Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 13

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I'm thrilled -maybe this means now they'll add a Titanic attraction to the Hyperion Wharf re-design? Or would that be bad luck...
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    I'm a little tired of the gotcha comparisons to Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror as examples of non-Disney properties in WDW. .
    Tower of terror was a very bad Disney movie- with steve Guttenberg
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Say what you want about the idea, but the venture seems to have created a LOT of buzz. Near 250 replies to this post!?

Anyway, I don't really like Avatar, but I guess there's no reason not to give it a chance.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    I simply said that's what it seems like. Why can't I have opinions that differ from yours?
    You can... But you stated Tom Staggs and Disney was in damage control mode right away due to his online Q&A... That Q&A was scheduled BEFORE the fanboys had a nervous breakdown... So, no damage control...

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Funny that this point needs to be made at all concerning a place "that all started with a mouse" (and one that talks and walks upright at that).
    Yep... rabid Disney fans forget what Disney was started on... A talking mouse... Last I checked, mice don't talk...

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    So now they're gonna add it to Animal Kingdom. Why? Are the aliens considered animals? Or is it because there's a lot of nature in the movie and somehow nature = Animal Kingdom? I don't get it.
    I don't think of them as "imagined" animals like the Yeti -- the Yeti legends have been around for thousands of years, and most people know at least SOME version of that legend. Whereas the aliens in Avatar are James Cameron's imagined creatures... and if you look through this thread, a lot of people haven't seen the movie so they can't really "share" in that imagination like a thousand-year old Yeti legend. The two don't really compare..
    Yes, aliens are, by definition animals... Humans, by definition, are animals... Also, animals to live on Pandora... And aliens have been in human folklore forever... There are even caveman drawings depicting aliens visiting earth... So, aliens are just as much a part of human folklore as the yeti...

Lion King and Nemo are based off high grossing movies that deal with creatures that really don't exist (talking fish and lions).. Let's move them to DHS...

And is it jumping the gun or getting a franchise that has exploded on the scene before there is a theme park war from the rights after the next 2 movies come out???

And why are we worried if kids know what Avatar is??? Aren't we always complainign that Disney caters too much to kids??? here they have a franchise kids may not know and what do people question??? If kids know Avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Notice how it's DISNEY calling Pandora a "mythical world." It's NOT mythical. It's imagined, fictional. There is a huge difference. They are trying to make AVATAR fit where it's obvious that it doesn't. It's a stretch and they know it.

Damage control is right. Just spew out the line: "new adventures that will delight and thrill our guests", and hope the naysayers go away, seems to be the M.O. these days.

There is nothing wrong with people/fans being critical. It forces companies to think, and fully question the decisions they make. I'm critical of their choice to put this in AK.

And, I'm sure my kids aren't the only ones who have no clue what AVATAR even is. The mass family wide appeal is just lacking on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Natalie, not trying to nit-pick, but one of the dictionary definitions of mythical IS "imaginary; fictitious." Disney's use of the word is not incorrect. Just saying this because their use of the word seems to bother you, but they're not wrong in this case.
    Aurora, you are correct... Mythical and imaginary can be used together... I still find it funny that people woudl accept a mythical/imaginary land based on imaginary animals such as dragons, but mention imaginary animals from Avatar and they go crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Wow...reading through here I keep seeing the scene in "Wayne's World" where Garth hits the robotic hand with a hammer and says "We fear change..."
    Disney fanboys don't fear change... Well, most don't... Most fanboys, however, hate when they don't get what THEY want... They hate when Disney appeals to the masses and not the fanboy sense of entitlement...

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    I'll agree with you on one point; at least Disney is doing something "big".

But I'd have to say I agree with Goofster and the comparisons pointed out by some are faulty. Indiana Jones etc. are attractions, not entire lands.

Why you're bashing people who thought Disney would consider one of their own pictures to base an entire land on is beyond comprehension. Its only natural that Disney fans on a Disney forum would have preferred and even expected the aforementioned.
    Which picture??? Star Wars?? not a Disney movie... In fact, Walt Disney added third party IP into Disneyland when he built is.. Tom Sawyer anyone?? No one cries about that now, do we???

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    This is completely true and if nothing else gets the head-spinners to calm down...this should. Take a breath, have a sip of water...it'll be OK...

Nothing will calm them down because they aren't thinking rationally and with a business sense.. They are acting too much on emotion and hatred for a movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    My hope is that Avatar will (please, please, please) replace Hester and Chester. Yes, replace them! At this point anything would be a huge improvement. The fact that they are not saying Avatar will or will not replace an area leaves me to hope that it will indeed replace this horrible eyesore in what is an otherwise beautiful park.

A girl can only hope..
    Sorry to disappoint, but Avatar won't replace Chester and Hester... The land will either o into the expansion plot north of Asia or replace Camp Minnie-Mickey...

Quote Originally Posted by beezyboo10 View Post
    people are talking about AVATAR not fitting in to Animal Kingdom. Explain how The Wizarding World of Harry Potter fits in to Island of ADventure at US. Maybe they are trying to do something to attract bigger crowds in one location.
    Beside being based on the movie, Harry Potter fits because you technically go on an adventure... also, each property in IOA is based on a book or some sort of reading material...

Marvel = Comics
    Toon Lagoon - comic stips
    Jurassic Park = series of books (and movies)
    Dr. Suess = books
    Harry Potter = 7 book set
    Lost Continent = based on fantasy books as well... Sinbad being one...

Jurassic Park and HP sets are visials from the movies cause that is what everyone knows... And makes much more sense visually...

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Actually I disagree, yes we might be yelling at Disney for not doing anything big like that, but to me, Avatar fits more with Universal and what they do then it does Disney.
    and yet people wanted Harry potter in the Disney parks, screamed when Disney refused to cater to JK Rowling... And look, Universal's attendance skyrocketed... If Avatar went to Universal, and a deeply immersive land was built there, with yet another techonologically advanced ride, and their attendance shot up even more, knocking off DHS and DAK and challenging Epcot, fans would be online screaming that Disney is clueless and has no idea what fans want...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm obviously late to the party, but I had no idea the announcement would stir up this kind of fervor.

I can kind of see both sides. I'll admit my gut reaction what a little bit of confusion. What does Avatar have to do with Disney kind of thing. However I'm not opposed to the idea.

1. James Cameron plus Disney Imagineers working to bring a whole new land to one of the parks cannot be a bad thing.

2. Avatar in my opinion is a good movie and I can see how it fits in Animal Kingdom. I saw the movie once so I'm not some kind of Avatar fanatic, but I think there's some good potential there.

3. Sure Disney could do their own thing, but they aren't. Beastly Kingdom has been dead for a long time now. Maybe the finances just aren't there for Disney to go it alone. I'm glad they found some way to make progress.

4. I'm amazed by all the people who are complaining yet admitting that they have never seen the movie. If you haven't seen the movie your opinion is irrelevant.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post

4. I'm amazed by all the people who are complaining yet admitting that they have never seen the movie. If you haven't seen the movie your opinion is irrelevant.
    I was with you up until this point. Just because you haven't seen a movie doesn't mean your opinion that Disney should use their own properties irrelevant. I've seen most of the movie...but never could really sit through the whole thing. Boring. Maybe if I had seen it at the theater I would feel differently about calling it boring, but I still wouldn't feel like its a great Disney fit.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I think Disney had to do something BIG, and everything James Cameron does is VERY BIG, and VERY SUCCESSFUL. Honestly, I think the logevity of the Avatar franchise is mostly irrelevant. If the "land" itself is made up of cool state of the art forward thinking technologically advanced and visually stunning fun stuff, then it will carry itself. Personally, I think it's a very appropriate fit considering the environmental tones of the film.

As far as the not family friendly goes ... POTC is very not family friendly (speaking in Disney terms), but they have run with it, and even set up the Pirates League to have our kids dress the part. I don't think Avatar is any less "appropriate" than other franchises marketed through the parks.

This said, I did not enjoy Avatar any of the dozen times I attempted to keep my eyes open whilst watching it, BUT my two sons (aged 7 and 13) and my 16 year old niece LOVED it. I am excited to see what happens at AK, a park that we spend a couple of hours at every few years. Like others have said, maybe this will get us to add it back into our park touring circuit ... then again maybe it will be just one more reason to not visit. Time will tell.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR ALERT!

Just a quick reminder to please consider your tone when responding to posts. It's one thing to state your opinion or viewpoint on a topic, but when your posts come off like yours is the only correct viewpoint that can be offensive and off-putting to others.

There have been a few posts recently in this thread that are pushing the envelope and have resulted in a few reported posts. Let's try and be respectful, please!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    If the "land" itself is made up of cool state of the art forward thinking technologically advanced and visually stunning fun stuff, then it will carry itself.
    Agreed. If there are good rides, then you'll want to go on them.

I just hope that they call it Pandora rather than Avatar-land.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    Agreed. If there are good rides, then you'll want to go on them.

I just hope that they call it Pandora rather than Avatar-land.
    I don't see calling the area Pandora would be a good thing -- with two more movies coming out, which will probably NOT occur on Pandora - as that particular story has been told, I would think that the Avatar 'technology' would be the draw --- being able to place yourself, in avatar form, within an 'alien' culture would be the draw in my opinion.

I could see Pandora being a 'section' of the new land, but having other sections to cover the two upcoming movies...

A thought would be to have many possible 'locations' and simulating avatars for different cultures/creatures/etc. That way you could visit many times and never play the same character or race twice.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

3. Sure Disney could do their own thing, but they aren't. Beastly Kingdom has been dead for a long time now. Maybe the finances just aren't there for Disney to go it alone. I'm glad they found some way to make progress.

I think this is a often over looked aspect of this business venture that Disney set up. In one of the worst economy's Disney/Cameron are rumored to be budgeting 500million for this project (In comparison Fantasyland expansion was rumored at 100million). With that kind of cost there is no way Disney would do that on their own if they were just building Beastly Kingdom.

I honestly hope this ends up being better than what everyone is expected and that some new technological advances are created for the theme park industry (but mainly Disney). I'd just like to look at this as my glass is half-full not half-empty.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I think the most important step is going to be for everyone is to see what the scope of the project actually is. Once drawings and renderings start showing up, i feel that everyone will warm up to the idea (including myself). I originally was envisioning this huge pandora park built onto the side of animal kingdom. But once i stepped back and thought about the size of the existing "lands", i realize that those are not huge. I think pandora will be about the same size as the other lands which seem to have 1 signature ride and then a couple other nice attractions. And if Cameron is involved, the signature ride should be special.

Will one more amazing ride boost visits to AK? It will for me but i was never a AK "hater" (for lack of a better term). State-of-the-art Pandora ride, everest, dinosaur, safari, krr, ittbab... That sounds like a full day to me.

I'm out of the loop on cost. How does the dollar figure for avatar-land compare to the cost of building pottersville?

Post Thanks / Like

I was with you up until this point. Just because you haven't seen a movie doesn't mean your opinion that Disney should use their own properties irrelevant. I've seen most of the movie...but never could really sit through the whole thing. Boring. Maybe if I had seen it at the theater I would feel differently about calling it boring, but I still wouldn't feel like its a great Disney fit.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree then because I still think it's impossible to know whether or not this movie is a good "fit" when you haven't even bothered to watch it.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the movie back when it first came out. Decided to revisit it again the last couple of nights (it takes me two to three nights to finish a movie nowadays lol).
    I am really excited about all the possibilities the immagineers will have the opportunity to explore! I also feel as did someone in a post a ways back that the movie is a remake of the story line in Pocahontas... but cooler! Wishing I could be an immagineer right now!!! I bet those guys are super pumped to have this to work with!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We'll just have to agree to disagree then because I still think it's impossible to know whether or not this movie is a good "fit" when you haven't even bothered to watch it.
    Ok, I guess we will. My point was that it really doesn't matter what the movie is or how good it is, ( i got kind of side tracked because I think Avatar is boring) I think Disney has enough of their own intellectual property to do something uniquely their own which would be much better. I can see "outside" movies at DHS, but not so much here.

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I guess we will. My point was that it really doesn't matter what the movie is or how good it is, ( i got kind of side tracked because I think Avatar is boring) I think Disney has enough of their own intellectual property to do something uniquely their own which would be much better. I can see "outside" movies at DHS, but not so much here.
    I'm not opposed to a different point of view, but to me if you are going to say it isn't a good "fit" then you need to offer some support for that argument and to do that you would probably need to know more about the movie. Saying it isn't a good fit just because it isn't Disney's intellectual property seems short sided. Heck, most classic Disney movies are based on stories that aren't Disney ideas. It's what Disney can do with it that counts.
    Last edited by Disney Doll; 09-28-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: fix quote error
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just not sure I follow the logic here. Just about everything in the theme parks came from an outside source at some point, even the properties we now consider "classic" Disney. Walt Disney appropriated stories that purists saw as timeless fables and morality tales and turned them into cute, cuddly, sentimental entertainment. If Disney himself, the man who built the company, can use "Peter Pan," "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Cinderella," why can't the modern Disney corporation use "Avatar?" Who's to say that in 50 or 60 or 70 years, kids don't see "Avatar" as Disney. Many kids already see the Muppets as "Disney" these days. I just don't see how this is any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I think Disney had to do something BIG, and everything James Cameron does is VERY BIG, and VERY SUCCESSFUL. Honestly, I think the logevity of the Avatar franchise is mostly irrelevant. If the "land" itself is made up of cool state of the art forward thinking technologically advanced and visually stunning fun stuff, then it will carry itself. Personally, I think it's a very appropriate fit considering the environmental tones of the film.

As far as the not family friendly goes ... POTC is very not family friendly (speaking in Disney terms), but they have run with it, and even set up the Pirates League to have our kids dress the part. I don't think Avatar is any less "appropriate" than other franchises marketed through the parks.

This said, I did not enjoy Avatar any of the dozen times I attempted to keep my eyes open whilst watching it, BUT my two sons (aged 7 and 13) and my 16 year old niece LOVED it. I am excited to see what happens at AK, a park that we spend a couple of hours at every few years. Like others have said, maybe this will get us to add it back into our park touring circuit ... then again maybe it will be just one more reason to not visit. Time will tell.
    I agree with basically everything in this post, especially the paragraph regarding the irrelevance of "Avatar's" longevity as a franchise.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not opposed to a different point of view, but to me if you are going to say it isn't a good "fit" then you need to offer some support for that argument and to do that you would probably need to know more about the movie. Saying it isn't a good fit just because it isn't Disney's intellectual property seems short sided. Heck, most classic Disney movies are based on stories that aren't Disney ideas. It's what Disney can do with it that counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I'm just not sure I follow the logic here. Just about everything in the theme parks came from an outside source at some point, even the properties we now consider "classic" Disney. Walt Disney appropriated stories that purists saw as timeless fables and morality tales and turned them into cute, cuddly, sentimental entertainment. If Disney himself, the man who built the company, can use "Peter Pan," "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Cinderella," why can't the modern Disney corporation use "Avatar?" Who's to say that in 50 or 60 or 70 years, kids don't see "Avatar" as Disney. Many kids already see the Muppets as "Disney" these days. I just don't see how this is any different.
    I may as well kill two birds with one stone here.

1. I'm not really arguing anything. I have my opinion and you have yours. One shouldn't have to "argue" and opinion, since it's based on personal beliefs. I'm simply trying to explain the rationale. If you don't get it, that's fine!

2. Ok, I'll give it one more shot here, since apparently I'm not explaining myself well. yes, the "classic" Disney stories and movies were not originally Disney. However, they WERE made into Disney movies. All of the classic characters that are represented were Disney's adaptations. Avatar wasn't. It really didn't have anything to do with Disney other than a licensing agreement. True, the Muppets were not Disney, but they were put into a park celebrating ALL of movies and entertainment, not just Disney. DHS is unique in that way.

Again, its just my take on it. Agree or don't, we're all still friends here!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

2. Ok, I'll give it one more shot here, since apparently I'm not explaining myself well. yes, the "classic" Disney stories and movies were not originally Disney. However, they WERE made into Disney movies. All of the classic characters that are represented were Disney's adaptations. Avatar wasn't. It really didn't have anything to do with Disney other than a licensing agreement. True, the Muppets were not Disney, but they were put into a park celebrating ALL of movies and entertainment, not just Disney. DHS is unique in that way.
    And this pretty much sums up my opinion on all of this as well, even though I'm warming to the idea just a bit and trying to stick to my rule of not poo-pooing these announcements until we are shown some concept art and are given some more concrete details.

Post Thanks / Like

1. I'm not really arguing anything. I have my opinion and you have yours. One shouldn't have to "argue" and opinion, since it's based on personal beliefs. I'm simply trying to explain the rationale. If you don't get it, that's fine!
    I agree and so does the Oxford English Dictionary ...opinions are by definition "an assessment based on grounds short of proof." Opinions can be based on things as subjective as perceptions and feelings and thus need not be footnoted to be valid.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: