Quantcast Hitting the Beach (Club)- Part One

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hitting the Beach (Club)- Part One

See pre-trip report for details and a few live reports.

My end of the summer surprise, as we prepared to send our youngest off to her first year of college, was the husband telling me to go ahead and book a trip for the two of us to enjoy the Food and Wine Fest for my birthday. That trip took place on Tuesday Oct 4 to Sunday October 9-- just after Parents' Weekend at the daughter's college.

Two Vacationers:
    Sherri (birthday girl), turning... (sigh) 43.
    Sean (sweet husband) A few years older.

We stayed at the Beach Club, Club Level. Completely new to us. We have never stayed Club Level, or at the Beach Club, but that's what was available when we booked, so we took it.
    (With thanks to Denise at Magical Journeys). We usually stay at the monorail deluxes, but we thought it would be great to be close to World Showcase for this trip.

Day One:
    Easy early morning flight on Southwest from CT/Bradley to MCO. Landed before 9:30. We used Quicksilver instead of DME. We were quickly on our way and checking in before 10. The greeter directed us to a CM who brought us up to the Club Level. Our room was ready- no need to check bags!

The Club Level staff was courteous, efficient. Our room was the furthest possible room from the Club Lounge- way down at the end of the hall, and then a second hall. But it was a very large corner room, and we had our requested King bed, so yay! Two little balconies. Our view? Rooftop, another rooftop, trees, and construction areas. But who needs a view? (Well, sometimes we do, but we were fine without one this time).

Our plan was to head to the MK, through Epcot so we could check out the closed F & W booths and menus on the way (WS not yet open) and then to see that Soarin' had a long wait (shocker). On to the MK!

I always love that first monorail ride, the first sight of the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Castle. We arrived at the MK at 11, and husband was hungry. I reminded him that we had a 1:30 lunch ADR at Grand Floridian Cafe, but we thought a Casey's hot dog couldn't hurt.

Once in line at Casey's, though, it made more sense to use our QS credits (dining plan). He got a Casey's original, but I decided to try the fancy Chicago Dog. Those gourmet hot dogs come loaded up with toppings- and I mean loaded up, piled so high that you can barely get it to a table and then you wonder how you will manage to eat it without wearing it. But it was good (and I succeeded! Wearing white, and didn't spill a thing on me- minor miracle). Casey's buns are weird now, more like sub rolls? I had to pinch a lot of bread off just to get in there to get a bite of dog. We couldn't really manage the fries, just too much food, plus we were eager to do some attractions before lunch.

We left the area as the parade was wrapping up (a parade, a show? I think it was Move it, Shake it, or reminded me of that) and headed to Pirates of the Caribbean (always a great time). Next, Thunder Mountain, which closed down just as we were about to head down the ramp to the loading area. We headed to the Haunted Mansion instead.

It was hot. I thought it was a pleasant, radiant, wonderful heat. We left days of chilly rain behind in CT. But the husband thought it was a miserable, too sunny heat (sigh), so we didn't do the new interactive queue and opted for the shorter line to get inside faster. We got in a ride on Space Mountain, then headed to the Grand Floridian by boat.

It was at the GF that we started wondering if we made a big mistake to stay anywhere else. We were home. We love it there. We ate (fabulous lunch- more in my later dining report), relaxed, shopped. We thought about heading back to the MK, but we honestly love the resort (and the Poly) so much that we didn't want to leave. We bought some great stuff, soaked in the atmosphere, and decided to go do the same at our next favorite, the Polynesian.We boated over- love that boat ride.

At the Poly, we browsed the Wyland gallery, pondered some purchases (but didn't buy), enjoyed the lush lobby and shops, then stopped for a Lapu Lapu. It's vacation, why not. Eventually, we headed back to the MK to catch a bus back to the Beach Club. We thought perhaps we should relax in the room for a bit and give the Beach Club a fair shot at winning us over.

Relax in the room? Explore the resort? We both conked out. We wanted to have some time in Epcot, so we forced ourselves up and out of there. With a stop at the lounge to explore the nightly offerings on the way. Pastry wrapped brie with raspberry sauce, and little shrimp pouches (like egg rolls). We decided the Food and Wine fest, and World Showcase, had priority over other attractions for this trip.

We explored France- amazing. France was our favorite. We kept going back. Coq au vin over mac n cheese, plus escargot bites in perfect little pastry packages. Cosmo slush (which did not compare to the Grey Goose slushes, my favorite). I had steamed mussels in Belgium (delicious- the cream sauce, so good), the linguica sausage in Portugal gave my husband some indigestion, so we nearly stopped there for the night (still kind of full from lunch anyway). But we made it on to New Zealand anyway. Scallop with red curry puree and lamb slider- both delicious.

We were done with food, but my husband wanted to check out Cava del Tequila. On the way over, we rode Maelstrom, rode the river ride in Mexico (donde esta Donald?), and decided to just wait in line for a tequila flight at Cava, even though the place looked full and the line was a potential deterrent. The bar is takeout only, so there's only a really long wait if you want to sit and linger. The line moves fast- just get in there and grab a place at the bar to order. But the husband started talking to the bartenders and learning about tequila and we decided we would come back another time so he could sample more. We got back out to World Showcase in time to watch Illuminations before heading back to the Beach Club.

I did enjoy having the club lounge to stop in on the way to and from the room, to grab some iced tea, soft drink, snack, or (in this case, at night) a cordial. We were too tired to linger long. It was a busy, but very happy, first day.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like great selections at the F&W Festival...hope you are too disappointed in your room

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful time! Sounds heavenly. I'm wondering when the day will be that DH and I can go w/o kids (and the guilt of not bringing the kids w/us!)
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip back as a couple without the kids was when they were in high school. They both had lots of activities and things to keep them busy, and we take them often and really wanted to experience it again ourselves. We hadn't been without kids since our honeymoon. There was guilt involved, but no regrets. It was a wonderful trip. We took a family trip not long after, though. It really is a different kind of trip. And now they have work and school, and still love to go with us, but understand when we go alone, which we plan to do every so often.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed the F&W Feastival as well. It sounds like our paths may have crossed that day. We too spent many hours in the Countries without ever going into any attractions.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildernesslady View Post
    We enjoyed the F&W Feastival as well. It sounds like our paths may have crossed that day. We too spent many hours in the Countries without ever going into any attractions.
    There is just too much to enjoy in WS! I love it there. We probably did pass each other unaware. We need an Intercot street sign, some sort of secret hand signal.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing I've already eaten my dinner this evening or I would have been dooling on my laptop screen by now! Sounds like there was lots of yummy eating this day!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We are going again for the last weekend of F&W, but I convinced DH to get in a day early so we could make it to F&W on a Friday. After reading this--very happy!! There is so much everyone wants to try--favorite place for 13 yr old is World Showcase and the food!! (And we get to stay at the Poly
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Great report- thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    See[URL="http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=186131"] We bought some great stuff, soaked in the atmosphere, and decided to go do the same at our next favorite, the Polynesian.We boated over- love that boat ride.
    This is our first time staying at the Poly coming up.... There is a boat that goes from the Poly to GF?

Also is there a boat that then goes from Poly to WL or do you have to connect via MK?
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    This is our first time staying at the Poly coming up.... There is a boat that goes from the Poly to GF?

Also is there a boat that then goes from Poly to WL or do you have to connect via MK?
    There is a boat that goes from MK-GF-Poly-MK in a loop. There is a separate boat that goes to and from the MK-Wilderness Lodge. For Wilderness Lodge, you have to connect via MK, or maybe bus at TTC.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

okay thats something i didnt know

btw love your reports... i just get into the reading of them so much i forget to always reply lol
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Great first day!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful first day, Sherri!

It was hot. I thought it was a pleasant, radiant, wonderful heat.
    I so love days at Disney like this - can imagine it right now!!!

Thanks for all the great details of Day One!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: