Quantcast GF or Poly for Toddlers

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default GF or Poly for Toddlers

Which hotel is better for 1.5 yrs and 3.5 yrs. Particularly wondering about pool slides (to ride with parent) and other pool-area entertainment. Do they have playgrounds?

Anything else that distinguishes the two hotels for kids first trip and ease with little ones?

thanks!
    liz

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My preference with toddlers would be the GF. There is a whole lot less foot traffic around their pool areas...both the slide pool and the large quiet type pool that sits in the center of the out-building complex. (Everyone who visits the poly seems to like to walk by/through the pool area) The pools at the GF are much less chaotic.

I would save the poly (and the admittedly super fun volcano pool) for a time when the kids were a little bit older and both were able to appreciate the theming and were a little better equipped to deal with "poly pool chaos."
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed at the GF (but I really want to), just the Poly, so my advice is a little biased. I'd recommend the Poly for its transportation options. To visit the MK, just walk on the monorail with your stroller. To visit EPCOT, just walk over to the TTC and roll on the EPCOT monorail. You don't even need to get on the resort monorail to get to the TTC, as it's right there.

The rooms at the Poly are bigger, especially in Tokelau, which are the largest non-suite (or non-villa) rooms on property.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekatz View Post
    Particularly wondering about pool slides (to ride with parent) and other pool-area entertainment.
    You can't ride down the pool slides with a toddler - it's not allowed for safety reasons. Only children old enough to swim by themselves are allowed to go on the slides. And no tandem sliding.

The Polynesian is a lot more kid friendly, IMO, but I also think the parents should decide where THEY want to go. Your toddlers won't remember this trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks for the advice..

particularly regarding the slide..that makes a big difference knowing that kids have to ride alone.
    thanks!
    liz

Post Thanks / Like

My boss recommends the GF for a toddler trip. He liked the dining options, and the atmosphere of the resort which was a short trip away from the MK!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Default ground floor

Either resort is fantastic. Request a ground floor so your toddlers can be turned loose and expand your living space. They'll likely encounter ducks, lizards and other cool stuff as you watch them in the yard sipping your favorite beverage.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed at GF but have seen the rooms. I would definitely stay at the Poly (my absolute favorite). The rooms are twice the size as the GF. I stay at the Poly about 8 times and love it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    I've never stayed at GF but have seen the rooms. I would definitely stay at the Poly (my absolute favorite). The rooms are twice the size as the GF. I stay at the Poly about 8 times and love it!!!!
    Not to be argumentative, but I just don't recall the rooms at the Poly being all that much larger...maybe a little bigger, but no so much so that it made any noticeable difference to us during our stay.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

According to another website, the Polynesian Resort has some of the largest hotel rooms in Walt Disney World. Standard rooms are around 410 square feet, with 476 square feet rooms located in the Tokelau, Rapa Nui and Tahita longhouse buildings. We stayed in the concierge building a few times as well as in Tokelau. Was pleasantly surprised at how very large the rooms were.
    Last edited by Hammer; 08-16-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: removed reference to other fan site

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I was not a fan of the grand Floridian as a child overall. I was A toddler when the resort opened, stayed there too many times to count, and have stayed there recently with toddlers as well. The atmosphere and overall experience just weren't Disney enough for me then and still aren't now. I do enjoy eating in the restaurants and spending time at the spa.

My nieces and nephews cannot get enough of the poly pool, movies on the beach at night and breakfast at ohanas and captain cooks.
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebritney View Post
    Personally I was not a fan of the grand Floridian as a child overall. I was A toddler when the resort opened, stayed there too many times to count, and have stayed there recently with toddlers as well. The atmosphere and overall experience just weren't Disney enough for me then and still aren't now. I do enjoy eating in the restaurants and spending time at the spa.

My nieces and nephews cannot get enough of the poly pool, movies on the beach at night and breakfast at ohanas and captain cooks.
    The children that I've been with to WDW felt the opposite . They loved the GF pools and resort, but were only "ehh" about the Polynesian. It really depends on the child.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up at the Poly! My dad worked there when it all opened in 1971. I also LOVE GF! I spent the NYE Millenium there with my entire family (before kids!). My sister and I are in a constant debate about which we really enjoy more..

I now have 2 kids - ages 4 and 6. They've sent time at both pools. They really enjoyed both quite a lot. As someone said, it depends on the kid...and the kid depends on the parent!

I agree with the Poly "chaos" comment - it is busy. There isn't a ton of room to walk around. The volcano rocks but... the kids are prob too young really appreciate it anyway.

At GF, we found even the regular pool (vs the quiet one) to be a little more calm. The slide is great. They have the water fountains coming out of the ground which my kids love (not sure if they have this at Poly or not)... and, they even had life preservers for our kids to use (long story why we didn't have our arm "Swimmies" with us.) We even rented a cabana for extra shade and napping capability and... let me tell you, we LOVED it!! Totally worth the money if you ask me (don't remember exactly how much - think about 100 for the day). They brough DVDs for the kids to watch during lunch, had a small fridge, room service, SHADE!, etc. I am sure they have the cabana option at the Poly too.

So... my final rec would be go where YOU will be most comfy b/c then your kids will be most comfy.

If I had to pick where I woud be most comfy with small toddlers, I would choose GF. Less noise, less chaos, more space, more peace!

ENJOY!!
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks for all the insights and tips everyone!

all of this is SO helpful. we are staying at the GF because we figure the kids won't remember the details from this age, so the grown-ups can enjoy the slightly more upscale feel this trip and we will take them to a more themed resort next time.

thanks for all the insights and tips
    Annually April '78-'90 - CR, Polynesian, Golf Hotel & Lake Buena Vista Towers.

April '92 Treehouse

April '93 PORFQ

August '97 GF

Planning November '11 - TBD!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: