Quantcast 'If you were in my shoes' ADR question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'If you were in my shoes' ADR question

I am arriving at 6:30pm my first day of my trip. I am debating whether to eat somewhere in Epcot if we have time (it closes at 9), make ADRs at Ohana for later (9:45) just in case things run late, or just not risk it at all and eat at Pop Century when we get there (not all too exciting, but safe).

What are my chances of any of these options? If I can remember, ME takes about an hour at the most to get to resorts...

What would you do?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know for our first day arrivals we don't usually do parks, unless we are there extra early. Like our last trip, we were to MCO by 10 am. But if you do decide EPCOT, there are plenty of places to eat. Ohana late is another thing we planned last trip, but found we were too tired. You can never go wrong eating at POP's food court. Especially if they are doing one of their "Mamas night out" dinners. Then with some tyedye cheesecake...
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I second that. We are also getting in on our first night about that time. We will eat at POP and get settled in to hit the MK bright and early for our first morning. My kids are aready used to that plan, we always eat at our hotel if we have an evening arrival. Too many variables with the travel for us to hve an ADR that night. Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Three hours from touchdown is my rule. Don't plan anything within three hours of touchdown.

It once took us over an hour and 1/2 to check-in at Pop. My first and last time staying there. That was also the night we ate vending machine chips and bottle soda for supper.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just do counter service either at the resort or DTD...

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Oops! I guess I'm in the minority. I'd go for it! If you have park passes on the day you arrive, or an AP, I'd take my chances and try to get in at Epcot if you'd like, and if you don't, I think 'Ohanas is a great choice. I'm so ready to begin my vacations when I arrive, I'd really want to do something! If you have little kids though, it's probably not practical. If it's adults, heck, go for it!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

We don't do parks or reservations on our first day either. It works for us because we like to relax after traveling (we drive).

Post Thanks / Like

If it were us, Ohana for sure.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I would eat at the hotel. I learned the hard way last time we went to WDW. We flew all day and got to our room about 3:30. By the time we settled in, the kids were so tired they fell asleep. Yes, my teenagers fell asleep leaving me to sit around and do nothing for 3 hours. When they finally woke up, they ate at our hotel and went back to sleep. I think the anticipation of going, being too excited to sleep the night before, and the long plane ride made them too tired to do anything.
    Jodi ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You could also book something on the Boardwalk its not a bad walk out the back of Epcot.
    Next trip Oct. 2013 Yatch Club Resort club level

Post Thanks / Like

Eat at a Hotel- Cape May is so calm at night- or Beaches and Cream, anyplace on Boardwalk - or maybe even one of the places at Swan or Dolphin - there are alot of good places for night one-

We did Chef Mickey the last time and that was great late, calmer, less noise.

We also did Cape May on a recent short trip- its great at night.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

We ate at our hotel last time (Cape May) and this time we will eat at POR (Boatwrights). This way we don't feel rushed, we get a chance to explore the resort and can get in a late night swim or hot tub which we all love!

What great choices you have though - have fun deciding!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I always use the first day to establish myself at the "home" resort, so if in this case that's Pop Century, that's what I would do. Of the other options, I'd play it safe and stick with the later reservations at Ohana.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help, everyone! I think I am going to go with a late-night ADR at Ohana, and a nice walk on the beach afterwards. In terms of transportation (especially with the new monorail hours), MK closes at 8pm that night, so the monorail is done at 9pm? I will probably have to take the DTD bus to the Pop bus, would that be the best route?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I would just splurge for a cab back to the hotel. It will be late, you will have had a good dinner. Just take a cab, less than $20 well spent. The bell services attendant can grab you one at the door.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're arriving so late, I would use a counter service and save the TS. That means you could eat at a 2 TS restaurant another day and might enjoy it more.

Post Thanks / Like

You've posted that you're planning on 'Ohana... personally, I'd head over to DTD and have dinner over there and get a good rest for a bright and early morning at the parks the next day. But if you are going to head over to the Poly, definitely grab a cab back to Pop. The last thing I'd want to do on my travel day would be to deal with even more transportation.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

On our day (night) of arrival we tend to head to DTD and often eat at Wolfgang Puck's Express. WPE counts as a counter service saving a table service to use later for Signature Dining, assuming you are using the dining plan.

If you are really tired from your travels, stay close and eat at your Resort and rest up for the next day.

Hope this helps.

Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Owner since '98)

2011 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
    2010 - BWV - Valentine's Day
    2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
    2008 - BWV (2)
    2007 - BWV
    2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
    2005 - HH, BWV (2)
    2003 - BWV
    2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
    2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
    2000 - BWV
    1999 - BWV, HH, VB
    1998 - BWV, Swan

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on where you are eating your other meals for the trip. It might be fun to start your trip at Epcot, especially if there is somewhere you wanted to try in the WS that wasn't going to fit into your other plans. Remember that you're going to have to check in, take a bus to the park, and walk from the front of the park to the restaurant, so that will be the only thing you get to do at Epcot that night. (Or at any other park you go to that night. The exception would be if there are EMHs on your arrival night.)

If this seems like too much to do but you still want a "special" dinner, I'd visit DTD... maybe at a CS place. Otherwise, I'd play it safe and visit the food court.

I'd be tempted to make an ADR at Epcot. You can always cancel if something happens while you're traveling (or if you are just too tired when you arrive!)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: