Quantcast Does Disney still have the "wow" factor?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Disney still have the "wow" factor?

A post on the thread about the "Avatar" announcement said this:

"For whatever reason, Disney just does not have the willingness, or ability to wow us anymore."

My first thought was the new "Magic, Memories and You" show projected on Cinderella Castle just before "Wishes." When I first read about what it would be, I thought, you've got to be kidding me. Then I saw it. Huge WOW.

Then I thought about riding POTC through Davy Jones' face, and popping virtual targets at Toy Story characters, and walking through the standby queue in Expedition Everest, and Soarin'.

Do you agree with the first thought -- that Disney can't wow us anymore? Or can you name other shows or attractions that you recently experienced and found yourself mouthing "wow"?
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I can show you my credit card bill after my vacation

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree... Last trip I got home and looked at our food costs and said, "WOW!" I was in awe!

I was doubly impressed that they seem to still not be able to sell a decent souvenir t-shirt. I couldn't believe it's been about 5 years since I spent any money on trinkets at and of the shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I think they can definetly still "wow" us. Frankly, im unimpressed with the Avatar decision. Ive never even seen Avatar so perhaps that has something to do with me being unimpressed. I just feel that there are so many Disney Pictures that could have been used for the basis of a new "themed land" at the parks.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to WDW 6 times. I am still in awe enough times to wish for another trip. One does get used to repeated experiences and lose fear and awe, even dangerous stuff.
    I am glad I still enjoy WDW.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

i'm still wowed by what disney has done but look at the entertainment business.no new ideas ,everything seems to be a remake.on tv ,charlies angels, hawaii 50. the movie remakes,foot loose,wild west and more.the last movie i say that had me totally wowed was the matrix,the first one.i looked at my wife after the movie and wondered if she was real.lol. so its not just disney everything seems to be in a lull.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    That was Priceless !!!! great answer..

Oh yeah and I think what would really "WOW" me is if they turn the Speed Way into the theme of Cars...Not that they will,but I would love to say WOW!!! if they did.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

WDW NEVER FAILS TO WOW ME!!! I don't understand all the people freaking out about Avatar either. Did they see this movie?? EYE-POPPING movie. The possibilities are unreal with what imagineers can and WILL do with this project. I am excited and if no one else is then maybe the crowds will be lower and my family will have the parks all to ourselves!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Default always wowwed

Yea I have to say that I will always be wowwed by Disney parks. Grew up going to WDW and then moved to Los Angeles and now I know I could never be unimpressed because I go to Disneyland Resort almost every other month.
    Will always appreciate the level of detail put into everything. This blows every other theme park out of the water for me. And that's while I will always be wowwed. And as for Avatar; I didn't love the movie but the visual beauty of it will make a great attraction. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    I don't understand all the people freaking out about Avatar either. Did they see this movie?? EYE-POPPING movie. The possibilities are unreal with what imagineers can and WILL do with this project.
    I couldn't agree more here. I think the collaboration between Disney and Cameron is going to be amazing.

At first, I wondered why Animal Kingdom? Why not Hollywood Studios? But I remembered Disney intended there to be a Beastly Kingdoms, full of mythical creatures, in AK's original design. This is a nice "plussed" idea of that. So I'm excited, too!!!

Disney still wows me jus by effectively managing a workforce of 35,000 that never fails to impress. Kudos to all cast members, imagineers, and those associated with the theme parks. You are the real stars and the reason Disney shines.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Disney still wows me jus by effectively managing a workforce of 35,000 that never fails to impress
    You missed the number - by about 30,000 Yes, WDW is the largest single-site employer in the world, with 65,000 Cast Members. That includes full- and part-time, seasonal, salaried managers and executives, Imagineering, DCL (which, as I understand, is "attached" to the WDW resort), College Program, and International College Program.

But yeah...it really takes a LOT of effort to keep all 65,000 working together.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

No I just cannot agree. Sorry. :0(
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

YES! I love WDW and I'm what you call "Disney Poor" to prove it. It is what you make it!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

They "wowed" me on my very 1st trip and still continue to "wow" me now after many many trips!!! I don't ever anticipate not being "wowed" because that's what Disney is all about and I think that is why I continue to want to go back year after year!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    YES! I love WDW and I'm what you call "Disney Poor" to prove it. It is what you make it!
    All right, what is Disney poor??

For me, living just 45 minutes from the magic and going for 10+ years at least every 1-2 months for a day or so...it totally has the WOW factor still!

Call me dorky, corny, sentimental, crazy...but every time I walk through one of the park entrances something instantly happens to me...the cares of the real world are gone. I'm neck deep in fantasy, imagination, fun and memories. This became even more priceless with the birth of my sons and now watching their faces light up every time we go
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney will never lose its WOW factor. My parents took us to WDW every 3 years when we were growing up. One of the highlights was always the Main Street Electrical Parade. Last summer, I had the chance to watch this parade alongside my parents, my siblings, and our children. When the music started, I got chills and glanced at my dad, who had tears in his eyes. Nope. The WOW factor is still there--- and we will be there in 2012, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has never failed to WOW us! We go every two years and each trip always seems even more magical than the last. We always go expecting to have a good time and we end up having a GREAT time.

Post Thanks / Like

I am WOWed every time i go. I'm 48, don't have much money, but still love the place, and everytime i leave i can't wait to go back....so for me, YES it has that wow factor.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

If you doubt the continuation of the WoW factor, check ribeyespud's threat, "Our 1st Time, and Only Trip to WDW" Every time I read it, I catch another WoW! Still does it for me after all these years...Of course, my glass is always more than half full.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: