Quantcast 1st Trip for 4 - The Full Report - Part 5 EPCOT and Cape May Cafe

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Trip for 4 - The Full Report - Part 5 EPCOT and Cape May Cafe

So, the plan today is to be at EPCOT for rope drop. We aren’t sure if we’ll come back to the room. We’ll see how the kids do with napping in their stroller or what. Lunch is wherever we feel like having food. We have ADR’s for Cape May Café at Beach Club at 5:15 this evening. We will meet up with my BFF and family for Illuminations. Also, for my birthday present, I decided I wanted to do Pick a Pearl from Japan. I’ve always wanted to do that. I plan on also picking a setting. The must do attractions are Soarin’ and Test Track. This will be Isabel’s first time riding the big rides. So, we are hoping to score walk on to Soarin’ and FP for later. Anything else is icing.

5:55am – Wake up call. Thanks Mickey but, I’m tired. Then I remember where I am. I remember what day it is and I’m up! I’m at AKL. It’s our first day. And I’m going to EPCOT! Usually, I get up and then shower and wake Chris up for his turn in the shower. But, this morning, he’s up too! I make coffee. But, the coffee maker is broken. It seems to only brew ½ a cup and then shuts off. So, I have to babysit the coffee maker and keep pressing the on button. But, once the water is gone, when I press the on button, it stays on. Weird.

6:45am – Wake the kids up. They moan and grown and then Natalie jumps up and says we’re at Disney World. Maybe Mickey left something for us. Well, he didn’t. But, Donald and Daisy did! They each get a purple Halloween bucket with a homemade coloring book from Mommy… I mean Minnie, a fresh box of 64 crayons (there is nothing better than a fresh box of crayons to my budding artists) and some Mickey Halloween stickers.

8:10am – leave the room. Our goal was to leave by 8am so, we aren’t doing so bad. We are driving to EPCOT today.

8:32am – Pull into our EPCOT parking spot. We are close enough to walk to the gate.

8:41am – waiting in line… OPEN! OPEN! OPEN!

8:50am – The opening ceremony started and we were right where the confetti popped out. Kids were running everywhere trying to get the confetti.

As soon as we walked in, Daisy and Stitch were there waiting. We were only 3rd or so in line for Daisy. The kids made their autograph books this year and they chose Daisy for the cover. So, Daisy was sooooo happy to sign their books.

We then wait in line for Stitch and he uses the girls’ pens to clean his ears out and floss his teeth. Isabel says, “That Stitch is crazy.” Stitch hears that and runs after Isabel to ruffle her hair.

By the time we are done with the characters, we head over to Soarin’. It was somewhat busy but, not the TSM busy. However, by the time we got there at about 9:20, the FPs that we got were already for 11:45 – 12:45pm. Since it was only a 5 minute wait, we jump in line. Isabel measures tall enough and we get the lowest row. Good for us since we don’t know if Isabel will freak out or not. Well, Natalie is the one we should have been worried about. She doesn’t like it because it’s too loud. She covered her ears the whole time. Isabel on the other hand, had her hands out like she was flying. As soon as we got off, Isabel asked to ride again. We get out and the wait time has jumped to 30 minutes. We’ll be back later w/ our FP. Natalie has decided that she doesn’t want to ride Soarin’ anymore because it hurts her ears.

We go on the Living with the Land – always a good time. This was walk on the boat of course.

Next is Living Seas w/ Nemo. Winding through this cue is always MUCH longer than waiting. We actually walk onto the ride. We then high tail it for our turn inside of Bruce’s mouth for a picture. And after a bathroom break, we leave towards Figment. One of girls’ favorites. Figment is walk on as well. And after, we make our own Figments and email them home. After playing in some of the music areas, we get some pressed pennies (our mission on this trip was to fill up a pressed penny book) and I see a Disney Candyland game that would be great for Isabel for Christmas and it’s only $15 – the Monopoly was $40. So, I make a note to get that later during our trip.

I notice that I missed a call while in Figment so, I see its from my doctor. So, I call about my results from a CT Scan I had 3 days before we left and glad to hear its nothing. While I’m on the phone, DH decides it’s time for a popcorn break and he gets popcorn for everyone. By the time I’m done on the phone, the popcorn is almost gone and I get 2 bites. So, off we go to head towards Test Track. But, the Jamminators come out and we watch them. While their show is going on, Chip and Dale come out right behind them so, we line up for Chip and Dale.

We seemed to be thirsty after Chip and Dale so, what better place to quench your thirst that Ice Station Cool. Chris and I do not allow our kids to have pop so, this was a real reach for our parental strings. We let them sample 3 or 4 of the flavors. And neither girl finished any of the flavors. After the 3rd flavor, they both were done and didn’t want anymore. Natalie asked for water. Chris and I telepathically high-five since they don’t like pop (well, they learn to sip on Sprite from their refillable mugs by the time the trip is over).

Once we are done at Ice Station Cool, we go towards WS pass the fountain. We watch the cranberry pit, get some free cranraisins. At this point, our FP for Soarin’ was up. Natalie was venomous about not wanting to ride so, Chris stayed with her while Isabel and I went to ride Soarin’ 2x since Natalie didn’t want to ride.

After our 2 rides, Isabel and I ran over to Test Track to get FP for a 4:30pm return. We walk the bridge over by the Baby Center and met Chris and Natalie in the same spot – a bench across the way from the water splash area. We head towards Mexico and stop at Australia to start sampling the F&W offerings. I get 4 shrimp on the barbies and a Moscato for me. Moscato is nice! Shrimp was more peppery than I was expecting. Isabel didn’t like it so, Natalie ate hers. Kids are saying that they are hungry and Chris doesn’t want to eat a lot since we will be going to Cape May Café Buffet soon. So, we stop at Cantina and get some guac and chips. I get a passion fruit frozen margarita. YUMMY. That was the end of ordering adult drinks on this trip. I just didn’t think of it since I had a bottle of wine in the room. We ate our guac outside under the gazebo. This really is one prime spot for Illuminations. But, I’m sure you’d have to stake your claim by about 6:30 or so to keep your table.

We moved on… It was rather hot (high humidity and probably 85 or so) so, we went to Mexico to ride the boats. The kids like that ride and we shop a little. We walk over to Norway but, the Maelstrom is at 35 minute wait and the ride was just announced down so, we passed. We stop at Karamel and let me say how HEAVENLY it smells in that place. As soon as you enter, you are enveloped in the smell of angels. Isabel is napping in the stroller by this time so, Natalie and I pick out some treats. I get a milk chocolate caramel nugget, a caramel apple cut in slices and a bag of premade caramel corn (this is manufactured in a facility that uses all kinds of nuts and EGGS. – WHY DID I STILL BUY THIS I’LL NEVER KNOW – I think the caramel scent intoxicated me to the point of stupid).

It’s about 4:00pm ish and we decide to ride Spaceship Earth before walking to Beach Club via the International Gateway entrance. We end up riding Spaceship Earth 2 times. The first time Isabel is still sleeping on me. The 2nd time, she’s fully awake and playing along. Actually, the second time, Natalie and Isabel rode in front of Chris and I. We were all out of sorts since Chris and I are actually riding together. Is this a sweet taste of what will happen as the kids get older? OMGosh… the kids are riding by themselves. Then I start to panic, what if the ride stops and they fall out or try to get out and fall all the way down to the bottom of the golf ball???? Do you see the dark place my head goes to sometimes? I talk myself off of the ledge and no one fell into a pit of despair and we all arrived safely back onto the moving platform.

It is nearing our ADR time and DH thinks we’ll be late. We walk over to the Beach Club and it really is not that far of a walk. I think DH and I fell in love with the ambiance, proximity to parks, sandy beach to play, the pirate ship, pool, very “beachy” feel (I know – ironic isn’t it). People passing by doing their evening jog, others on the bike/cart things. We walked around a bit and then walked into the lobby. The lobby isn’t as big/grand as others but, it is very quaint and reminds me of a mini-Grand Floridian. I can’t believe how cute it seems. Chris and I look at each other and immediately we know that we want to try to stay here or on the Boardwalk somewhere next year.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We check- in for our Clam Bake and are seated fairly quickly. See my review of the restaurant in my dining review coming soon. After our bellies are very, very full, we walk around the resort a little and begin our walk back to the World Showcase. It’s about 7pm when we get through the gates here. Very, very relaxed going through the gate. Another plus for us… getting in the park the “secret” way. We make our way to our secret Illuminations spot. We go to the left side of Duffy the Bear store and sure enough, there is no one standing next to the handicap reserved seating. So, I park our strollers right against the railing and position everything to reserve space for the 4 of us and for my BFF if I could just get a hold of her. It’s about 7:45 at this time.

Since our FP for Test Track was way overdue, Chris and Isabel head over there while Natalie venomously says she doesn’t like that ride because it’s too loud and windy (do you see a pattern here?). So, Natalie and I have some alone time and talk about the day and reserve our spots.

People start arriving and shoving and pushing, but, I HOLD MY GROUND! I finally get a hold of my BFF and they said that they were on the bridge by Test Track and will just watch from there. ARE YOU KIDDING???? You won’t see anything!! So, they fight the crowd (this is about 8:40ish) and they get over to us just as Chris and Isabel make it. I have been telling people waiting next to us that I was reserving spots for several people and the ones that were last minute are giving me mean looks. HEY, I WAS HERE FOR OVER AN HOUR AND WARNED EVERYONE THAT I HAD PEOPLE COMING HERE! Then all these last minute people tried shoving their way into our little crevice. They acted like they didn’t speak English. But, what they don’t realize is that I speak their language. So, in their language, I told the old ninnies to move since they were covering the kids view and we had been waiting for over an hour. You just never know that the person next to you can speak your language whether they “look” like they can speak it or not. (ok, off my soapbox…)

It began to sprinkle or more like mist about ½ way through Illuminations. So, we start to put on Ponchos. This is the first time in 4 years that we’ve had to break open the ponchos. I’ve been packing these things every year and we finally use them. Once Illuminations is done, we head for the car with the tail end of the masses of people. My BFF was so appreciative of the spot I saved. They got some great camera shots. She thanked me for giving all this insight. They would have missed almost the entire thing if they didn’t come up. Love that we can share this place with our friends and family!

By the time we get to the car, it’s no longer raining and we take off our ponchos.

9:47pm we pull into the AKL Kidani garage. Ahhhhhh… we’re home. Day one is a success.

11:10pm Kids are bathed and snoring. Chris and I follow suit not long after. There is a predicted tropical storm. So far it’s not raining and animals are still out (we can hear things moving in the dark and munching on grass). If it is raining, we’ll just poncho it up at DHS and hopefully be the only crazies out there!
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely Epcot day!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I never did get my pick a pearl. So, on my Disney bucket list it remains.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_and_Chris View Post
    …..(this is manufactured in a facility that uses all kinds of nuts and EGGS. – WHY DID I STILL BUY THIS I’LL NEVER KNOW – I think the caramel scent intoxicated me to the point of stupid).
    Been there, done that. We have never been bitten by anything prepackaged but it is always nerve-racking when we take that calculated chance isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_and_Chris View Post
    …OMGosh… the kids are riding by themselves. Then I start to panic, what if the ride stops and they fall out or try to get out and fall all the way down to the bottom of the golf ball???? Do you see the dark place my head goes to sometimes
    I do that just about every day!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Glad the CT was okay, sounds like a lovely day at Epcot

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!! My little one is tall enough to go on Soarin' as well now---didn't even think about it being loud!! I think I'll add earplugs, ear muffs or something to the suitcase! Cranberry Pit? Is this new this year?
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynnek View Post
    Thanks for the report!! My little one is tall enough to go on Soarin' as well now---didn't even think about it being loud!! I think I'll add earplugs, ear muffs or something to the suitcase! Cranberry Pit? Is this new this year?
    I know right!!! Of all the things that Natalie is scared of, it's the loud booms in the rides.

on the bridge to the World Showcase from Future World, there is a cranberry "pit". Not sure if that's the word for it. But, like the Cranberry juice commercials with the guys standing in the cranberry pool, it is the same thing. There are a few people standing in the cranberry pit mixing it up with a large broom looking rake thing and answering questions. Off to the side, there is a white stand (looks like a DVC stand) where they give away cranraisin samples.

We had no idea why the cranberries are put in a pool/pit thing and learned alot from the people working the cranberry pit. It was interesting. And of all the things, I forgot to take a picture of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Olivia's favorite snack ever is Craisins--at 3 yrs old. Her brother will run for free samples if he can use her snack credits at F&W. Following your trip report closely, we leave in a few days and am having a few "lightbulb" moments reading--earplugs/muffs being one
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: