Quantcast Fastpass Changes In March - Page 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronandjulie View Post
    . . . . I know that Disney is all about the magic, but if it ruins the magic for a few to increase the magic for countless thousands, so be it. I love it!
    EXACTLY! This is the key point of enforcing the return window times. It may take away the convenience benefit (a little extra magic) from the relatively few numbers of guests who enjoyed the privilege (while it lasted) of being able to come back outside the window. BUT, it will increase the magic for the vast majority of guests by making the FastPass system work for everyone as efficiently as it was designed, reducing overall wait times. Think about this: For those of us who used or FastPasses outside our windows (I was one of them), we actually made the FastPass line longer for the guests who were entering the FastPass line within their prescribed window at the same time as we showed up. The more people that did that, the less efficient the flow of the FastPass lines.

I think that's why Disney has decided to enforce the rules now, the number of guests using the "privilege" has begun to measurably slow down the FastPass lines. When only a few guests were doing it, it didn't make that much of a difference, but as the word got (unofficially) spread, more and more people started taking advantage of the non-enforcement). Imagine if the FastPass system had originally been designed with a pass that just said return anytime after X:XX o'clock. That would not have had any controlling or limiting effect on the FastPass lines, and would have made no sense. The point of the system is to control how many people enter the FastPass lines at certain times, to keep those lines relatively short throughout the day. Having no set return time defeats the purpose of the system.

It's less convenient for me personally, but enforcing the return times makes the parks work more efficiently overall.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All Wrong

This change will simply be <snip> on earth for families.

If we don't have enough to manage on WDW 'vacations' now we have to make sure kids get all their peeing done in time to be exactly in that hour of the return time. And if things are behind where today's ADRs are booked then we'll just not eat or not ride or go someplace else.

And I know the wuwuls are wuwuls fanantcis think this is great but it isn't "magical" and Fastpasses are not a fairy dust perk from Tinkerbell. They're a answer to a problem: Long lines.

Disney vacations cost thousands of dollars while every season it seems planners are sitting arounf conferene rooms brainstorming, "How else can we charge them more and give them less?"

What's next? The return of 'Character Caravans' in place of extra magic hours? If that happends I'm sure there will be discussion board folks who rave, "Whee! More magic from Mickey!"
    Last edited by Ian; 02-10-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    This change will simply be <snip> on earth for families.

If we don't have enough to manage on WDW 'vacations' now we have to make sure kids get all their peeing done in time to be exactly in that hour of the return time. And if things are behind where today's ADRs are booked then we'll just not eat or not ride or go someplace else.

And I know the wuwuls are wuwuls fanantcis think this is great but it isn't "magical" and Fastpasses are not a fairy dust perk from Tinkerbell. They're a answer to a problem: Long lines.

Disney vacations cost thousands of dollars while every season it seems planners are sitting arounf conferene rooms brainstorming, "How else can we charge them more and give them less?"

What's next? The return of 'Character Caravans' in place of extra magic hours? If that happends I'm sure there will be discussion board folks who rave, "Whee! More magic from Mickey!"
    It has already been mentioned there will be some exceptions... Dining delays are one of the exceptions, just don't expect to use a 1:00 to 2:00 return window FP at 9:00... So you can keep your ADRs, just beware of your return time, if your ADR is at 5:30 and the return window is 5-6, then you probably shouldn't get the FP because that isn't a delay in dining, that is totally on you trying to circumvent the enforced policy... Also, a child needing to use the bathroom can be deemed a personal emergency, which is another exception...
    Last edited by Ian; 02-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The pay to play is lready in progress. Fantasmic Package, Candlelight Processional Package, etc.
    One of the reasons I haven't been back to WDW during Christmas the last two trips. I love the decorations, love the extra stuff at Epcot, love the Processional. But I don't like paying an extra $240 for my family to enjoy the MVMCP - so do I pay the cash, or go on the days of no party and get squashed by the crowds doing the same. Again, why I don't like going in Dec as much as I used to. And if you make me start paying for Fastpass, I'm history.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading through all the comments and opinions left over the last couple of days and I can see it from all sides. Now I go to DL once a month and only get to WDW every other year so I am not affected by the changes as much as other people (not yet anyway). However, my DH and I do get FP's and return later in the day. My DD is only 3 and cant ride Space Mountain or Star Tours and she has a hard time understanding why she has to wait with Daddy in her stroller while Mommy is on a ride. So DH and I get our FP's and use them while DD is napping in her stroller. We dont do it to "ruin the flow of a line", we do it to make the day enjoyable for all 3 of us. There are people who collect FP's. We dont do that. We do stick to 1 ride at a time. We simply make the most of our time in the parks with our DD and dont want to miss out on precious family time.
    It isnt uncommon to have a 60 min wait for Space Mountain at 11am on a Saturday in early March at DL. There are many more locals in the parks than tourists which is a huge difference over WDW. I like having a flexible day at the parks. Time can get away from you while having fun. What is listed as a 30 min wait can be closer to 50 min (this has happened to me in the past) causing you to inadvertantly miss your FP window.
    I will wait to pass judgement on this new rule until it has been up and running for a bit, and maybe when it is implemented, there will be more flexibilty within certain guidelines and everyone from strict FP window followers to those that return 6 hrs after their window will be happy
    Adina
    DVC Since 2007 - AKL, BLT, VGC
    WDW Feb 2010 -BLT
    Poly - Feb 2007
    All Star Sports - Aug 2005
    DL Prem AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I sadly don't have time to wade through all the pages of this thread... Can someone post a link to the "Official Announcement" or the equivalent that Disney put out there concerning this issue? Thanks!
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mammabruski View Post
    I sadly don't have time to wade through all the pages of this thread... Can someone post a link to the "Official Announcement" or the equivalent that Disney put out there concerning this issue? Thanks!
    There hasn't been an official announcement. That's half the problem, it's all speculation at this point. There are a lot of reliable sources saying it's happening but nothing official.

Post Thanks / Like

There hasn't been an official announcement. That's half the problem, it's all speculation at this point. There are a lot of reliable sources saying it's happening but nothing official.
    Thanks! I'll believe that this policy will be enforced when I have reports of it actually happening!
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eran_wolf View Post
    Thanks! I'll believe that this policy will be enforced when I have reports of it actually happening!
    There is no need for an official announcement, it has ALWAYS been the policy... All you have to do is look at your FP ticket... 1) RETURN ANYTIME BETWEEN then it states the times.. and 2)PLEASE ENTER THE FASTPASS ENTRANCE AT THE ATTRACTION BETWEEN THE TIMES NOTED ON THE OTHER SIDE (printed on the back)... Disney management just chose not to enforce it...

Also, a few pages back, this was posted:

"In order to provide the best experience possible for everyone at our theme parks, all Walt Disney World Guests will be expected to return within their FASTPASS return time window, effective March 7.

Disney’s FASTPASS Service plays an important role in our Guests’ ability to enjoy their visit to one of our Walt Disney World theme parks, and our ability to provide this great service is dependent upon Guests returning during the designated window. The vast majority of our Guests are aware of their return times and arrive in the window printed on the FASTPASS ticket.

As more Guests choose to take advantage of this favorite feature, we want to provide the same opportunity to everyone. By asking all Guests to return within the window printed on their FASTPASS, more Guests will have the opportunity to enjoy this great service.

This is not a change, but simply a reminder of our existing policy. Exceptions can be granted for situations such as an attraction downtime, a delay in meal service or personal emergency."

This has been sent out to CMs the other day...

And on WDW's website regarding FP:

To Use Disney's FASTPASS Service:

• Look for the "Disney's FASTPASS® Distribution" sign near the entrance of an attraction.
    • Check the "Return Time" displayed on the sign.
      • The sign will indicate the time you would return to enjoy the attraction using a FASTPASS ticket.
      • For attractions, the return time is a one-hour window (e.g., 1:10 p.m. to 2:10 p.m.), so you don't have to be there exactly at a given time. For shows, your return time will be for a specific performance.

• If the return time is one that works for you, just insert your admission ticket into the Disney's FASTPASS Service machine. (You may use your Walt Disney World Resort admission ticket, readmission ticket, Disney Resort Hotel keycard or Annual Passport.)
    • A FASTPASS ticket will emerge with your return time printed on it. Now you're free to go and enjoy the rest of the theme park!
    • Go back to the FASTPASS ticketholder entrance when your return time rolls around, show your ticket to the Cast Member and enjoy the attraction with a minimal wait.

I bolded the important parts, the parts that show the official policy has always been to return during the time on your pass, not when ever you feel like it... Now they are enforcing this policy... And the first part is key, IF THE TIME WORKS FOR YOU.. which is what a lot of us have been saying all along.. If you KNOW you have an ADR at 5:30 and return time is 5-6, then you don't get the FP... It's simple to understand...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heavens!

Oh you mean this is just the latest from those neighbors of peole who heard it from former part time cast members who wish Disney would get real mean and make everybody march in step? The people who every fall have a little must not enter MNSSHP until 7:30 because "Oh that's what t says on the ticket!" fit?

I so hope Walt Disney World never becomes the place those people wish it would be.

That approach would be bad for Mickey, bad for the guests, bad for travel agents, and bad for the stock price

Post Thanks / Like

Oh you mean this is just the latest from those neighbors of peole who heard it from former part time cast members who wish Disney would get real mean and make everybody march in step? The people who every fall have a little must not enter MNSSHP until 7:30 because "Oh that's what t says on the ticket!" fit?

I so hope Walt Disney World never becomes the place those people wish it would be.

That approach would be bad for Mickey, bad for the guests, bad for travel agents, and bad for the stock price
    No, this is from management to CMs.. I guess you failed to see the part of the post that was sent to CMs on Wednesday... This goes into effect on March 7th, as per management...

Post Thanks / Like

It's official, as reported earlier in this thread by our moderator Ron who is a CM, and always has reliable information.

Post Thanks / Like

All WDW Cast Members (I am one) have been notified via their management teams and via a message posted on the Cast Member information web site that effective March 7, 2012, guests will be expected to return to FP attractions during the FP return window. There will be some exceptions allowed, but generally if you miss your window you will be directed to the standby queue.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I really feel like everyone is missing the point here. I would be willing to bet 95% of the guests who go to WDW obey the rules and go within the 1 hour window. We need to remember that we on the blogs are the Disney nuts who know all these little secrets, and at there is no way all of us are in the parks a the same time, so I'd say only a handful come to an attraction late. I really don't think it affects the ride, and from working at Space Mountain, I have to say in a given day, I probably only saw 1 to 2 families that were late.

The main reason for the open ended policy is to avoid guest issues. What if your daughter gets sick and you miss your window? Your server takes forever and your dinner is late so you miss your FP time? You park hop and it takes longer to get back then you thought. There are a hundred reasons why you could miss that 1 hour window. Disney did it right by letting guests have some flexibility. I personally will be sad to see it go
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    really feel like everyone is missing the point here. I would be willing to bet 95% of the guests who go to WDW obey the rules and go within the 1 hour window. We need to remember that we on the blogs are the Disney nuts who know all these little secrets, and at there is no way all of us are in the parks a the same time, so I'd say only a handful come to an attraction late. I really don't think it affects the ride, and from working at Space Mountain, I have to say in a given day, I probably only saw 1 to 2 families that were late.
    I'm not so sure of that. If that were true, there would have to be anit-counterfeit measures on the fastpasses, etc. Just like biometric scanning on park tickets, they need to curb the abuse of the system.

In reading another Disney site, there's mention that Disney actually uses the fastpass system to control guest flow, allowing staffing changes (adding staff or removing staff to control costs), etc. I'll be honest, it never occured to me that Disney could use the system to help control when they would need a certain level of staff at a particular attraction, or even help adjust customer experience towards some majic ride number per guest per day. It was an interesting read frankly...

I'm all for following/enforcing the rules. I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into a nightmare at the queue lines. They could easily barcode the fastpasses and use a scanner to control who's in or out. But getting those that don't belong out of the way needs to not be a problem, for the employees and the guests just trying to get in.

Post Thanks / Like

What will happen if the attraction is temporarily down during your FP window? Lotta bugs to work out with new enforcement.
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

What will happen if the attraction is temporarily down during your FP window? Lotta bugs to work out with new enforcement.
    As per the memo sent out to CMs a few posts up, attraction downtime is an exception...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    As per the memo sent out to CMs a few posts up, attraction downtime is an exception...
    I get that. I'm just saying that's going to be rough for the CM in the FP line. They will have to check your FP, see that it's past time, but have to know if and when the attraction might have been down. I just see a lot of confusion and backups with the current FP system. As much as people don't want to pay for FP like Universal's system, Universal's system works because it's not time based and it utilzes a scanner to determine validity. Very smooth process and it allows you all the freedom you need to enjoy you're day, and it's free to guests staying on property. I wonder if that's in Disney's crystal ball?
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

I get that. I'm just saying that's going to be rough for the CM in the FP line. They will have to check your FP, see that it's past time, but have to know if and when the attraction might have been down. I just see a lot of confusion and backups with the current FP system. As much as people don't want to pay for FP like Universal's system, Universal's system works because it's not time based and it utilzes a scanner to determine validity. Very smooth process and it allows you all the freedom you need to enjoy you're day, and it's free to guests staying on property. I wonder if that's in Disney's crystal ball?
    I assume you are talking about another attraction in the park... Maybe Ron can correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Operations already had some sort of notification in place where most of the ride attraction CMs get some sort of notice about another ride being down in the park...

I understand what you are saying... If there isn't some sort of procedure in place, I can see confusion too...

And honestly, I like Universal's system... I know people don't like to pay extra, I am one of them, but it seems like Disney is moving toward: if you want certain perks, you are going to have to pay... And it does seem Disney is slowly moving to that kind of a system: want to use a FP anytime you want?? Then cough up $45 bucks, otherwise use the current system in place and show up at your printed times...

I think this is to slowly get the public used to a return window, then slowly introduce a pay system... And I say slowly so that guests are conditioned and it isn't just thrown at them... Guests wouldn't even know what it them...

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's been said, but I love the new rules of the FP time enforcement. The last few years I've went to WDW, the FP lines have been feeling more and more like stand by lines. At first I thought Disney was giving out too many FPs for each time slot until I figured out people could just come back any time they wanted.

In my opinion, people not following the rules (even though Disney allowed it) makes the whole FP experience not work like it should.

I'll not write and complain about the change, I'll be writing to say thank you.
    Next up - January '14 - WL

March '13 - POR; May '12 - AKL; Oct. '12 - GF; Feb '11 - SSR; Oct '10 - BC; Feb '09 - Poly; Feb '08 - WL; Feb '06 - POR; April '04 - ASM; Nov '02 - POR; Jan '00 - CSR; Feb '98 - POR; Oct '96 - CBR; Sept '94 - BC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: