Quantcast Disney unveils Princess Sofia, aimed at toddlers - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I just think they have enough princesses right now. Adding Rapunzel to the list already made the cast of princesses enormous. I get why they are doing it though, they need a heavily themed girl show on Disney Junior, especially if and when it moves to its own network. Right now its got some neutral shows, but then it has Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Handy Manny, which skew more towards boys
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    They cater to fantasy when it comes to boys, too, though. Pirates, talking cars, toys coming to life, Star Wars stuff. And lots of girls get into all that instead of the princesses, too. Especially, as Ian pointed out with his daughter (and the same happened with mine), maybe as they get older and view the princess attraction as kid stuff. The thing with girls is that I think most feel free to find something they like instead of sticking to strict gender roles. Lots of girls will love princesses. Some will prefer the pirates or Star Wars characters. The same is not usually true for boys. You won't find many boys admitting to a love for the princessy things, even though there might very well be a number of young male princess fans.
    I am so on the same page with you today, Sherri. I see this all the time with my children.

My daughter is 3 and she loves princess but has no problem watching The Incredibles or even Ben 10 with her brother and she will play cars just as easily as baby dolls.

My son is 6 and every time we wait in line for his sister to meet the princesses you would think I am torturing him. Funny thing is as soon as we get in, he loves the attention he gets from them.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I am over the Princesses. Enough. Seems like all of Disney is gearing toward little girls and just slightly little boys. Walt wanted Disney to be a place for all ages, a place where family's would enjoy going together.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    Honestly I am over the Princesses. Enough. Seems like all of Disney is gearing toward little girls and just slightly little boys. Walt wanted Disney to be a place for all ages, a place where family's would enjoy going together.
    I think that might be a bit of an over-generalization. All of the new Pixar films are geared to a more mature audience and that's really the bulk of the new material they've put into the marketplace in the last few years.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

OK maybe I had a mini melt down. I did over generalize.

I just feel that when I walk into the Disney store it is geared to young children 10 and under. I tried to find something to buy in the store when it opened recently in my mall but after an hour I left empty handed. And when I go the parks lately it seems to be more about the younger set then any of the other age groups.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Can't wait to see the character meet n greet for that one. Aren't there child labour laws???
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to this party, but I wish Disney would put more effort/money into creating better films or new park attractions. Yes, I totally love Pixar films. I'm not talking about those. But ,they don't need any more meet n greets at the park nor junky merchandise and PJs etc. Spend on things everyone can enjoy like the films and park attraction (they'll still make money! more people will go see the movie or visit the parks because of it) that a more diverse audience can enjoy. No one in my family is interested in princesses or in the toddler age group. How about money be allocated to fix the Yeti? OK I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think Disney should do something along the lines of American Girl. Focus more on different ethnicities and time periods, show girls who are smart and brave...they are on the right track with Mulan and Pocohontas and Princess and the Frog. Let's see more of that. Maybe an Hispanic heroine, maybe a Jewish heroine during (or just after) the Holocaust. I would love to see something like that. And, I would love to see more role models for boys as well.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: