Quantcast Yikes!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yikes!

Over the past several years I have made 3 solo trips to WDW, based on business travel to Orlando.

While I, the WDW freak, enjoy this visits immensely, they are nonetheless not as good as the ones shared with the whole family (DW, DD1, DD2).

Recently I have gotten the itch for a family trip...YIKES -- this will be costly!!!!

So even if we drive (which saves $1000) and stay at a moderate resort for 7 nites, the cost will approach $4000 (including waterpark visits and a couple table service meals for 4) and this is assuming I obtain expected discounts.

I do't know if we can pull this off
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you, our upcoming trip is up to about $6,000. for 4 of us with Lodging, airfare, DDP, and Park tickets (WDW and Universal). Budgeting is key. How far out are you planning?

I am almost at the breaking point when I say the cost just can't be justified anymore, as much as I love Disney.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

That's why when we go to WDW I try to plan as far ahead of time as I can so for the room or package I can make smaller payments every 2 weeks or so, then pay for other things along the way like airfare, then rental car, at different times.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

As much as i hate to say it now might be the time to cut the strings and venture off site.

I
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree! Disney isn't a "cheap" vacation, but we still love it.

There are ways to make the trip cheaper - a value resort, or off-site (especially if you can get somewhere with a kitchen so you can prepare some meals).

We always plan our trip SUPER EARLY, and use it as motivation to put as much as we can away in our "Disney Fund" jar.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I always always stay at a valu resort now nad we love it.

you atill get the perks and amazing immersive feeling of being in disney.

they don`t have a sit down restaurant but we don`t really care about that and we always have a car anyway. If you go for a week or more you can save a lot of money and the rooms are pretty nice.
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered a value resort? The themes are probably cooler for the little ones and can save you quite a bit of money. If you don't spend much more than sleeping time and pool time there then it shouldn't matter. For us we always choose a value because upgrading to a mod or higher is just not worth the extra cost for us. Sure it'd be nice but we'd rather use that money elsewhere.
    Upcoming Trip - 9/2012
    9/18/10-9/25/10 POP (kids stay & play free)
    9/17/08-9/24/08 POP (free dining)
    9/2000 CBR
    9/1998 Offsite
    9/1996 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I usually stay at a value because my younger son likes the themes and my older daughter doesn't care where we stay . Also the money saved on going value pays for other parts of the trip.
    4/1985,10/1997,6/2000,7/2002-off site 7/2003-AS Music
    7/2005,2/2006,8/2007-POR
    2/08-AS Movies
    7/08,2/09,8/09,3/10-Pop Century
    11/10,8/11,8/12,11/12, 3/13,8/13 AS Sports
    Next trip???
    "It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would love to stay on property. Its is just to expensive. We always stay off site. It only takes about 20 minutes to get there from Clermont. We get a 2 bedroom 2 bath room condo for 2 weeks for around $825. We can cook meals and do laundry and have money left over to do all the buffets on site that we love like 1900 park, cape may ect.
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

Post Thanks / Like

First off Why stay at a mod?? We are staying 7 nights at POP. $700.00 and it is every bit as clean and good as anything else. HUGE savings. Then do you really need the water parks?? If so then cut out some park days.. Just not sure when your kids are 1 and 2 why you would go there and spend extra bucks than to wait until they are old enough to enjoy it. Where are you eating that it brings that cost up?? I would change that as well. If you can do that.. This time it will cost us 1200.00 not including the meals.We are hoping for free dining. If not we will eat once a day CS. We can do this if we really want to go this year. We also are driving. Too much for plane tickets this year.. Hope you can change some things to bring that cost down. Your kids are free so that $4000.00 is way to much to go IMHO. I would forgo it until I could save or justify it and that is becoming few and far between on going.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    First off Why stay at a mod?? We are staying 7 nights at POP. $700.00 and it is every bit as clean and good as anything else. HUGE savings. Then do you really need the water parks?? If so then cut out some park days.. Just not sure when your kids are 1 and 2 why you would go there and spend extra bucks than to wait until they are old enough to enjoy it. Where are you eating that it brings that cost up?? I would change that as well. If you can do that.. This time it will cost us 1200.00 not including the meals.We are hoping for free dining. If not we will eat once a day CS. We can do this if we really want to go this year. We also are driving. Too much for plane tickets this year.. Hope you can change some things to bring that cost down. Your kids are free so that $4000.00 is way to much to go IMHO. I would forgo it until I could save or justify it and that is becoming few and far between on going.
    Staying at POP or any other value would be the smart thing to do. We never stay at a mod or deluxe any more. It just doesn't make sense unless you have money to throw away.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't is it. When we are all out in the parks you cannot tell who stays at a mod or deluxe and is throwing good money out the window. Nor the buses either. Anyone can get on those buses just to see the resort or to fake people out that they stay there then catch bus back to the parks. It means nothing to me but the fact that I am staying 300.00 night or more cheaper. Can you imagine just think... 400.00 for maybe 9 hours in the room. Thats 50 dollars an hour to sleep and shower.. WOW.. I like my money with me. This is not put down to anyone who stays in them. It just makes no sense to our family. We come to Disney to do the parks not to act rich as my daughter says.. Good thinking that she is growing up and understanding
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWgoofy View Post
    Over the past several years I have made 3 solo trips to WDW, based on business travel to Orlando.

While I, the WDW freak, enjoy this visits immensely, they are nonetheless not as good as the ones shared with the whole family (DW, DD1, DD2).

Recently I have gotten the itch for a family trip...YIKES -- this will be costly!!!!

So even if we drive (which saves $1000) and stay at a moderate resort for 7 nites, the cost will approach $4000 (including waterpark visits and a couple table service meals for 4) and this is assuming I obtain expected discounts.

I do't know if we can pull this off
    Did you price what it would be if you stayed at a value? Just curious what the difference would be. I know for us we have stayed off site, then we did a couple value resorts then last trip we did a split stay at 2 mods and I must say we liked when we stayed at POFQ a lot and would love to do that again.

Maybe it is more expensive but to us it was worth it and didn't make us feel like we were throwing our money away.

I was pricing a room only for next April and was looking at POP and CBR and POP is about $124 a night and CBR is about $190 so not a huge huge difference ($66/night difference), plus it would be even cheaper with our AAA discount.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    It isn't is it. When we are all out in the parks you cannot tell who stays at a mod or deluxe and is throwing good money out the window. Nor the buses either. Anyone can get on those buses just to see the resort or to fake people out that they stay there then catch bus back to the parks. It means nothing to me but the fact that I am staying 300.00 night or more cheaper. Can you imagine just think... 400.00 for maybe 9 hours in the room. Thats 50 dollars an hour to sleep and shower.. WOW.. I like my money with me. This is not put down to anyone who stays in them. It just makes no sense to our family. We come to Disney to do the parks not to act rich as my daughter says.. Good thinking that she is growing up and understanding
    We come to Disney to do the parks not to act rich ....RIGHT ON! Who cares where you rent a room if you are in a park all day and not the room. Just enjoy being in the World with your fam. And Dont try to impress people who dont care in the first place.
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

Post Thanks / Like

There are not many family vacations that cost more than a Disney Vacation domestically. It is probably cheaper to go to Hawaii. I know that cruises come very inexpensively. I am thankful there are only 3 of us. This allows us to stay at Value resorts which helps. Cost of tickets is $250-$300 a person. It adds up so quickly, it is not even funny.

You will start to see that Disney will become a status symbol in the US and a majority of their patrons will be foreigners. It is unfortunate, but this is what the economy is prescribing now.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'm a Disney veteran I know the difference between a value and a moderate resort.

We are not a young family: me, DW, DD1 (23yo) DD2 (21 yo).

Pop is a small room (260 sq ft) with a small bath area and 1 sink. Meanwhile CBR room is the same size as as a lodge room (340 sq ft) and has 2 sinks and the difference in price assuming projected discounts is quite small. In fact I can get a moderate room for the same price as I did in 1998!

Frankly it is the pass prices and airfares that have sky-rocketed
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKFD43 View Post
    We come to Disney to do the parks not to act rich ....RIGHT ON! Who cares where you rent a room if you are in a park all day and not the room. Just enjoy being in the World with your fam. And Don't try to impress people who don't care in the first place.
    I am willing to bet most if not all people here don't stay at more expensive Resorts to impress anyone. I am sure they don't say "Hey Hun lets stay at Poly so we can make John and Jane Joe really jealous."

Quote Originally Posted by WDWgoofy View Post
    Hey, I'm a Disney veteran I know the difference between a value and a moderate resort.

We are not a young family: me, DW, DD1 (23yo) DD2 (21 yo).

Pop is a small room (260 sq ft) with a small bath area and 1 sink. Meanwhile CBR room is the same size as as a lodge room (340 sq ft) and has 2 sinks and the difference in price assuming projected discounts is quite small. In fact I can get a moderate room for the same price as I did in 1998!
    I can't imagine staying at a Value with 4 adults in one room.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of getting defensive about said comments and suggestions. Why not post that information from the start so that people can give you the correct advice. When you post DD and DS with no ages most people assume small children who would fit in a value resort much better.

June 2007--My Princess #1 First Trip!!!!! Off site
    June 2010--My Princess #2 First Trip!!!! CBR
    Aug 2011--POFQ
    Jan. 2013--POR
    Jan. 2014--I think this is becoming a tradition!! POR
    Jan 2018--All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I've been giving this a lot of thought and I think I can whittle the price down quite a bit.

A new Disney credit card with bonus and points will add up over the next many months. Plus other perks will add up.

If I can scrounge enough points for flights, no rental car and Disney credits, I might get the cost lower by $600.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty awesome if you can save $600.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: