Quantcast ? staying at value night before vacation starts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? staying at value night before vacation starts

Has anyone done this? or is it more work than it's worth?

Traditionally we have gone to disney for 7 nights, stayed at an airport hotel the night before for an early flight. Even w/ getting to our resort at 1030 or so, that first day seems like a wash. We are all tired and end up just hanging by the pool etc. So I was thinking about going a day early, flying late morning/early afternoon so we are not up at 4am, staying at a value resort for 1 night, then check in to the BC in the am and hit the parks. Is this crazy?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all! You're at Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

We've done this at least once or twice, though, typically, we have arrived a couple of days before we've switched over to our main reservation. I know we stayed at Pop on one occasion. It was very easy, overall. We checked in but didn't bother to unpack only pulling out what we needed for our short stay. When we were ready to move to our next resort, we just grabbed our bags and a cab, checked in at our new resort, got settled in and were on our way (Disney will transport your bags for you but they might arrive later in the day than you would like)
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, do it. WIth Disney moving your bags it is easier to make the move from a value to your main reservation than it is moving from a non Disney hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree go for it. Years ago we used to stay one night off property and then move onto property the next morning but later found out that was a complete waste of what could be a good night at Disney. Being at the Value resort the first night just enhances the "WE ARE HERE" feeling and we usually make a trip to Downtown Disney or another resort just to eat. It gives us a chance to rest before hitting the parks and that first night is pretty exciting just being "home". Like Faline said it is extremely easy the next morning to move. If you are not driving then just pack your bags and leave them by the air conditioner and hit luggage on your resort phone and let them know where they are going. Then just head to the parks and return back to your new resort in the afternoon where your bags will be waiting for you. If you are driving just go to your new resort and they will store your bags if the room isn't ready. We've done it many times!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

We have done it before. Disney makes it very easy since they will transfer your things. Have fun.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

We do this very often and its never been a problem. However, we drive so that makes a move easy. I pack a small overnight bag so that we only need to take that one bag out of the car that first night. We often arrive in WDW around midnight. In the past we've stopped on the way to WDW, but its funner to wake up in WDW and have a full first day. We also almost always end up adding another night at the end of our trips. This is the main reason we like driving. We can arrive early and stay later if we want.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We do this every year. We find if very easy and a terrific way to recharge before we hit the parks the next day. Plus we get the added benefit of enjoying and exploring another Disney resort while we relax.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

I have done this before and it is very easy. We stayed at ASMovies (room only) for one night before going to CBR to start our package. Had Disney move our luggage over.

In August we stayed with our friends for one night at OKW before moving to AKL. Both times we packed what we needed in one overnight bag. Again had Disney transfer our luggage. No problems.

I will most likely be doing this next October staying at a value for one or two nights before moving into our DVC unit.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We are actually doing this in reverse! We are staying for two nights at a moderate (great room only discount) and then moving to a value for the majority of our stay! This way we get to "try out" a moderate for a couple of days to see how it is and if we like it and then we are going to ASMovie for the main part of our stay. We are going to fly early afternoon and will probably get to hotel around 5 pm or so on arrival day so we plan to just head to the resort to eat, do some exploring and get settled in. Sat. we plan to hit DTD, do some shopping and eating and then back to the hotel for hopefully some swimming and down time in the hot tub! Then we will move to Movies on Sunday and begin our "actual" park part of the vaca! We are super excited to try out a new hotel and just kick back and relax for a little bit which is something we have never done at Disney before! I am already so excited I can hardly sleep! 69 more days!!!

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan328 View Post
    We are actually doing this in reverse! We are staying for two nights at a moderate (great room only discount) and then moving to a value for the majority of our stay! This way we get to "try out" a moderate for a couple of days to see how it is and if we like it and then we are going to ASMovie for the main part of our stay. We are going to fly early afternoon and will probably get to hotel around 5 pm or so on arrival day so we plan to just head to the resort to eat, do some exploring and get settled in. Sat. we plan to hit DTD, do some shopping and eating and then back to the hotel for hopefully some swimming and down time in the hot tub! Then we will move to Movies on Sunday and begin our "actual" park part of the vaca! We are super excited to try out a new hotel and just kick back and relax for a little bit which is something we have never done at Disney before! I am already so excited I can hardly sleep! 69 more days!!!
    This is what my SIL and her family have started doing. They don't like the idea of spending so much money on their resort, but still want to experience as many resorts as they can. They never do the parks on day one. They've started staying their first night in a deluxe resort, then moving to a moderate for the rest of their trip. They spend time at the pool, dine at the resort enjoy everything their resort has to offer. Its a great way to rest up for the rest of the week, and experience a new resort.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We drove the last 2 trips, both times arriving a day before our ressie.
    We would stay off site for that 1 night. We stopped at Knights Inn on 192 just outside of WDW, and the cost for that night was under $40.
    Next AM, we checked out, had breakfast off site , then checked in to our resort.
    It works for us.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

If I was arriving at 10:30 a.m., I consider that a whole park day wasted just hanging around resort. But we are park commandos. I don't care if we'd been up half the night before getting there, we'd be too excited to miss hitting the parks. You know you can add an extra day onto your parks passes for only $7 dollars per person? Even if you wanted to rest most of the day, you could still hit a park in the evening and catch Illuminations or Wishes. I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'm more likely to chill out at the hotel AFTER 7 days at the parks, but not on my first day a WDW.

But no, if you want to relax at the resort your first day, you are not crazy. I would be, but you are not.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: