Quantcast Late August Vacation ?'s

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Late August Vacation ?'s

Trying to decide on a trip to take advantage of the end of summer discounts being offered. My questions are....how are the crowds the last week of August prior to Labor Day (we would be checking out Sunday before Labor Day) and the weather....is it that bad then? We have travelled to Florida many times before in different months (April/November) but never a summer trip and was trying to get some input on what to expect.

BWV & HH

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is our preferred time to go! One word of note is that it will be HOT!! As for crowds, they pick up on the Friday of the Labour Day weekend. The locals all come out to play on this weekend and crowd levels will go up for the entire weekend. That said, since the schools are back in all over the south the crowds will be lower than the typical summer levels before the weekend. Also remember the parks are usually opened later into the night so there is more park time to enjoy.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

We went in late August, 5 yrs ago. There were no crowds prior to the Fri before labor day. It was like you had the park to yourself. Just before labor day, it all picked up and it got crowded, but not terribly. Yes it was hot, but not oppresive. Everyday you had a 12pm storm that lasted 20 min and then it was over, so we just ducked into a place. It was a very enjoyable trip. 2012 we are going the week before Easter, not THAT I hear gets really crowded, so we'll make sure we pack our patience.

Post Thanks / Like

We're going to be there at that time also. We've gone several times at the end of August and I love it. Crowds are low and the weather is hot but managable.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

We went in late August of 2007, it was HOT but not crowded.

We are going again this year at the end of August...truthfully the prices were really good!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info...it is what I expected to hear. I really hate humid/hot weather, but if we can do mornings and evenings and take it easy in the afternoons, maybe it will work out.
    Up in the air......

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

...we went to WDW late August last year (for the first time)...and were really happy with our decision to do so. Low crowds...because all the southern schools are back in session...and the weather was not all that hot (mid to high 80's daytimes). We had a great time...and are doing it again this August 27th thru Sept 5th!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

We've been twice in late August, and wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

The crowds are generally quite good, as most people are in "back to school" mode.

However, it is HOT!!! I've never been so hot in my whole life. The second trip we were much smarter and took lots more breaks, used air-conditioning whenever we could (ie walking through stores) and drank lots of water.

Most afternoons, when it was super hot, we'd head back for a swim (perfect swimming weather), and then back to the parks for the evenings.

Enjoy
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We love WDW in late August - it's seriously hot, though. Stay hydrated, go indoors when you can. I like wearing those scarves with the gel that you wet and put around your neck or head. (My family laughs at me, though)

Thunderstorms blow up pretty much every day in the late afternoon or early evening, clearing the park with the evening EMH out nicely! You can wear a poncho if you don't like getting wet -

It's also hurricane season - so we always take a lantern or two, water, granola bars, and stuff we can do for fun if we're confined to our room with no power (especially playing cards). So far, this has worked out very well for us, as we've never needed to use any of our preparations - I figure we've kept the hurricanes away by being ready.

(Anyone who's been at the World when we were there may thank us any time . . .)
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

We frequently go in late august. Partly to avoid crowds, but also to end our summer with a bang! It is hot, but the lines are much easier to get through so we often find that it isn't as affecting. It's just about being smart, staying hydrated, and not over doing it. We also do the swimming break mid day.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: