Quantcast No More Monorail Extra Magic Hours - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wdwdriver and everyone for the feedback hopefully this is just a rumor.
    Thanks,
    alliekat
    4/1985,10/1997,6/2000,7/2002-off site 7/2003-AS Music
    7/2005,2/2006,8/2007-POR
    2/08-AS Movies
    7/08,2/09,8/09,3/10-Pop Century
    11/10,8/11,8/12,11/12, 3/13,8/13 AS Sports
    Next trip???
    "It all started with a mouse"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedMuggy View Post
    I guess if Disney gets cancellations dueto the cuts they may take another look at it.
    Not this
    Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedMuggy
    If everyone continues to book they may just not see the need.
    This

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry but I really don't think this is a minor inconvenience for those who are staying at a deluxe resort, even those who stay at the Contemporary. The EMH nights at MK are EXACTLY the time you want to take the monorail back to your resort or the TTC. You are beat. You don't want to stand in very long lines for a bus or boat after such a long day, and you're already paying for the monorail convenience. And it may be just a couple of theme park nights, but my vacations aren't that long. Also, we were far from being the only ones on the monorail on EMH nights.

Someone also please explain to me exactly how stopping monorail service two to three hours earlier has anything to do with maintenance and safety. Unless there are obscure OSHA laws I'm not aware of, I'd bet the backyard that it's a labor cost-cutting measure.

I do feel sorry for the folks affected by this who booked at a monorail resort. Depending on how long the change is in effect, this ABSOLUTELY will affect where we stay in the future (although it won't affect Disney's bottom line because we're DVC members).
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

This just seems a way to discourage attendance at evening EMH at MK and Epcot. Could this be the ulterior motive? I would not be happy paying extra money for a deluxe room with monorail transportation only to come and find out that the monorail will stop working 1 hour after the regular hours. Like someone else said I won't let it ruin my vacation, but I'm disappointed with the decision. A little magic gone.
    Kathy

Contemporary - 8/79
    Hotel Royal Plaza - 6/83
    Contemporary- 7/85
    Grand Floridian - 6/93
    Shades of Green - 9/99
    Contemporary - 9/03
    Shades of Green - 12/06
    Shades of Green - 5/07
    Shades of Green - 7/10
    Shades of Green - 7/11
    Next Trip??? Not soon enough!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have read about and seen first hand some of the disruptions in monorail service. My last trip there were 2 breakdowns on the Epcot line. I was taking a bus and saw a train in the middle of the line dark and going nowhere.

Ultimately I think it is about money, but I think they do need more time for maintenance of the trains and the line. It is probably getting harder to keep this aging system running for so many hours with not a lot of down time.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

We stay at the WL most of the time so the monorail has no effect on us. We personally love the boat back after a long day at the MK. It is so relaxing and being out on the water is always nice. Even after a EMH at EPCOT the bus isn't that bad.

But then again I have never had the opportunity to sit on a monorail and go right back to my resort. it does sound nice but I can't see spending the extra $$$$ just for the monorail.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

Someone also please explain to me exactly how stopping monorail service two to three hours earlier has anything to do with maintenance and safety. Unless there are obscure OSHA laws I'm not aware of, I'd bet the backyard that it's a labor cost-cutting measure.
    The current monorail trains are about 20 years old and are facing serious maintenance issues. There have been a series of embarrassing incidents recently involving stalled trains.

The following is a quote from the Orlando Sentinel:

"Because of "Extra Magic Hours" — a key perk that Disney has used to drive occupancy in its roughly two-dozen hotels — the Magic Kingdom will on some nights not close until 3 a.m. and will then reopen again at 7 a.m. Disney says it takes 90 minutes for its monorail trains to cycle down at the end of the night and another 90 minutes to restart at the beginning of the day. The result: As little as one hour of downtime for the trains."

You just can't get much scheduled maintenance done in an hour, or even several hours.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

To me what would make the most sense here would be to cycle the trains out. Rather than having them all run for the EMH cut it down to half and do the maintenance on them then switch to the other half. This way guests are happy and the repairs get done that need to be done. Really though WDW needs to step up and invest in more monorail trains and lay tracks to most of the resort IMO.
    Last edited by Ian; 07-12-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: TOS
    Disney nut since 81 and DVC member since 05

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    The current monorail trains are about 20 years old and are facing serious maintenance issues. There have been a series of embarrassing incidents recently involving stalled trains.

The following is a quote from the Orlando Sentinel:

"Because of "Extra Magic Hours" — a key perk that Disney has used to drive occupancy in its roughly two-dozen hotels — the Magic Kingdom will on some nights not close until 3 a.m. and will then reopen again at 7 a.m. Disney says it takes 90 minutes for its monorail trains to cycle down at the end of the night and another 90 minutes to restart at the beginning of the day. The result: As little as one hour of downtime for the trains."

You just can't get much scheduled maintenance done in an hour, or even several hours.
    Ron, that makes sense; however, extremely late EMH (closing at 2 or 3 a.m.) at MK happens only twice a week, and 7 a.m. openings are non-existent, but I suppose what they mean is the trains begin running again at 7 a.m.

If what you're saying is true -- that there are too few hours during the night for scheduled routine maintenance -- then this affects visitors only on the most crowded park days of the year, exactly when you would want the trains to be running. It also would explain why it's seen to be a temporary measure -- monorail EMH service would be expected to return when parks close earlier.

So the larger problem seems to be holding out the carrot of more park hours for resort guests while taking away the best transportation option.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling that they will be doing maintenance on the tracks. I'll be down there in a few weeks, and won't be surprised to see heavy equipment removing and replacing sections of the rails or replacing moving parts on some of the switches.

If they were only doing maintenance on the monorail cars, I would expect them to take one or two out of service at a time, with relatively minor impact to service. I would be surprised if they had the staff and capability to work on all of the monorail cars at the same time.
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Heard from a little birdy I know that, " ... a proposal for a major overhaul of the WDW monorail system (including a new fleet of trains) is being discussed ... "

Seems like there are just some signficant maintenance issues hounding the system, which is probably the root cause of all the downtime we've all experienced lately.

Sounds like the new trains is a long shot, though. That apparently was the recommendation of WDI, but odds are TDO won't want to invest the dollars there. Look for some beamway and power system upgrades, though. Could result in some significant offline time for the monorail, but that's just me speculating ... didn't hear that from anyone with any knowledge. For all I know they could do it all off-hours.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Heard from a little birdy I know that, " ... a proposal for a major overhaul of the WDW monorail system (including a new fleet of trains) is being discussed ... "

Seems like there are just some signficant maintenance issues hounding the system, which is probably the root cause of all the downtime we've all experienced lately.

Sounds like the new trains is a long shot, though. That apparently was the recommendation of WDI, but odds are TDO won't want to invest the dollars there. Look for some beamway and power system upgrades, though. Could result in some significant offline time for the monorail, but that's just me speculating ... didn't hear that from anyone with any knowledge. For all I know they could do it all off-hours.
    I'm all for the tracks being fixed/upgraded, but I also wish they'd upgrade trains and add tracks as well. Maybe they don't want to buy all the trains at once, fine buy one per month. It's not like WDW doesn't make the money to cover it, it's that the big wigs don't want the profit taken from their pockets.
    Disney nut since 81 and DVC member since 05

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned...stayed at SoG, so we used Monorail, by walking to Poly, or by using the SoG TTC bus...at the TTC, the EPCOT buses were parking in front of the SoG and DHS buses...and there was a very active CM on the walkway, directing EPCOT passangers toward the buses. Say no impact
    As a long time aircrew member, I fully understand preventive maintenance...and I know that the three main factors driving this action, the extended hours for EMH, the temporary out of service periods of the two crash trains, and the age of the fleet, all contributed to what I believe was a prudent decision. I do not believe that this was a financial decision, but instead was a wise and timely safety decision.

By the way, on two of the nights we were there, the closing for MK was an hour later than posted just last month...
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommad View Post
    I'm all for the tracks being fixed/upgraded, but I also wish they'd upgrade trains and add tracks as well. Maybe they don't want to buy all the trains at once, fine buy one per month. It's not like WDW doesn't make the money to cover it, it's that the big wigs don't want the profit taken from their pockets.
    WDW doesn't live paycheck to paycheck. There wouldn't be much incentive to buy the monorails one at a time. Bombardier would likely provide a significant financial incentive to produce an entire fleet of trains rather than one offs.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a real revenue number you could put on a new fleet of trains. I would consider a trip just to see them in person quite frankly. It wouldn't be the only reason, but it would be something to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this is just temporary. I have late ADRs booked for Ohana in Dec. when MK is scheduled to close at 7pm. Not sure how i would get back to MK to get my bus back to Beach Club. Will they have busses running back to MK from the resorts? Is the Poly within walking distance to MK or the TTC monorail? I would guess that it may be running if Epcot is open until 9pm.
    I will have the same situation with the Grand Floridian. We have an Adr scheduled at 1900 Parkfare after MK closes too.
    Kayla
    January 2008 POP
    December 2011 Beach Club for 2 weeks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The TTC is a short walk from the Poly. You can walk through the Poly over to the Grand as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaylamag View Post
    Is the Poly within walking distance to MK or the TTC monorail?
    The walk from The Poly to the TTC is about 1/4 mile.

The walk from The Poly to MK is about 1.5 miles, and, despite what others may say, is easy and possible.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    The walk from The Poly to MK is about 1.5 miles, and, despite what others may say, is easy and possible.
    You're talking about going by the Contemporary for the trip from the Poly to MK right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    Just returned...stayed at SoG, so we used Monorail, by walking to Poly, or by using the SoG TTC bus...at the TTC, the EPCOT buses were parking in front of the SoG and DHS buses...and there was a very active CM on the walkway, directing EPCOT passangers toward the buses. Say no impact
    As a long time aircrew member, I fully understand preventive maintenance...and I know that the three main factors driving this action, the extended hours for EMH, the temporary out of service periods of the two crash trains, and the age of the fleet, all contributed to what I believe was a prudent decision. I do not believe that this was a financial decision, but instead was a wise and timely safety decision.

By the way, on two of the nights we were there, the closing for MK was an hour later than posted just last month...
    SOG was the thing I was thinking of. That's probably the only resort I'll ever stay at that requires use of the Monorail--for those that don't know, their MK/EPCOT transportation ONLY takes you to TTC. I wonder if SOG will consider sending the bus to the actual parks during the EMH. The Monorails tended to be kind of crowded sometimes after an EPCOT EMH closing, hate to think what the busses would be like.
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going in about a month to wdw and I am going to ask a cm about this and see what they say.
    4/1985,10/1997,6/2000,7/2002-off site 7/2003-AS Music
    7/2005,2/2006,8/2007-POR
    2/08-AS Movies
    7/08,2/09,8/09,3/10-Pop Century
    11/10,8/11,8/12,11/12, 3/13,8/13 AS Sports
    Next trip???
    "It all started with a mouse"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: