Quantcast I have a sick child

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have a sick child

The doctor thinks it might be strep or a bacterial something. He put her on an antibiotic without the strep test. I would rather know if it is so that I can expect her to fell better soon and tell her that. She is also VERY nausious(sp?). I am hoping that the medicine had a chance to work before it came back up.

It looks more like the flu but I don't think it is going around now. Has anyone heard of other flu like cases or anyone with strep that has also had this severe nausea?

Sorry to be graphic!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand how he can not do a strep test and say it could be strep. Ugh. Was your child naseous while at the dr? What did he say that was? Does her throat really bother her? If you feel like she is getting worst take her to the ER. Does she have any other symptoms? Hope she feels better soon!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

One word of warning, but first: I hope your child feels better soon. She should, if it is strep. I can't believe the doctor did not do a strep throat swab, either, but c'est la vie.

Now for the word of warning. Warning: Science content! Flip to the next thread if you are easily bored. Whether or not you hear back from the doctor, continue to give the anti-biotic exactly as prescribed until it is gone or your doctor says stop. Don't stop because your daughter feels better. The only way any bacteria is completely eradicated is to ensure you get the proper amount of drugs. Stopping anti-biotics after four or five days, only strengthens the bacteria, making it harder to kill and helping it become resistant to that specific anti-biotic.

Feel better soon!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also surprised they did not do a strep test.
    If she wasn't nauseaus before taking the antibiotic it could be making her sick. My daughter had to eat a piece of bread whenever she took anitbiotics or she couldn't keep them down.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly it doesn't really matter whether or not they test for strep throat. If your child has a throat that is sore and exuding pus, like strep and other throat infections do, then they are going to be treated with antibiotics whether it is strep or not and they get treated with the same antibiotics. It is often an unnecessary test because whether or not a sore throat is treated with antibiotics is usually based on the symptoms and appearance of the throat. And yes, it is common for children who have strep throat to experience abdominal pain and nausea. Sometimes those are actually the only outward symptoms. The important thing is to completely finish the antibiotics, even if your child begins to feel better.
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggeRia View Post
    Honestly it doesn't really matter whether or not they test for strep throat. If your child has a throat that is sore and exuding pus, like strep and other throat infections do, then they are going to be treated with antibiotics whether it is strep or not and they get treated with the same antibiotics. It is often an unnecessary test because whether or not a sore throat is treated with antibiotics is usually based on the symptoms and appearance of the throat. And yes, it is common for children who have strep throat to experience abdominal pain and nausea. Sometimes those are actually the only outward symptoms. The important thing is to completely finish the antibiotics, even if your child begins to feel better.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after a rough night she is feeling a bit better and is able to sleep.
    Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear she is feeling better.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Strep throat is pretty easy to spot. I had it a few years ago and I felt nauseous too. I'm sensitive with a lot of medications so I usually have toast, yogurt, or crackers before I take something. That should help and drinking a lot of water with it. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

It was deffinatly strep. Within the first 24 of meds she was getting better and the next day was significantly better. Now I just have to remind her finish her meds.

Love the wonders of modern medicine.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: