Quantcast Big Family Trip - Dilemma

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Family Trip - Dilemma

So, my parents are taking my family of 4, my brother's family of 3 and my other brother's family of 5 to WDW in June! They broke the news to us over my Dad's birthday back in November and we were all so excited! I've booked ADR's and that's all I've planned! I've laid out the days of EMH and the times of our ADR's for everyone going. Other than that, everyone is pretty much on their own! I'm not trying to cram in any and everything for everyone to do! I want each family to be able to enjoy WDW at their kids' pace! I definitely don't want to overwhelm anyone!

When we travel, I will have a 5 year old (who will turn 6 on the trip) and a 1 year old, one of my brother's will have a 5 year old and the other brother will have twin 2 year olds (they will turn 3 in August, so they'll be 33 months old) and a 10 month old. Now, my brother with the twins is talking about them not going because they don't think the twins are old enough. They also think that it will be really chaotic with 3 kids and trying to deal with naps, strollers on the buses, meal times, etc. I'm so sad! I know the twins would really enjoy it because they both love Disney characters, Disney Jr shows, etc.

Is there anything I can logically say to my brother and SIL to try to convince them otherwise? I think if they go through with the cancellation, they'll find that come time for the trip, they'll be kicking themselves for not agreeing to go. I am just hoping they decide to go because I know they will all have fun!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would tell him this trip is a gift from the grandparents who would be probably be very dissappointed if they don't come.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure this advice will work with your brother but you can spin it any way you can to fit your situation.....

We had an amazing pediatrician for our daughter. When she was about two he asked me if I was taking her to the park, the zoo, etc. I sheepishly said "No, she's only two." Disney lover that I am, I hadn't even taken her to Disney because I felt she was too young. He was a grandfatherly type and he gently admonished me for not exposing her to things she would enjoy. He told me that the human brain is an amazing thing. We have no idea how much it can absorb and how it processes new experiences. It was my job as a parent to expose her to as many positive, stimulating and enjoyable experiences as possible.

I think back to that commercial that was on television a few years back. The family doesn't want to go to Disney until their youngest can walk. They succumb to their older children's pressure and go anyway and the baby takes his first steps at Disney. I know it's just a commercial but what a picture for the scrapbooks!

We ended up taking our daughter to WDW about 6 months after that conversation with her doctor. It is filled with so many amazing memories for us. Yes, at 19 yrs old, she barely remembers that trip, if at all. But to this day, she loves looking at the photo album we have of that trip, her first trip to Disney.

Good luck! And I also agree with the previous poster. It's a trip your parents want to make happen. Let them!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it would be easier for him if the ADR's were taken out of the mix. I'm not sure if you booked them for your entire stay or just certain nights. You might just ask him if that's part of the problem, they may be more comfortable if scheduled meals are taken out of the equation even if it means CS.

I'm sure your parents are looking forward to it and will also be some extra hands to help them out. I hope it works out,
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Like I tell my friends who give me the "she's only going to be 18 months she won't remember".

Doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy things, and we enjoy watching her have fun....
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I always say:

You still celebrate their birthdays and Christmas when they're that young, right? Even though they're too young to remember what they got for Christmas or who was there for their birthday parties, right? It's because you do it for the family memories. Same with Disney. The chance to do something as a family, regardless of age, is sooo important.

My kids are 7 and 4, and they CONSTANTLY watch our old DVD's of trips to Disney when they were babies. They're fascinated by them.

And really, at 2 years old, they're not too young. They "get it". To them, that's the REAL Cinderella they're meeting. Tinkerbell is REALLY flying over the Magic Kingdom during Wishes. They'll see their 2 year old twins like never before. Trust me.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough I might argue it's not for the twins as much as your parents. They want to be in a place where their family is enjoying themselves... Do it for them! If they are anything like my parents, they just love being around their grandkids and here is a way to be around ALL of them and while it's geared towards the older ones, they will enjoy it no matter what, because you all are there!

The argument of the kids being too young? Yeah I have made it too, but it's really because we the parents don't want the hassle. The kids, even at 2 will have a blast if nothing more than chasing the ducks at Magic Kingdom

Dave
    • 1971- Inaugural visit!
    • 1984-Family Spring Break
    • 1989-EPCOT only
    • Disney Break!1990-94
    • 1996-Brother Trip
    • 1999-DF's first trip
    • 2000-Proposal to DF
    • 2001x3-Married/Wedding Pavillion
    • 2002-X2, Me&DW/Me&DB
    • 2003- Boy's trip
    • 2004-Me+Mom&Dad
    • 2005-Mom &Me
    • 2006x2-Daughter's first trip!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the arguments have already been covered. The concerns are real, screaming, cranky kids, over crowded buses, waiting in lines etc. It's all valid, but it can be managed.

You didn't specifically say it, but my assumption is that you are staying somewhere on property. I would use the argument, it's a free vacation, how much you want to go into the parks is up to you. If you are on property they can certainly take an easier pace, leave for the parks a little later when the buses aren't as crowded, leave midday and have the kids nap by the pool so that you can enjoy some quiet time. I'd point out that Disney isn't just about the parks, there is so much more to see and do.

The two year olds certainly won't remember the trip, but that doesn't mean that the parents won't.

All I'd need to hear is "free trip" and I'd be there no matter how many kids I had in tow!

Post Thanks / Like

Our first family trip to Disney was 10 years ago when my daughter (visually impaired) was 5 and my boys were 3. One of my boys has Aspergers (and was extremely sensitive to sounds, crowds, etc) while my other son has ADHD. We had a blast!!! My kids do remember that trip, by the way. Several years ago, our whole (extended) family went together. 2 of my nieces were only 1 year olds. They are both 5 now, and still love to look back at those Disney trip pictures. They also can't wait to go back. The nice thing about Disney, is that there is something for everyone, and everyone can take the day at their own pace. My Aspie son was perfectly content with watching the ducks swim or looking at the flowers. He stared at the manatees (that were recovering from injuries) at Epcot for hours. He hid under the table during our princess breakfast in Epcot (he was afraid the princesses were going to talk to him!). He even fell asleep during the Lion King show! Just because he didn't ride much does not mean he didn't have fun. Actually, he loved the vacation. In typical Aspie style, he went home and became an "expert" in manatees! Believe me, my kids were a handful at that age, and each "normal" day at home was a challenge for us. But our trip to Disney was fantastic! I'm so glad we went on that vacation, because those memories will be with all of us forever.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was 7 months the first time she went to Disney her eyes were so glued on everything to look at and when she got cranky she napped in the stroller, We took her back when she was 2 1/2 and still to this day at almost 5 she remembers everyday all the way down to the resort we stayed at. We just took it slow and when she needed a nap we went back to the room and let her nap, then even had a day we just stayed at the resort to let her swim while I did laundry. It was actually the most relaxing Disney trip we had ever had since we just paced ourselves even with ADRs through out the day.
    1985ish, 1991,1994
    2003 CBR took husband for first time "Honeymoon"
    2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2007 POR, 2009 All-Star Movies, 2010 Pop, 2012 May POP,
    2014 August 10-17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

My family would be more than happy to take your DB family's place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
    We had an amazing pediatrician for our daughter. When she was about two he asked me if I was taking her to the park, the zoo, etc. I sheepishly said "No, she's only two." Disney lover that I am, I hadn't even taken her to Disney because I felt she was too young. He was a grandfatherly type and he gently admonished me for not exposing her to things she would enjoy. He told me that the human brain is an amazing thing. We have no idea how much it can absorb and how it processes new experiences. It was my job as a parent to expose her to as many positive, stimulating and enjoyable experiences as possible.
    My sons doc told us the same thing. He told us the start taking my son to museums, restaurants, vacations when he was a baby. He said the more things he was exposed to at a young age the more things he would have an appreciation or tolerance for. He was right! When my son was at the age where other kids were running around in restaurants, my son sat there quitely and ate. When my son was at the age to watch Cartoon Network he had on the History Channel instead. He was 16 month old when we took him to Disney for the first time and he had a blast.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Like I tell my friends who give me the "she's only going to be 18 months she won't remember".

Doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy things, and we enjoy watching her have fun....
    You know, I had honestly never thought of it that way. Thanks for the valuable insight...my kids are now 13 and 19 but I'll remember it for my grandkids! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Thank you all for the awesome words! I have left the ball in their court! I relayed all of the sentiments felt here, so hopefully they will see that it will definitely be worth their while to go! Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, okay. DH and I have been big WDW fans for years and we always joked that the only reason we were having kids was to take them to WDW We took our 13.5 month old and he did have his first haircut, first steps first plane flight, first vacation, first mickey ears, etc and it was an amazing trip for him nonetheless. But it WAS kinda stressful at many times esp in the June heat. It's tricky keeping small kids cool, fed, entertained, rested, clean on a vacation. And he'll have a 10 month old? That is rough... I am all for taking children at any age but perhaps he is obviously really nervous about taking a bunch of small kids in the same group of a bunch of other small kids. Plus going in a big group is a whole other story and while I did enjoy it this past time... we will only be taking MIL next time.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Update!

Well, my Brother and his wife have decided not to go! I'm totally bummed out! I talked to SIL and told her everything y'all told me, but that didn't work! I do understand the overwhelmingness of Disney with young children, but I guess to me, it's worth it! My DD, when we first went, was 2.5 years old and still remembers that trip! My DS will be a month shy of turning 2, and I can't wait to see his little face light up seeing everything for the 1st time! I really wanted that for my brother and his family!

Ok, bumminess over now! It doesn't help that the weather here today is totally BLAH! Oh well! Off to revise our ADR #'s!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you had hoped.

That said, there may be a silver lining. If your brother and his family were less than enthusiastic but had still gone, their attitude might have carried over into the whole trip, making it less enjoyable for everyone else. Believe me, it's easier to have fun when you don't have to be a cheerleader/social director for a group whose attitude might be less than magical.

Enjoy your trip.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: