until I read the post as our son was not inside - he was out with his mom - hmmm - would not have been big deal as he was just outside but just something I never recognized.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I just got our very first GAC while we were in Disneyland a couple of weeks ago. We've never done this before so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a really quick process but they did ask to see him. He was sitting on a bench right near where we were. We received a stamp for an alternate entrance and it was a life saver! He also has ADHD and SPD and the lines have always been an issue for us, but not this time. It was such an enjoyable trip because we were able to utalize the GAC. I did also notice that some CMs for rides verified that Matt was with us in our group, while other CMs barely even looked at the pass.

Enjoy your trip!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

HHHMMMM What is the GAC? I checked under abbreviations and could find nothing associated with this term and when I put it in SEARCH it said nothing found. What is it for and why do so many people get them?
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

GAC= Guest Assistance Card. It helps out the CMs with unseen disabilities
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

My son has SPD and ADHD. I also have a note from the doctor. I worry that the CM won't know what SPD is.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

It's possible they won't (the CMs at GR aren't doctors). Just explain what you need (for example- not being able to wait in the sun, so needing a shaded place to wait while in line. Or being nearsighted, so needing to be in the front row. Ect).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    GAC= Guest Assistance Card. It helps out the CMs with unseen disabilities
    It also helps with visible disabilities. We've had an instance where my son (who is in a wheelchair and obviously mobility impaired) was denied access because we accidentally left the GAC back at the hotel. We learned to keep it with his wheelchair at all times now.
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klb View Post
    It also helps with visible disabilities. We've had an instance where my son (who is in a wheelchair and obviously mobility impaired) was denied access because we accidentally left the GAC back at the hotel. We learned to keep it with his wheelchair at all times now.
    Pardon my asking, but why would a wheelchair be denied, even if you didn't have the GAC (wheelchairs are allowed in the buildings).
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

At the time the standard queue for the ride he wanted could not accommodate wheelchairs, and we required alternate entry (which we were denied without the GAC). We also would have needed the ride's wheelchair accessible vehicle.
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

That is when you ask to see a supervisor. If the line is not wheelchair accessible, then you should automatically if you are using a wheelchair or ECV go thru the alternate entrance. That particular CM was wrong in denying you access to the ride and needs more training.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed Peemagg, and (if there's a) next time. I will do just that. Live and learn, I suppose.
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like Disneyland Paris the best. My daughter broke her foot and was in a wheelchair. We were required to get a disability card from guest services. Most of the time, when we arrived at the attraction, they gave the next person a card. We were told to go to the alternate entranced, where we waited until the person with the card got to the head of the line...we were then ushered onto the ride next...a great system...both for buses, rides and shows. Fair to all, just because she required a wheelchair, why should we expect to get to the head of the line.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Pirate Granny, that's a great system. As an ECV rider, I'd be glad to see that put in place. However, I am cognizant that it wouldn't work for all types of disabilities but for me, it would be perfect (I've learned to be very proficient at waiting while dealing with doctors) !
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: