Quantcast Irksome management decisons

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which recent park management decison bothers you the most?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Limited monorail hours

58 26.61%
  • Shops closing immediately at park closing

50 22.94%
  • $10 a head charged for missed ADRs at select restaurants

18 8.26%
  • None of them are a big deal to me

92 42.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Irksome management decisons

Three recent management decisions (two directly related to the MK and one to many of Disney's most popular eateries including the MK's Crystal Palace) have irked many of us. My question is which one has bothered you the most.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

e. All of the above and then some

Post Thanks / Like

None of those particularly bother me.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm generally anti-management, but I had to be honest. Those particular issues don't bother me.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

When they stopped the monorails for EMH in September when we were there I was mad to say the least. We just shelled out all this money to stay at the Polynesian so we would have the monorails to take us home. We always take advantage of the EMH. So we had to take a bus from Epcot and the last night we were leaving MK the lines for the little boats were horrendous. I asked a CM what he would do and he said take the ferry to the TTC and then wlak to the Poly. Which we did. I might as well stay at a moderate resort or cheaper because we are no onger getting what we paid for. And believe me I love the Poly and Disney more than anything. I've never had a complaint in my life but this one hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    None of those particularly bother me.
    Really? Bother or impact?

I know I will never be impacted by these, however the trend towards putting it to guests is disturbing.

If there's nothing in the shops to buy, I don't care if they lock the doors, get those CMs off the payroll system faster (which s what's driving this I'm sure).

Monorail service after EMH doesn't go to AKL or any other resort I would stay at.

And the ADR thing is just another revenue stream implemented under the guise of solving a problem.

So, impact? No, Bother? Sure... What's next?

Post Thanks / Like

None of them bother me. We've always had the worst luck with the monorail breaking down and taking forever to get where we were going. The $10 fee, if it frees up more tables at restaurants for ADR's I'm all for it. I shop while I'm in the parks so not having them open is not a problem.

I'm just happy to be there.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I can't afford monorail resorts, so that's out. However, I love to shop (even in the sea of people) after the parks have closed. There's nothing like hitting the Emporium right after Wishes. If they took that away, I'd be bothered.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say they close the stores (or even the monorail) at Park close. The "closures" are taking place during Extra Magic Hours, not regular hours. And EMH have always been marketed as extra time in the parks when "not all attractions are available" and "schedule may change." To me, this is no different than complaining that "I paid all this money" and X ride isn't open during EMH. It's a limited benefit being offered - always has been.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually have no problem with any of the changes.
    KODABEAR
    FIRST TRIP MARCH '79 POLY
    175 plus trips

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by c&d View Post
    None of them bother me. We've always had the worst luck with the monorail breaking down and taking forever to get where we were going. The $10 fee, if it frees up more tables at restaurants for ADR's I'm all for it. I shop while I'm in the parks so not having them open is not a problem.
    I agree! None of them bother me either.

The dining fee actually makes sense to me. If it wasn't a problem, they would not be putting a fee on it.

It really only impacts the people that are in the habit of skipping ressies without the courtesy of cancelling so someone else can be seated. Works fine for me. . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't think any of these things are going to affect me in a negative way, but here are my thoughts on each one.

I think the monorail thing is just wrong - if the parks are open, then all the transportation should be running.

I think they are foolish for closing the shops and I would bet that they will realize a loss in revenue and change this back.

And, I'm glad they are going to charge people for skipping reservations. People are rude. I have heard people talk about making reservations while realizing there is a very small chance that they will actually use them, but they didn't care because they weren't going to be held accountable.

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The monorail thing, from all that I've heard, is safety related and not cost cutting related. Unless I hear differently from a credible source, that one bothers me not a bit.

I really don't see why anyone would be bothered by them closing the shops at the same time the park closes. I always thought it was kinda weird they stayed open later anyway.

And the charge for skipping ADR's has been a long time coming. You may not realize it, but there are a lot of trolls out there that will schedule 2, 3, 4, or even 5 different ADR's for every meal just to cover places they may be during the course of a day. That's half the reason it's so darn hard to get ADR's these days.

I think those inconsiderate jerks should be charged a lot more than $10 ...
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

None of those really bother me at all!

I actually applaud them for starting to charge for missed ADRs
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Applaud the decision on ADRs - means that visitors will be reluctant to make multiple ADRs for the same day/time to pick the one that suits best and screw those that are looking for a time at a place the original people are pretty sure they won't eat at, but want to save "just in case".

Monorail - Never stayed at a Deluxe monorail resort, so could care less. Buses still run.

Shops, guess what, I'm usually more worried about getting my exhausted butt out the gate slowly than shopping after closing and so are the poor guys working in the shops (worked retail for a few years and understand their situation).
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The monorail thing, from all that I've heard, is safety related and not cost cutting related. Unless I hear differently from a credible source, that one bothers me not a bit
    Honestly, the monorail situation irks me a bit. The entire infrastructure is outdated and deteriorated because of years of systematic abuse and ignorance. The monorails for years were able to run without interruption. Now it seems like problems sprout up every day. I hope that the extra down time now will help Disney slowly do the necessary maintenance, but it's just a Band-Aid over the real problem: Disney World needs a new monorail fleet, and the management team definitely knows it. It's just a matter of how long they can scrape by with what they have.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Honestly, the monorail situation irks me a bit. The entire infrastructure is outdated and deteriorated because of years of systematic abuse and ignorance.
    That's a fair point. I agree with you on that, now that I think about it more.

Good catch, Jared.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think another thing affecting monorail maintenance is the lack of slow seasons. With increased year round attendance, I believe they're finding it difficult to perform the in depth maintenance each train is supposed to undergo annually. That, coupled with the fact that they have one less train ever since the accident, seems to really be affecting monorail performance.
    Cassie
    WDW Cast Member, Fame Tree BBQ, Jan '04- Sep '05

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cassieblanca View Post
    I think another thing affecting monorail maintenance is the lack of slow seasons. With increased year round attendance, I believe they're finding it difficult to perform the in depth maintenance each train is supposed to undergo annually. That, coupled with the fact that they have one less train ever since the accident, seems to really be affecting monorail performance.
    That's true to an extent, and having a full fleet will definitely help the system. It's nice to see Peach online, but I wish Disney would have spent the money for a new monorail instead of repurposing an old one.

This is a problem we're seeing property-wide these days. Because there really is no offseason anymore, the Orlando management team has been so reluctant to take attractions offline and give them the work they need. That's why Splash Mountain spent most of this year in such horrible shape, and it's why Big Thunder Mountain Railroad needs such a long rehab in a few months. Ideally, Disney would have closed Big Thunder for a few weeks when things started getting rough. Now they're forced to essentially redo the entire attraction and ultimately inconvenience more guests.

I think it's a fair comparison to the monorail situation. Instead of running limited or delayed service on the beams for a few weeks, they pushed the system to the absolute limit, and now it's at a lurch.

EDIT: I like when we see eye to eye, Ian. I hope the Eagles fare a little better than the Phillies.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I do not have any issues with any of the decisions listed above. As the monorail broke down one of the two times we used it last week (this was during the day), I believe time needs to be allotted the monorail really needs more time for maintenance. I have never been much of a shopper, so that does not bother me. We make most of our reservations same day and only do a character meal once every 3 years, so not an issue for us either.

Same thing with rides- RRC and Test Track kept breaking down and I think both are in need of an extensive refurbishment.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: