Quantcast Just got back from free dining

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Just got back from free dining

I will start this off by saying, WOW what a difference in food/quality/service when free dining is offered. We always get the dining package and truly enjoy it however free dining changed that for us on this trip.

9/10 Tusker House Breakfast- this was really good! This was our first time there and we were very happy with the service and the food! We liked this breakfast better than Crystal Palace!
    CS- Flame Tree BBQ- it was about the same as usual. Good food however the pork sandwich was a little greasy.

9/11- Wolfgang Pucks Dinner- We were very excited to eat here given all the great reviews but I must say the food was horrible and the waiter was rude and snooty! I tried the #1 seller, macadamia nut crusted chicken breast and was very disappointed. It tasted like a greasy piece of fried chicken! The risotto was good though. I ordered the cheesecake for dessert and it was full of egg shells! This is a Never do again for us!

CS- Peco's Bill Lunch- Again just another normal meal here. The resturant was not crowded and there was no CM directing traffic. You could sit and wait while someone else ordered food.

9/12-Whispering Canyon- This is one of our favorite restaurants! I saw our favorite waitress was working and immediately requested to be seated in her section. She was great as usual, however the food was only sub par. We ordered the bottomless pit of bbq and the ribs were very fatty and the bbq pork was extremely dry. I was surprised at the quality of the food here. Like I said free dining is apparently an entirely different experience!

CS- Pizza Planet- Good food, long waits, no tables available but still a must for us!

9/13-Ohana's- Our most favorite restaurant was a major disappointment! The waitress was beyond awful! I had to ask three times for a refill of water. She would come to the table look at us and walk off. I would have to stop her and ask for drink refills! The food was really not all the great either. Same menu but again quality was bad. I had to ask for them to bring steak and shrimp out because they kept skipping over our table. The bread pudding was probably the best part of the meal. If this had been my first time to Ohana's I probably would not return since it was such a bad experience.

CS- Pinocchio Village Haus- this was our first time here and we really enjoyed it! The food and atmosphere were great!

9/14- Le Cellier Lunch- This was a good experience. The food was good and the server, Victoria was great. It was our first time eating here and while it was good food I don't understand what all the hype is about this place? To me it was no different than eating at outback steakhouse.

CS Electric Umbrella- Just another normal day here as well.

9/15- Mama Melrose- Oh poor Mama's! We booked a fantasmic package and apparently so did everyone else at HS that day. When you went to check in for a reservation you were told we are running behind about 20-30 minutes but just wait somewhere around here and we will call you when we are ready. There were people jammed in the lobby, sitting everywhere outside and even in the muppet store across the street! People were complaining and canceling their reservations because of starvation and being tired of waiting to be seated. It was complete madness! Once we finally got our table the food was great but our server, Don, was not! I should have known that when I saw the couple next to me waiting 25 minutes just to order a dessert! This waiter was never around and I had to keep asking other waiters for bread/ butter/refills etc. Towards the end of our meal another couple was seated across from us. They sat there for at least 15-20 minutes before Don showed up to ask them for drink orders! I told them good luck and to be sure to ask Don to bring out the free bread! LOL What a crazy experience this was! Again had this been our first time there we would never go back. I told the newlyweds next to us that its usually not like this since they thought it was to be expected because it was Disney!

CS- Port Orleans Riverside- Good food

9/16- Coral Reef Dinner- We were surprised with this restaurant! We have read tons of negative reviews and with the bad experiences all week we thought for sure this was going to be a bust. BUT it was actually really good! I ordered the mahi mahi (again the best seller) and it was delicious! DH had the steak and it was really good too! The service was great as well. I was surprised how loud it was in here for such a small place but that didn't bother us. I think we will try this place again next year!

CS- The Chinese place and the name slips my mind. The food was ok, we were all starving a few hours later so it wasn't very filling.

9/17- Cape May Cafe dinner- We actually skipped this meal because the MK was so crowded we didn't want to leave the park! We really wanted to try it but there's always next year right?

CS- Columbia Harbor House- this was our first time here as well and we really liked it. Well the kids and I did but hubby wasn't too big on fast food shrimp and fish. I enjoyed the tuna sandwich though. It was a nice change from the usual chicken and burgers and fries.

CS-Cosmic Rays- Again good food and just another normal day there.

I think this will be our last trip during free dining since we had more bad experiences than good.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhapds it had more to do with your choice of ADrs than the actual concept of "free" dining. I've had it the last 2 years and loved it. We are looking forward to it again in November.

I don't think the food at Ohana, Whispering Canyon (besides breakfast) or Mama Melrose's is very good. Your reviews reinforced that for me.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry your experience was poor overall!

Thanks for your reviews!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the disappointments. Doesn't sound too bad overall, though. There was some good to counteract the bad. The dining plan, in general, has brought changes. I'm not sure the Free times make much difference or if it's just the normal up and down of restaurants. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

wow, sounds like a mix of good and bad...too bad about Ohana's I can't wait to try it and hope we get it on a good night

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I can testify to Free Dining changing restaurants. We always go to the Biergarten and during Free Dining a few years ago we could totally tell it was all scaled back and not even close to the same.

Thanks for your reviews!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought your reviews were very fair and that you did a good job of pointing out the ways free dining can impact the overall experience. Clearly many who normally stick to QS were opting for the included TS, and it is difficult for restaurants to accomodate such a huge increase in demand without sacrificing service and quality in some way or another.

We visit WDW often and have noticed that the busier the restaurants are (whether it's because of free dining or just a busy season), the more "hit or miss" the experience. I'm glad you are already looking forward to "next year" and hope that if you go during a non-free dining period, your old favorites will be restored.
    BLT, CR; OKWX2; BCX5; YCX3; Poly; PORX2; WLX4; PopX3; DolphinX3; ASX3

HGVC I-Drive, Seaworld & Parc Soleil, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Gaylord Palms, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it has anything to really do with the "free dining" more the Disney Dining Plan in general. For every person that had "Free Dining" there were 5 that didn't know there was a special and paid for it.

Yes, there are more people using the DDP during the "Free" promo period, but people still are paying for it too.

The DDP has changed things dramatically. Less menu options, quality and service of food has gone down overall.

Just my opinion...
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you can have two different experiences in a short period of time. My daughter and I ate at O'Hana's if February and the food and servcie were both excellent. My husband and I ate there in May. The food and service were both average. We had a later seating in May and I suspect that may have impacted the food quality whereas my daughter and I had an earlier seating which may have translated to fresher food without the possibility of it sitting too long and/or cooking too long.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree with you on the put down of the free dining. Not everyone that sits in that restaurant with you has free dining. Most do not even know about it and pay out of pocket some dont want it they want the room discount. So NO FREE does not ruin, it we have had it free 1 time and payed the other times during free dining. The food is all the same . Not so good most of the time. They have gone down on portions and for sure quality since our very first visit. Prices have gone up and service down. So you cannot blame it on free dining. I paid good money the last 2 years because we did not get a code for free dining and it was bad then at Ohanas, we must have had the same girl she was horrible and the meat was raw and came only one serving..Whispering the skillet is fatty all of it. so we order menu from there. You get good stuff that way. Wolfgang express is wonderful, you must have gone to the cafe as they have servers there. Columbia is good. Tuskers is NEVER a let down for breakfast always good always great service . Pinocchios and Planet are horrible or if you like frozen tasteless pizzas then you go there. Kids dont know the difference. But you cannot blame this on free dining as I can bet that less than half the restaurant is free diners. Big room discounts take place over any food and if staying off site you have to pay yourself, No dining plan for them as well period. Paying or not.Just need to let you know its not the free diners that its Disney itself not regulating service and quality of food anymore. Times have changed since our first trip in 2007 huge difference in overall the dining experience at Disney.We are getting free dining this first time in Jan 2012 Going back to our favorites. I expect less food poor service from the reports I read on here and quality has gone down. I cannot complain as I know it now. Not when I am seated and look around to see who all is getting the free dining which you will never know. Even if you pay for your plan it is connected with your keys to the world card and it changes nothing about you and your order or the service. Either you have a great wait staff or not and believe me we have more non existent ones at every place there from one time or another. having to ask other staffers to bring us something. Examples

Ohanas bad food bad service 3 times

Whispering - skillet bad food and dud of a waiter no antics

50's Prime half the size of servings on roast and staff we have gotten never cuts up and somehow never seen again .

Pizza Planet and Pinocchios just down right not good

Trails end needs to be shut down bad cold food

San Angel Inn Mush for food and not at all authentic anything

Bomas all time high of worst tasting food does not fill food containers up quick enough and servers are slow to even come at first or for refills on drinks did this 3 times for the price its a waste of good time and money and hungry right after w walk out of there. No its not just one bad time but 3.. Not worth paying 30 some odd dollars for a zebra dome
    '
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    9/14- Le Cellier Lunch- This was a good experience. The food was good and the server, Victoria was great. It was our first time eating here and while it was good food I don't understand what all the hype is about this place? To me it was no different than eating at outback steakhouse.
    I agree.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I agree.

AGREED HERE. Plus the price on that tiny piece of steak.. The more people go there the more they will go up, because they feel they are priceless. I am just thinking the ones who think its out of this world must get it on the Free plan as no one would pay that for a tiny piece of meat that when they come to out great state... They can get a huge piece of meat for around $13-15.00 tops for the large 16 ounce size plus you get 2 sides with it and its not macaroni and cheese under a steak. Its a baked potato and salad and or vegetable of choice plus all the free rolls you want that come faster than you can eat them. I know its Disney but come on.. There are far better places to eat at Disney with a smaller wallet attached to it.
    Connie
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should clarify something. I am not trying to say anything negative about free dining. Just that since its free dining more people are taking advantage of table service meals which makes the restaurants fuller and service back up. Believe me I enjoy saving a grand on our trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    I have to disagree with you on the put down of the free dining. Not everyone that sits in that restaurant with you has free dining. Most do not even know about it and pay out of pocket some dont want it they want the room discount. So NO FREE does not ruin, it we have had it free 1 time and payed the other times during free dining. The food is all the same . Not so good most of the time. They have gone down on portions and for sure quality since our very first visit. Prices have gone up and service down. So you cannot blame it on free dining. I paid good money the last 2 years because we did not get a code for free dining and it was bad then at Ohanas, we must have had the same girl she was horrible and the meat was raw and came only one serving..Whispering the skillet is fatty all of it. so we order menu from there. You get good stuff that way. Wolfgang express is wonderful, you must have gone to the cafe as they have servers there. Columbia is good. Tuskers is NEVER a let down for breakfast always good always great service . Pinocchios and Planet are horrible or if you like frozen tasteless pizzas then you go there. Kids dont know the difference. But you cannot blame this on free dining as I can bet that less than half the restaurant is free diners. Big room discounts take place over any food and if staying off site you have to pay yourself, No dining plan for them as well period. Paying or not.Just need to let you know its not the free diners that its Disney itself not regulating service and quality of food anymore. Times have changed since our first trip in 2007 huge difference in overall the dining experience at Disney.We are getting free dining this first time in Jan 2012 Going back to our favorites. I expect less food poor service from the reports I read on here and quality has gone down. I cannot complain as I know it now. Not when I am seated and look around to see who all is getting the free dining which you will never know. Even if you pay for your plan it is connected with your keys to the world card and it changes nothing about you and your order or the service. Either you have a great wait staff or not and believe me we have more non existent ones at every place there from one time or another. having to ask other staffers to bring us something. Examples

Ohanas bad food bad service 3 times

Whispering - skillet bad food and dud of a waiter no antics

50's Prime half the size of servings on roast and staff we have gotten never cuts up and somehow never seen again .

Pizza Planet and Pinocchios just down right not good

Trails end needs to be shut down bad cold food

San Angel Inn Mush for food and not at all authentic anything

Bomas all time high of worst tasting food does not fill food containers up quick enough and servers are slow to even come at first or for refills on drinks did this 3 times for the price its a waste of good time and money and hungry right after w walk out of there. No its not just one bad time but 3.. Not worth paying 30 some odd dollars for a zebra dome
    '
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I knew that with you. It is just that there are many many on the boards that all they do is dog free this discount that till you are sick of their excuses. It all boils down to one thing leads to another aned we all know that no matter free or not that quality has and did go down for quite a few years now. They are trying to save a buck just like we all except theirs show outright with the public being their customer and customers talk. There is not one thing on property that is worth the money you pay for it. BUT, we have to eat. Who really pays 10.00 for a burger ,ONLY,that is frozen angus burgers which are good in a way better than ground beef. Really.. Now on the plan wether paying or not its burger fries and drink a little value. Even if you pay for the dining plan which many do and its totally for convenience. I was so tired of counting money each day to see if we could make it till the end of the stay which was many days. This way you paid in advance and know exactly what you need extra for anything outside of foo. We even figure on our meals how much tip we need put it in an envelope and each day i take it with us for the meals that we need it for plus a couple extra dollars if we should have apps or something more or just for great great service.
    Connie
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP

Post Thanks / Like

We had Quick Service free Dining last CHRISTmas since we stayed at PoP.We paid at Whispering Canyon.Got the Skillet and it was GREAT.I had to stop from overstuffing myself it was so GREAT.The homemade BBQ sauce is out of this world.If they sold it seperately,I would have brought some home.
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    I guess I should clarify something. I am not trying to say anything negative about free dining. Just that since its free dining more people are taking advantage of table service meals which makes the restaurants fuller and service back up. Believe me I enjoy saving a grand on our trip!
    I understand where you are coming from. Many of us have been coming to Disney for many more years than they have even had any dining plans at all, free or not. The quality of the food has definitely suffered.

We ate at Ohana last night and were extremely disappointed. The menu is similar to years past, but the recipes are definitely changed, and not for the better. What happened to the lazy susan's filled with yummy food?? It's just not the same.

We are on FREE QSDP and paid out of pocket for this meal. I'm not knocking the free dining because it is a good deal. It's just sad that in the process the quality has slipped...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: