Quantcast Survivor: South Pacific (Season 23) - Page 8

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    One World looks promising. When they were preveiwing it though, I couldn't help but think there had been another season where the two tribes lived together. Am I dreaming?
    Mel, I think you're thinking of one season (maybe Thailand?) where when the reached the normal 10 people for a merge, Jeff said they were going to live together. Everyone took that as they were merged and somebody immediately switched alliances to the other tribe, giving them the numbers if they were merged. Then in a twist at the immunity challenge Jeff said that he never said "merged" and they competed as tribes. I think that person was the very next one voted out.

I do miss those types of twists and turns in the game. I liked how they'd take a few and have them switch tribes sometimes too. Just gotten too predictable. Maybe One World will bring back some of the twists.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Survivor has been the only network primetime show I've watched regularly since Seinfeld. They are starting to lose me. They need to do something major to make this entertaining again. One thing I think they should try is to just have one tribe from the start. Maybe go back to separate reward and immunity challenges again, make them individual and let the winner pick a number of others to join in both (with the number diminishing as the season progresses.)
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post
    Mel, I think you're thinking of one season (maybe Thailand?) where when the reached the normal 10 people for a merge, Jeff said they were going to live together. Everyone took that as they were merged and somebody immediately switched alliances to the other tribe, giving them the numbers if they were merged. Then in a twist at the immunity challenge Jeff said that he never said "merged" and they competed as tribes.
    Correct, it was the Thailand season. The Survivor that ended up with egg on her face was ShiAnn. She was basically an outcast on her existing tribe and then when Jeff said they'd be living together on the same beach she (as well as others) simply assumed they were merged. She immediately started talking to the other tribe, acting like she was going to flip and be THE big deal. Then at immunity challenge Jeff informs them that they are still competing as individual tribes and are not merged. ShiAnn practically passed out on hearing this. She was booted the next time her tribe lost, which might have been that challenge, can't remember.

She was brought back for the first all-star season and made it to the jury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Survivor has been the only network primetime show I've watched regularly since Seinfeld. They are starting to lose me. They need to do something major to make this entertaining again. One thing I think they should try is to just have one tribe from the start. Maybe go back to separate reward and immunity challenges again, make them individual and let the winner pick a number of others to join in both (with the number diminishing as the season progresses.)

There is speculation that the reason why individual reward challenges were eliminated (or combined with immunity challenges) was to make room for the necessary footage from Redemption Island challenges. Everything that I've read to date is that Redemption Island is gone, so hopefully this will bring back the individual reward challenges as well.

They sort of did the one tribe thing, was it Palau? Everyone got on the beach, first man/woman to reach the beach or the right area got immunity necklaces. Then they basically just lived there for 2 or 3 days then Jeff came out and had them do school yard picks for teams with the odd man/woman left out sent home right away.

The only problem with one tribe is, do you play for individual immunity all they way thru? Or do you still somehow pair up (like they used to do for reward challenges) and somehow get a group immunity.

I liked it better when they used to mix the tribes up after 4 or 5 tribal councils. First season they did this was Africa and it had a huge impact. It certainly can eliminate one tribes a/o individuals dominance.

Sometimes you need to just go back to the basics. I don't think they need all these gimmicks, just cast people that have actually seen the show and understand it, instead of all these reality show wannabees. Just like Amazing Race, the first seasons seemed so much better as you could related to teams so much better, they could have been your neighbors. Now, all these shows are so heavily recruited that you get people (like grant/phillip/natalie) that have no clue how to play and it makes it easy for one person to dominate.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think they should go back to Suvivor day one ... the stripped down, simpler show they had in the beginning where it was much more about the personal interactions and a lot less about the gimmicks.

I also think one thing that's hurt the show is the switch from taking true "people off the street" to recruiting specific people to fill "roles." It just became a lot more forced and scripted feeling and really not at all the vibe that got me hooked on the show in the first place.

The same thing happened to Big Brother. It started out being a very compelling show where they put a 12 strangers in a house and monitored their every move. It ended up being some sort of "America's Next Top Model" kind of show with all these show-biz wannabes prancing around in as little clothing as possible and having showmances and bromances and all this silliness. I stopped watching BB years ago because it became the Real World of network television.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I finally watched the last four shows last night and wow! That was a disappointing ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think they should go back to Suvivor day one ... the stripped down, simpler show they had in the beginning where it was much more about the personal interactions and a lot less about the gimmicks.
    I just came on here to post the same exact thing, that I think they should go back to some of the more rudimentary elements of the early seasons. As far as "One World", I just hope it doesn't include Redemption Island. And any more Hantz's.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I finally watched the last four shows last night and wow! That was a disappointing ending!

I just came on here to post the same exact thing, that I think they should go back to some of the more rudimentary elements of the early seasons. As far as "One World", I just hope it doesn't include Redemption Island. And any more Hantz's.
    Yes, I think that's the one thing we've all said through the past three seasons, that we want it back to basics. I hope they figure it out eventually. The gimmicks were fun for a while, but let's try it old school.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I also think one thing that's hurt the show is the switch from taking true "people off the street" to recruiting specific people to fill "roles." It just became a lot more forced and scripted feeling and really not at all the vibe that got me hooked on the show in the first place.

The same thing happened to Big Brother. It started out being a very compelling show where they put a 12 strangers in a house and monitored their every move. It ended up being some sort of "America's Next Top Model" kind of show with all these show-biz wannabes prancing around in as little clothing as possible and having showmances and bromances and all this silliness. I stopped watching BB years ago because it became the Real World of network television.
    I'm with you 600%, brother! I'm sick of all the gimmicks, especially bringing back previous losers so they can lose again and all the nonsense like Redemption Island. Bring in all new contestants, and when they're voted out, they're OUT - - Adios, Auf Weidersein, Don't let the door...you know. Of course, they'll still need to keep the jury.

Jeff P also needs to get some new writers. "I'll go tally the votes".... "Head back to camp...I've got nothing for you".... "Want to know what you're playing for?" are all getting pretty old and predictable.

I, too, gave up on BB years ago.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Now see, I don't mind the rote script that much because to me it's part of the appeal of the show. I like the ritual and the repetition of the phrases ... it brings a consistency from season to season and I also think it's kinda cool that the contestants in season 22 (or wherever we are now) hear the exact same warnings, direction, etc. that they did on season 1. It preserves the history of the show, IMO.

But yeah as far as the other gimmicks go, I'd toss 'em all overboard. ESPECIALLY Redemption Island. It's bad enough they have it in the first place, but I think it's really silly that they basically do it twice! One person gets back in at the merge and then they go right back to sending people to RI! That's so dumb. It should be a one-time thing ... either you go to RI until the merge and from there you go straight to the jury or no one comes back in at the merge and you ride it out until the final five or whenever they decide it ends.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Now see, I don't mind the rote script that much because to me it's part of the appeal of the show. I like the ritual and the repetition of the phrases ... it brings a consistency from season to season and I also think it's kinda cool that the contestants in season 22 (or wherever we are now) hear the exact same warnings, direction, etc. that they did on season 1. It preserves the history of the show, IMO.

But yeah as far as the other gimmicks go, I'd toss 'em all overboard. ESPECIALLY Redemption Island. It's bad enough they have it in the first place, but I think it's really silly that they basically do it twice! One person gets back in at the merge and then they go right back to sending people to RI! That's so dumb. It should be a one-time thing ... either you go to RI until the merge and from there you go straight to the jury or no one comes back in at the merge and you ride it out until the final five or whenever they decide it ends.

I agree, it would really be strange to not hear "the tribe has spoken" or "xxxx Wins Immunity!!" as hands are raised or "weclome to Survivor" or "this challenge is officially on". To me that's history. It would be like turning on the new season of Amazing Race and hearing Phil say, "On your marks, get set, go!" I'd probably turn the tv off and not watch the season if I didn't get to hear "the world is waiting, travel safe, go!" to start each season.

As far as gimmicks, the only one that I don't mind is hidden immunity, IF its done right. Other gimmicks like Exile, Redemption, returning players, Outcasts, tribal distinctions by age/gender/race or themed seasons like FvF or HvV, I can all pretty much do without. I'm not sure if this would be considered a gimmick or not, but the one thing I wouldn't mind being brought back is the tribal switches that used to be done premerge. I still remember that happening in the Africa season the first time they did it, and it was like Wow! (Silas getting totally burned).

I think if they cast it right, instead of recruiting who they think we want to see, then gimmicks are not needed. The best seasons of Race and Survivor were when the casting was the best, not the gimmicks.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: