Quantcast ADHD & Aspergers Help

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADHD & Aspergers Help

We've been to WDW many times (he's been going since he was 2.5yo) but as he's getting older his symptoms are getting more pronounced. Any tips for traveling? Should we get the GAC? We've never needed it before and have always made due with FP and knowing the parks inside and out, is it worth it? Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you think it would be helpful, then you should definitely get it.

Honestly, I don't understand the question "is the GAC worth it." What do you mean by "worth it." You don't have to pay for it, so in my opinion, you lose nothing if you get one, even if you never have to use it.

It's a simple process. Go into Guest Relations prior to your first park visit, speak to the CM, explain the difficulties the individual has, and they will issue a GAC good for your entire length of stay. It's practically effortless on your part, and the GAC is an invaluable tool for some people who just can't handle WDW as well as a typical guest.

My sons are both on the Autism spectrum (5 and 7 year olds). My older son is more severely affected when it comes to crowded places and anxiety. My younger one handles theme parks like they are his second home. Since they were born, they'd been visiting DIsneyland regularly. We just moved away from there, but for 7 years, it was practically a weekly destination for us. The very FIRST time we ever used a GAC was when we took our first WDW family trip, when my older son was almost 6. He knew how to "do" Disneyland and we never got a GAC there, but WDW threw him into panic/anxiety/intense crowd fear because it was both unfamiliar, and VERY crowded (we went during spring break). On day two, we decided if we wanted the vacation to be even semi enjoyable, and NOT spend the entire trip in our hotel room, we needed to get a GAC. It literally made all the difference in the world for us. We just got back from our second trip to WDW, and the first thing we did was get a GAC. It was very handy, for all FIVE rides we actually rode all week.

Honestly, it's a wonderful service that Disney provides and I am grateful that they offer it. Otherwise, our first trip to WDW may have been our last and we would have had to "settle" for DIsneyland for the rest of our lives.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I didn't phase that correctly...

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. You definately should get a GAC. My daughter has ASD and we use a GAC all the time. We bring a note from our pediatrician (although i don't know if this is required) that simply states her diagnosis. Yes, it is like a fastpass without waiting for one fastpass to expire before getting the next one. Also, keep in mind some rides don't offer a fastpass. In those cases, go to the ride's exit and show your GAC to a cast member and they will tell you how to enter the ride. Of course if we're having a good day or a ride is not crowded we don't need it but it's great to have in your pocket just in case. Good luck and have fun!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The GAC is definitely worth it! Just remember, you may have a fastpass, but what happens if your child has a bad moment when your fastpass comes up? With the GAC, you are not restricted to a certain time, especially with the new fastpass restrictions coming on board! Like a previous poster said, it doesn't cost anything... Good Luck!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

get the GAC...you never know what the day will be like I have MS and 2 children with Austum...16 and 6 yrs old... when the 6 yrs was last there they used her stroller as a wheelchair speical tag so for the rides the stroller goes with the wheel chair not all those parked strollers on a rainy day this is most benefical!! the stroller won't get wet.. we are going in Aug so I will get them if we use fine if not ..well that is okay too... also for parades you can sit in the handicap area even without a stoller or scooter or wheelchair... they have reg chairs..which is good for me with MS....I might be bringing a push chair they are small and if I need it fine or my DD use it to sit while waiting that is fine too

best wishes and have a magical time and always let us know after the trip how things went...much pixi dust to ya
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your kind reply jimsgal05. The trip was great and having the GAC helped him ride somethings that we've never been able to do before. We didn't need to use it much due to low attendance so it worked out really well. Next time I'll look at getting the stroller as wheelchair thing. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear your trip went well. The GAC really does open up a whole new world to our kids. It will get easier and better each time you return.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tdk316 View Post
    Thanks for your kind reply jimsgal05. The trip was great and having the GAC helped him ride somethings that we've never been able to do before. We didn't need to use it much due to low attendance so it worked out really well. Next time I'll look at getting the stroller as wheelchair thing. Thanks again!
    No problem..any time I can lend a hand
    and gald ya had a great time.!!!

enjoy the rest of your summer too!
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

My son is 6yrs old and has severe ADHD and is Autistic. We have traveled to Disney World several times with him.
    The GAC is something you want to get. It will allow you to go in through alturnate entrances. Also if loud noises scare your child there are rides such as the haunted mansion where my son can not hnadle the preshow so we tell the cast members and they take us to a different entrance that bypasses the pre show.
    We also have his stroller equal to a wheelschair so we have it on hand at all times so he has his safe place when he needs it.

If you have any more questions about traveling with an ADHD and Autistic child please ask.
    2002- All Star Movies
    2003- All Star Music
    2004- Pop Centry
    2005- Pop Centry
    2006- Polynesian
    2007- Grand Floridian
    2007- Polynesian
    2008- Polynesian
    2009- Polynesian
    2010- Grand Floridian
    Dec. 2011- Grand Floridian

Share This Thread On Social Media: