Quantcast Haunted Mansion: I Can't Take the Frustration!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Haunted Mansion: I Can't Take the Frustration!

The Haunted Mansion is our family's consensus favorite ride in all of WDW. It's probably because my DD8 LOVES that ride. We just returned from 11 WONDERFUL days in Disney. On our trip we managed at least five trips to the Magic Kingdom. Not full days, but we would find a way to get there at some point. For example, one day we went to the Hoop de Doo. Then, we took the boat ride back to the Magic Kingdom and took advantage of EMH until midnight. Another visit was the MNSSHP. On each visit, we rode HM at least once and on many days, two or more times. In all, about eight or nine rides this trip.
    WE WERE NEVER ABLE TO RIDE THE COMPLETE RIDE WITHOUT STOPPING AT SOME TIME FOR "PLAYFUL SPOOKS" EVEN ONE TIME!
    We went 0'fer the entire trip on a "clean ride." Once, our Doombuggy was stopped twice during the ride, as well as once just as we were about to board. On another ride, we were seconds away from exiting when we were delayed for about 15 minutes. The suspension of belief was removed on every visit. It was heartbreaking. Anyone else encountering this? Of was this just a bad-luck vacation?
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At lease a few of your stops may have been due to handicapped boarding and un-boarding.

Post Thanks / Like

On our 2010 trip, we experienced a lot of ride stoppages, most of which happened on Splash Mountain. I agree, it does take away from the experience.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

We must be the fortunate ones because out of our probably 100's of HM rides we have NEVER had a stoppage.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a mix of both over the years. It does kinda take away from storytelling aspect of the ride when it has to be stopped. It's like the ride's way of saying, "Hey, the narrator can't be here all the time. He had to take a quick bathroom break." hehe BUT, I will say that it's at those times that I start really looking around at the scene I was stopped in, trying to take in as much of the details as possible b/c let's face it, you DON'T get many opportunities like that. So if you get stopped again, try looking at it at that perspective. You might learn to like getting stopped in the middle then.
    28 times to WDW and still going since 1984!! Most recent visit: November/December 2011...Far too long since my last visit! :'(

Personally, I believe it didn't start with a mouse. It started with a man that had one of the greatest imaginations in this world.

Post Thanks / Like

two of the last three times I've ridden it, the ride has "stopped temporarily". Before then it had never done so with me on it.

Still, I actually like stopping on it. It's like I get extra time on the ride...more than the average person. Plus more time to stop and look at the little details I might have missed. And on a hot day a nice little extra time cooling off!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

LAst trip, just on one time riding we were stopped 5 times for a few minutes each time. One of those times was about 10 minutes. Aggrivating to say the least.

But other times it stops for about a minute then resumes.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really, Frustraion, Bad Luck, Disappointment

I find your post unbelievable. Everyone who rides any ride anywhere has experienced delays, stoppages, etc. If this is all you experienced to ruin your trip, I think you should refocus on the millions of events that went well, relax and try to enjoy WDW.
    Last edited by CanadianWDWFan; 10-31-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Personal comments

Post Thanks / Like

I dont recall anyone saying it ruined their trip. I think you are reading way too much into what people are saying.

But I guess here we go again
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of us playful spooks love the Haunted Mansion as well
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post
    I find your post unbelievable. Everyone who rides any ride anywhere has experienced delays, stoppages, etc. If this is all you experienced to ruin your trip, I think you should refocus on the millions of events that went well, relax and try to enjoy WDW.
    I don't think they said it ruined their trip, just kind of got in the way of immersing themselves in the storyline because of all the interruptions and just wanted to vent about the frustration of that. I too have been stopped more than usual on the HM and it does take away from the story if you are stopped for a while or in certain areas of the ride. I do agree it can be nice if you are able to take in more of your favorite scenes though. Once, it stopped 2-3 times in the graveyard scene and I hate those pop up things!!!!!!! Even though I know exactly when they will pop up, it still gives me a little scream LOL.
    Last edited by CanadianWDWFan; 10-31-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: editing out quoted post

Post Thanks / Like

In all my trips...I have never been on the haunted mansion when it DIDN"T stop....

Post Thanks / Like

Riding any ride eight times on a trip and having it break down each time would certainly be an annoyance to most folks and the accumulative effect of those breakdowns is likely worthy of others being tolerant of a bit of hyperbole in the OP's rant.

On a side note, the HM is actually the one of the rides where I enjoy an occasional breakdown ---for if they are in the right spots they give you time to look at small details you might otherwise miss and of course the chance to search for some always fun to find hidden mickeys.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Riding any ride eight times on a trip and having it break down each time would certainly be an annoyance to most folks and the accumulative effect of those breakdowns is likely worthy of others being tolerant of a bit of hyperbole in the OP's rant.
    More than likely, the majority of the OP's stops on HM were for loading/unloading purposes. This happens on every continuous moving ride at WDW. People with motility issues need extra time to get on and off, hence the ride needing to be stopped for safety.

I can see how being stuck for over 5 min at a time would be an annoyance, especially if it happened very often. However, I do not think the OP has a realistic idea of how the continuous moving rides have to function. This happens on Spaceship Earth all the time too.

OP, sorry you came away frustrated. However, it's sort of par for the course on that ride. Like most people, this is one ride where I do not mind being stopped. It's cool, dark, and the seat is comfy!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed teh extra few minutes in the ballroom scene- I like to look all over and try to see if I notice anything I hdan't before. But yes, several stops do take away. I don't think there is anything they can do about it most of the time since as others have mentioned, it's mostly due to helping those with mobility issues get on/off.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Because it's an Omnimover attraction a lot of HM's stops are due to loading/unloading guests who require additional time to board.

It's funny ... I actually really like when this ride stops, because it gives me more time to check out all the details of whatever scene we're in. I get a bit disappointed when we don't get stuck.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember the last time I rode HM and there wasn't a stop. It's so common, in fact, that we make a game out of it and try to guess exactly where we'll be when it stops. We consider it a major win when we get stopped while going downhill backward into the graveyard!!!

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever had a non-stop ride either... Never let it get to me though, just makes a longer ride in the A/C
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has changed their boarding/unboarding policy a bit recently with HM so that may result in more stops for loading and unloading guests with mobility issues.

Both of my legs are paralyzed below the knee but I can get around some with a walker or lofstrand crutches. In the past I'd been allowed to just fold the walker up and put it in the ride vehicle without even having to stop the moving walkway. The current way they do things however is to take the walker (or other assistive device) from you when you board and then it's waiting outside the archway at the exit. That works great at a ride like Spaceship earth where the cast members at the exit have a system for knowing which ride vehicle needs the assistive device (they're usually bringing it to me before the door has even opened and without me saying a thing), but they haven't figured it out at HM yet. When I get to the end the CM usually asks me to please exit the vehicle a few times and I have to tell them that I can't walk one foot with two paralyzed legs, let alone 30 to get to where they put my walker (I promise I say it nicely )

When I called Disney to ask why the change had happened, they said people with canes/crutches/walkers were somehow managing to drop them during the ride and that was resulting in longer stoppages because a CM had to be sent into the particular scene to retrieve it. Not sure that really passes the "seriously?" common sense test, but it's what they said.

So in short, more stoppages for mobility issues due to the new policy is probably what you're noticing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post
    No one said it ruined our vacation. In fact, in my second sentence I state we spent 11 WONDERFUL days in Disney.

My comment was regarding riding our favorite ride at least eight or nine times and not getting a clean ride once. It became a game my daughter and I played regarding getting through ride without stopping.
    Last edited by CanadianWDWFan; 10-31-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Editing quoted post and comment towards quoted post
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness