Quantcast Disney unveils Princess Sofia, aimed at toddlers

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney unveils Princess Sofia, aimed at toddlers

Disney unveils Princess Sofia, aimed at toddlers. Why couldn't she be a mathematician?
    by Kate Ward

When I was a young girl, I loved princesses. How could I not? They were gorgeous, sparkly, and talked to small furry animals. But I also loved rock stars (thanks to my gorgeous and sparkly Barbie and the Rockers doll), tiny horses (thanks to my gorgeous and sparkly ponies on My Little Pony), and, for a short period of time, Pee-wee’s Playhouse‘s Miss Yvonne. (Hey, she was sparkly.)

My point is, young girls will love anything covered in pastel hues and sold on a TV screen. So I can’t help but feel a bit dismayed that Disney is banking on the success of a new character aimed at 2- to 7-year-old girls, Princess Sofia. According to the New York Times, Sofia — pictured above — will star in her own TV series, Sofia the First, and film. It’s a character that makes sense within the confines of Disney, a company that owes a large portion of its success to its Princess line, which stretches all the way back to 1937′s Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. But it’s also a disturbing character to see grabbing the spotlight in our modern world, which rightly prides itself on bucking gender stereotypes.

Disregard the fact that Sofia looks like a Toddlers & Tiaras beauty queen. Even disregard the fact that this young princess looks caked in more makeup than your typical Beverly Hills Housewife. All of that matters much less than the simple fact that Sofia only continues to sell dangerous, out-of-date gender norms: Young girls should aspire to be beautiful, dependently wealthy, and the object of affection for a future Prince Charming. And, of course, to Disney’s credit, kind-hearted. As Disney Junior Worldwide’s Nancy Kanter told the Times, “What makes a real princess is what’s inside, not what’s outside … We saw girls have an instant relatability to this character.”

That’s what I’m worried about. It was bad enough that young girls of yore hoped to become beautiful Sleeping Beauties waiting for their one, life-saving kiss when they grew up. With Sofia, young girls might hope to become beautiful princesses… right now. The small screen is already overrun by shows like Hannah Montana and iCarly, in which girls live their lives as famous, high-profile figures. Sofia the First will show a girl living her life as a diamond-clad princess. Not only is it an unattainable image for toddlers and young girls — who, let’s face it, should just focus on being kids — but it’s also unnecessary. Yes, girls love princesses. But they’d also love, for example, a young math-loving character who also enjoys wearing a bedazzled top or two.

Believe it or not, it’s not about the princesses. It’s about the packaging. Heck, even the ugliest toys in history, Troll dolls, appealed to young girls through their jewel-encrusted belly buttons. And it’s easy to sell an intelligent non-princess character — we fell in love with Beauty & the Beast‘s impoverished, literature-loving Belle long before she put on that majestic yellow dress. (In fact, as a youngster, I remember thinking the most beautiful thing about Beast was not the dress, but Belle’s library.) Disney simply doesn’t have to rely on its princess-obsessed history to appeal to young girls. What appeals to girls most is being told they can do anything when they grow up, tiara not required. Here’s hoping Sofia takes a page from her more ambitious, awesome cousin over at Nick Jr., Dora the Explorer, and soon learns that brains are the thing that will help you travel far.

Anyone else disturbed by Sofia?
    So, what do you all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Melanie; 12-13-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added pic
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If I've said it a thousand times, I've said it a thousand times: I'm glad I have boys!

Honestly, I find this to be deplorable.

Enough already with the princess garbage!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't really get it? I swear sometimes I don't think Disney understands its own demographics!

The actual princesses (i.e. Snow White, Belle, Airel, etc.) only appeal to 2-7 year old girls! The minute my oldest DD reached first grade princesses became decidedly uncool, so what they just decided to make up a new one? Without even wrapping a movie around her or anything?

Weird ... don't get it ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

And before someone says it ... yes, I know princesses don't only appeal to 2-7 year old girs and that some grownups still love them blah blah blah ... that's not my point.

My point is they appear to look at a 2-7 demo as being too young for their current princess line (otherwise why add this new one specifically targeted to that demo), when in reality that's the prime age slot for their current stable.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I don't know why they need a new princess.
    However with that said, I find the author of the article to have some issues with princesses and girly things. She seems a bit bitter for some reason and it comes out loud and clear in her writing.

And personally I can't stand Dora the Explorer. Something about that show makes me insane.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
    However with that said, I find the author of the article to have some issues with princesses and girly things. She seems a bit bitter for some reason and it comes out loud and clear in her writing.
    Agreed! I was myself wondering who Kate Ward is and where this article originates from.

That said, not having a child in this demographic, this really won't affect me, and I see the merchandise just being merged in with all the other Princess stuff at Disney (aka all the stores and sections of stores I don't visit anyway).

But I do agree it's a bit overkill.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...let Ms. Mode be the first to stand up for the "Princess"!

Most young girls like to play with dolls and pretend they are a princess....get over it...please!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, some of you say that princesses appeal to the 2-7 yr old demographics......that's a lie - the appeal to girls and WOMEN of all ages. Deep down inside - ALL women want to be the princess and all want our prince to come and win our hearts.

This will do well. They have the ability to make this good without the drivel of steroetypes.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4 year old who is head-over-heels ga-ga for everything princess. She is already immersed in everything related to Disney Princesses, and has been for a few years now.
    But I don't really see the need for another princess tossed in them mix: the only difference is that this one will be a child princess as opposed to the grown up characters that are the common princesses now. It just means that my kid is gonna want one more princess thing now with Sofia branding on it just because she is like a moth to a flame with princess stuff.

I come from a marketing background, so these are my first questions. What about this Sofia character is different than any of the others, besides her age? Why should we embrace this character when it's the same wash/rinse/repeat princess line as always? Don't get me wrong, I love the Disney Princesses, always have. And I loved the direction they were going with Rapunzel, where she opts to take care of herself, albeit with a frying pan! But what is the appeal here? It's just another princess thrown into the mix and diluting their princess brand. How many more princesses do we need?

My guess is, because they sell a TON of the current Disney princess dolls that are of babies (like a baby Ariel, baby Belle, baby Jasmine, etc.) that someone got the bright idea that a baby princess movie/show would be a big hit.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Agreed! I was myself wondering who Kate Ward is and where this article originates from.
    Kate Ward is an entertainment editor at Entertainment Weekly.

I am really not sure why so many people find the idea of princesses so horrible and I say that as someone who went to a decidedly feminist women's college. When I was younger I could worry about "outdated gender norms" with the best of them. As I have grown older and had children (a boy and a girl), I have realized that children are going to be attracted to what they are attracted to.

We had a house full of boy toys and neutral toys but my daughter started asking for dolls on her own. I think that sometimes people forget that as parents we have enormous influence on our children and we can let our daughters watch princesses and still teach them to be self sufficient.

I looked up Princess Sofia and it doesn't sound horrible. Another report said it is about a girl whose mother marries a king in a storybook world and becomes a princess.

Now as a parent whose kids want everything they see, do I think Disney needs another princess. Well, no, but I certainly understand that every new item they come up with is an opportunity to sell a new item.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    Deep down inside - ALL women want to be the princess and all want our prince to come and win our hearts.
    That is a massive generalization. I am a woman, and I feel about as far from that as possible. I am happily married to my soul mate of 13 years, who didn't just appear on a white horse to whisk me away...I had to chase HIM down. And, my life is about as far from that of a princess as you can get. But, I am happy as can be.

Not everybody subscribes to the "fantasy" aspiration. When I was a little girl, I used to be famous for saying "I'm never getting married or having kids...ever!" I was a huge tomboy...still am.

The same way that I hate Disney's "every boy wants to be a Pirate" thing, I hate their assumption that "every girl wants to be a princess."
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    Okay, some of you say that princesses appeal to the 2-7 yr old demographics......that's a lie - the appeal to girls and WOMEN of all ages. Deep down inside - ALL women want to be the princess and all want our prince to come and win our hearts.
    I'd hardly call it "a lie." I have three daughters, so it's not like I'm speaking out of turn. My oldest daughter is 9 and princesses are poison to her and her friends. She hates them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I come from a marketing background, so these are my first questions. What about this Sofia character is different than any of the others, besides her age? Why should we embrace this character when it's the same wash/rinse/repeat princess line as always?
    Funny, I work in marketing as well and those were the exact thoughts I had when I first read this.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I am really not sure why so many people find the idea of princesses so horrible and I say that as someone who went to a decidedly feminist women's college. When I was younger I could worry about "outdated gender norms" with the best of them. As I have grown older and had children (a boy and a girl), I have realized that children are going to be attracted to what they are attracted to.
    I think the issue is that a lot of adults forget what it means to be a child. Children don't even know what "gender norms" are and they don't care. They like what they like.

Frankly, it makes me sad to think that any parent would deny their four year old girl the chance to dress up as a princess and wish for her prince to come simply because they (as an adult) have some hang-up about "gender norms."
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, well, obviously we all have some mixed and strong feelings about the princesses, pro and con. My own feelings are mixed. I think the article author has a definite bias, but I also think it would be a little disturbing if the princess is not presented in an age-appropriate way. I haven't seen Sofia, so I don't know.

I loved fairy tales growing up, still do, but I also loved that Belle and Mulan (to name a few) were portrayed as smart and strong and had more going on than being pampered or waiting to be saved by a prince. I think that's the kind of image princesses should portray in a modern world. If Princess Sofia was a budding math whiz, so much the better- how fun! We need more girls in math and science. But there's also nothing wrong with getting lost in a bit of fantasy- I still do that, too. So... I guess I will just have to wait and see how Sofia is marketed and portrayed before judging.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My dds' are 3 and 8 and love princesses and really just about anything Disney. Both girls are excited about the prospects of a new Disney Princess.

I think that the key point of the new princess is that she will be appearing on Disney Jr. I imagine that she will fall in the Disney Jr line of products and movies and will not get the same top billing as the other 10 princesses. It is the one key piece missing on Disney Jr. My oldest would complain when she was younger that there weren't any princess shows on Playhouse Disney. Now, they are filling that gap. I think it is a smart move on Disney's part.

I also feel that her staying power will be very short lived as most character branded shows never last more than a few short years. Prime examples are Bear and the Big Blue House, the Winnie the Pooh show that was on Playhouse, etc.

I think my 3 year old will love her and my oldest will watch briefly, and then get bored.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the article on another site with the picture of the character, and yes, the article author seems to be overreacting to me. Sofia does not look like she's caked in makeup or stepping out of Toddlers and Tiaras to me. She looks like many other cartoon depictions of girls that age, except for the fact that she's wearing a gown and is a princess. I'm not really outraged by this. Still depends on the depiction, but doesn't seem to be a really bad thing. I hope Disney portrays the character in a positive way.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I saw the article on another site with the picture of the character, and yes, the article author seems to be overreacting to me. Sofia does not look like she's caked in makeup or stepping out of Toddlers and Tiaras to me. She looks like many other cartoon depictions of girls that age, except for the fact that she's wearing a gown and is a princess. I'm not really outraged by this. Still depends on the depiction, but doesn't seem to be a really bad thing. I hope Disney portrays the character in a positive way.
    It will be interesting to see if my daughter likes it. She does loved her princesses but is just as likely to watch Dora, Phineas and Ferb or Peppa Pig (ugh!). She really liked Jake & the Neverland Pirates but barely watches it now.

And Belle was always my favorite. I loved that she was into books and adventure and not willing to settle for just anyone.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I just added a pic of Sofia to the original post.

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with princesses, but there is something wrong with having that be practically all you offer for girls. I'm glad I have boys.

And no princesses do not appeal to all women. Blech!
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

They cater to fantasy when it comes to boys, too, though. Pirates, talking cars, toys coming to life, Star Wars stuff. And lots of girls get into all that instead of the princesses, too. Especially, as Ian pointed out with his daughter (and the same happened with mine), maybe as they get older and view the princess attraction as kid stuff. The thing with girls is that I think most feel free to find something they like instead of sticking to strict gender roles. Lots of girls will love princesses. Some will prefer the pirates or Star Wars characters. The same is not usually true for boys. You won't find many boys admitting to a love for the princessy things, even though there might very well be a number of young male princess fans.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, this is such a hard topic for me to digest...

One reason is because not only was I a Woman's Studies minor in undergrad but I went to a Catholic, all women's college that was BIG on the "gender is a socially constructed concept, s-e-x is a biological construct" (we were very liberal and founded by a VERY liberal order of sisters). I've always struggled with this because I wasn't a particular "girly-girl" as a child, but I wasn't a tom boy either. Princesses weren't my thing (I did like and appreciate Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, etc) but I was more into the Disney heroines of Pochantas, Mulan, Belle (I know she is technically a Disney princess, but for the LONGEST time, she actually was not!). Belle was by far my favorite of them because she actually liked to read like me and she wasn't always the "kind, gentle one." I like the princesses, but I wasn't very ga-ga over them and when I was a kid, there wasn't as much hype about them as there is nowadays.

I'm going into academia and it's becoming very apparent Disney is HATED in academia, especially when you get into Gender Studies and the Gender History field. In terms of this article, the woman was very biased, in my opinion, but I can also understand how Princess Sofia (despite being so adorable) is overkill for this demographic. Not all little girls are into the princess thing and some boys even are! I think Disney is to a certain extent prescribing too much to the already prescribed gender norms we have in our culture (princesses for girls! pink and girly stuff! pirates and rough and tumble for boys!). At the same time, though, there should be an opportunity for little girls AND boys, if they choose to be into the princess thing and vice versa for the pirate thing.

All in all, I think it would be very nice if Sofia was your run of the mill little girls who liked the occasionally get dirty and then turn around be a princess the next. But, unfortunately, our culture doesn't always generally allow for this and it's one extreme or the other. All I know is, I'm going to try my best to teach my children (boys or girls) that's it's okay to be into something that is not of the "norm" for their gender--trying to raise them "gender neutral" if I can. Disney will make this job a bit harder, but I think it's really up to the parents to explain that's it's okay to not be into the princess thing and it's okay to be too.

I don't think I made any bit of sense here, expect for nonsensical rambling! I'm going to blame all the final papers I have due this week.
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: