Quantcast Another question--Universal to DTD?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another question--Universal to DTD?

So we're booked for Universal!

Just kicking this around--we have 3 full days at Universal coming up, but only 2 days of tickets. Was thinking about hanging around hotel & CityWalk on first day but not sure there will be a ton for DD, 9, to do. How far is DTD from Universal (we're staying onsite)? How much do you think that would cost in taxi fare? Worth it, or no?

Thanks, you guys are so awesome!!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

$30-$40 each way. Lots of $$$ for a trip to DTD. Although we are going in the opposite direction for a morning at Harry potter...and consider it well worth the $$$$.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

We normally spend around $20 one way just to travel on Disney property in a taxi. Traveling from Universal is going to cost a good bit more each way. Way too much money for DTD I think. A day spent at the resort pool and City Walk would be fun. I know my boys, ages 9 and 11, can spend half days at a resort pool easily without getting bored. You could also maybe check out the other Universal resorts.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    $30-$40 each way. Lots of $$$ for a trip to DTD. Although we are going in the opposite direction for a morning at Harry potter...and consider it well worth the $$$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We normally spend around $20 one way just to travel on Disney property in a taxi. Traveling from Universal is going to cost a good bit more each way. Way too much money for DTD I think. A day spent at the resort pool and City Walk would be fun. I know my boys, ages 9 and 11, can spend half days at a resort pool easily without getting bored. You could also maybe check out the other Universal resorts.
    Yeah, that's way too much, I think. Oh, well, it was just a thought! Think we'll spend the first day hanging out at our resort, and like you said, perhaps explore the other 2 as well.
    Thanks!
    Christi

Post Thanks / Like

If you are that concerned about having something to do, you could always buy another day's ticket. However, I really think you will not be bored. I wanted an extra day to do the exploring we did not get a chance to do since we spent everyday at the parks.

You haven't said which resort, but at HRH, there were plenty of pool games for the kids. Hula hoop and dance contests, scavenger hunts, ping pong table, pool table, and other games around the pool. I think exploring the other resorts is a good idea too. You could ride the boats to the different hotels.

You asked earlier about pool hopping. I did not see anything advertised that it was allowed. In fact, I think there was a sign on the gate at HRH pool that it was for HRH guests only.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

The hotels are fun to explore, and I definitely remember there being activities for kids scheduled at both the Hard Rock and Royal Pacific resorts. I haven't stayed at Portofino Bay, but I imagine the same goes here.

The pools are also great (at Hard Rock you can hear music underwater; at Royal Pacific there's a plane in the pool!).

The restaurants on CityWalk are fun, and it's fun to explore. There's also a movie theater with some good movie and dinner deals.

Previous posters are correct - it's a pretty penny to DTD via cab or towncar. There ARE however some shared rides via Mears that can be less expensive. In the past, we've only done this from a Disney resort to Universal and back.

It would probably be worth calling Mears to see what the price would be if they offer a reverse trip. When we did it, we were able to chose from 7, 8, 9 or 10am ride to sign up for and they sent a van to pick us up at our Disney resort and we stopped at another resort or two before heading to Universal. One time, there was no one else signed up from other resorts, so we went straight there. I think back then, it was something like $16 or $17 per person. Could be worth checking out!

If not, I think time at the resort would be fun and relaxing as well
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see spending time or money to go to DTD while you are staying at Universal. If you are getting in early the first day I would buy admission for three days. There is plenty to do between both parks and you may want to do some attractions more than once. The CG & JP areas can keep kids busy for hours if you let them stay there that long.

If you aren't getting a third ticket because of the time you are arriving you can spend a few hours walking around City Walk, having a meal,and going into the shops. Many of the restaurants have shops attached plus there are a few more shops that are not related to a restaurant. The hotels have very nice pools that stay opened and certain nights are movie nights or have live bands playing.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    If you are that concerned about having something to do, you could always buy another day's ticket. However, I really think you will not be bored. I wanted an extra day to do the exploring we did not get a chance to do since we spent everyday at the parks.

You haven't said which resort, but at HRH, there were plenty of pool games for the kids. Hula hoop and dance contests, scavenger hunts, ping pong table, pool table, and other games around the pool. I think exploring the other resorts is a good idea too. You could ride the boats to the different hotels.

You asked earlier about pool hopping. I did not see anything advertised that it was allowed. In fact, I think there was a sign on the gate at HRH pool that it was for HRH guests only.
    Thanks. I know we could buy another day's ticket, but I think 2 days will be plenty. I'm just worried because I don't do "down time" that well LOL Think we'll just take the first day to hang out, explore, swim, etc., so we can be ready & raring to go on day 2!

I don't remember where I saw the pool hopping post, surely on another discussion board somewhere. No worries...
    Christi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    The hotels are fun to explore, and I definitely remember there being activities for kids scheduled at both the Hard Rock and Royal Pacific resorts. I haven't stayed at Portofino Bay, but I imagine the same goes here.

The pools are also great (at Hard Rock you can hear music underwater; at Royal Pacific there's a plane in the pool!).

The restaurants on CityWalk are fun, and it's fun to explore. There's also a movie theater with some good movie and dinner deals.

Previous posters are correct - it's a pretty penny to DTD via cab or towncar. There ARE however some shared rides via Mears that can be less expensive. In the past, we've only done this from a Disney resort to Universal and back.

It would probably be worth calling Mears to see what the price would be if they offer a reverse trip. When we did it, we were able to chose from 7, 8, 9 or 10am ride to sign up for and they sent a van to pick us up at our Disney resort and we stopped at another resort or two before heading to Universal. One time, there was no one else signed up from other resorts, so we went straight there. I think back then, it was something like $16 or $17 per person. Could be worth checking out!

If not, I think time at the resort would be fun and relaxing as well
    Thanks, as I already mentioned, I just don't do downtime that well, and thought if I had DTD as a backup we'd be set. But the price is too much, and I didn't want to have to plan a spontaneous trip to DTD, you know? Think we'll just hang.

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I can't see spending time or money to go to DTD while you are staying at Universal. If you are getting in early the first day I would buy admission for three days. There is plenty to do between both parks and you may want to do some attractions more than once. The CG & JP areas can keep kids busy for hours if you let them stay there that long.

If you aren't getting a third ticket because of the time you are arriving you can spend a few hours walking around City Walk, having a meal,and going into the shops. Many of the restaurants have shops attached plus there are a few more shops that are not related to a restaurant. The hotels have very nice pools that stay opened and certain nights are movie nights or have live bands playing.
    We're arriving in the morning, so theoretically we could get a third ticket. IF I rack up enough points on my credit card between now & then for another ticket, that's what we'll do. Off to go shopping now LOL
    Christi

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: