Quantcast Fastpass Changes In March - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

FastPass works best for everyone when the calculated number of Guests show up inside their allotted time window. If more Guests enter the FastPass queue than the calculated number (plus a small margin), it makes the FastPass and Stand-by wait times longer than intended.

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey
    What is the next gen fastpass going to be like? I
    If the two new Fantasyland queue's are a hint, the Next Generation queue's may be queue-less.

It's been anticipated that (at least) part of the "Next Gen" project is to create a queue where groups of Guests are released into an area, have some form of interactive expereince, and then proceed to the ride.

For this type of system to work with FastPass, it would require the calculated number (or less) of Guests to show up in each window to keep a constant flow.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    I will be okay with this....IF they allow you to pick a later time when you get the FP. For example, if we're in Tomorrowland at 10 AM, and the FPs for Buzz are at 1 or 2 (during our son's nap time), I would like the option of picking a later time when I get my FPs.
    I am starting to worry that the "privileged" FPs are coming. You can pay a certain amount for certain FP perks, or only resort guests can get them, what have you. And if they do go back to a type of Ticket Book (which is essentially what paying for FPs leads to), they better lower the gate price.

This would work for me, I'd love to be able to pick a later time if I had the option.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    It's one of the perks that makes Disney what they are, if I have to stand in line for 2 hours every time i want to ride something, then I wont go as often.

I've got a Theme Park less than 5 miles from my house, yet I drive 8 hours to go to Disney. Disney is heads and shoulders above other theme parks, and the FP system is one of the things that sets them aside from others.
    But they are not getting rid of the Fast Pass, they are still going to have the Perk. They are just going to enforce the end time policy. The enforcement of the end time should be something that is rarely needed in reality. I have never gotten a fast pass with the mission of ignoring the end time. It has happened that I was late, but it is rare and now if it happens I will just accept the fact that I missed out.

It is the same as if I had dining reservation and my child got sick, I cannot expect the restaurant to accept yesterdays reservation for today, because I had reservations the day before.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    FastPass works best for everyone when the calculated number of Guests show up inside their allotted time window. If more Guests enter the FastPass queue than the calculated number (plus a small margin), it makes the FastPass and Stand-by wait times longer than intended.

If the two new Fantasyland queue's are a hint, the Next Generation queue's may be queue-less.

It's been anticipated that (at least) part of the "Next Gen" project is to create a queue where groups of Guests are released into an area, have some form of interactive expereince, and then proceed to the ride.

For this type of system to work with FastPass, it would require the calculated number (or less) of Guests to show up in each window to keep a constant flow.
    This sound very interesting! I cannot wait to witness it first hand!
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

I have to vote in favor of the change. I can count on one hand the times I've used a Fastpass beyond the window...and even then I felt a little "funny" about it! I think this might actually help for those attractions where the Fastpasses are gone instantly in the morning , but maybe not...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around what precipitated the NEED for a change in the first place. Was there an outcry for stricter times? Were people unhappy with the current system? I thought it was perfect.

On our prior trips, we always tried to adhere to the window. Sometimes, with young children, our plans would get changed. If we showed up after ou time slot, I would always ask "Is my FastPass still good?" if they were to say no, I'd have no problem. But when they'd say yes, subconsciously I'd say "Gotta love Disney. They accommodate their guests first." Why change that without a hue and cry for it?
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

To me it seems that Disney is headed in the direction that everything has to be planned out before you hit the park, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

The system works great as it is now.
    Disney are heading in that direction... The NextGen part of Fastpass will include reserving ride times at home when you book your vacation... Think of it as ADRs... And this enforcement (and it is about time too!!!) is to make sure this new NextGen Fastpass works the way it is supposed to.. Right now, FP does NOT work right... And yes, it is Disney's fault for not enforcing the time frames from the beginning...

So i guess everyone is ok with having to plan every detail of your trip out.

I don't like the direction disney is going with "windows" and ADRs. You already have to make ADRs 6 months in advance to make sure you get what you want.

I think the window option will work on things like BTMR, or SM. Its TSMM or Soarin that i can foresee a problem with. If you get there at park opening and get back to the FP machines the first option to get a FP may actually be 4 or 6pm in the afternoon.

To me that tells me something isnt right with the system, if I want to use my FP then I literally have to plan the rest of my day around that window.

Either way, I know i'll get flamed for my opinion on this, this is a very sensitive subject to some people.
    No flaming... I don't like having to plan every minute of my vacation either... I hate the 6 month out window... Here is the great thing about this though, you don't have to use it... You can still choose to enjoy your vacation on the fly...

Once the ADR version of FP is implemented, I hope Disney puts restrictions on it... I hope they only allow 1, maybe 2 at the most FP reservations...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget - the whole point of FP is to get you to skip the line when you return. If you come late, it throws the whole system off b/c more people will be accessing the queue than intended. This is one of the reasons WHY we often have to wait longer than expected even if you HAVE a FP.

It doesn't make sense to argue that this is being done to favor Disney at the guest's expense. If anything, it should enhance the guest experience if in fact you get through the FP line more quickly, as originally intended. I do agree that they will need to do a very good job of communicating the change, though.

Post Thanks / Like

No flaming... I don't like having to plan every minute of my vacation either... I hate the 6 month out window... Here is the great thing about this though, you don't have to use it... You can still choose to enjoy your vacation on the fly...
    Sometimes if you dont make reservations six months out, its very hard to get the reservations you want. If you don't make reservations for table services, good luck eating what you want to. They are making it very hard to "wing it" now.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around what precipitated the NEED for a change in the first place. Was there an outcry for stricter times? Were people unhappy with the current system? I thought it was perfect.
    There had/have been a number of people who would 'collect' FastPasses (even some - on this site - who proudly proclaimed that this was the way to go) and wait until late in the day, then ride everything they wanted just before closing time.

This meant that the FastPass collection and lines were skewed -- more people in the FastPass lines later in the day. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the FastPass distribution being used to 'smooth out' the waits for some ofthe busier/more popular rides and attractions.

As an earlier poster stated, this probably should have been enforced from the very beginning...
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    If you are going to get a FastPass knowing that you are going to be in a restaurant at a time within the FastPass window, just don't....

This thread is so ripe for a First World Problems parody.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes if you dont make reservations six months out, its very hard to get the reservations you want. If you don't make reservations for table services, good luck eating what you want to. They are making it very hard to "wing it" now.
    Counter service works for me... And there are plenty of places OFF property that are so much better, and cheaper, than a lot of the bland food served in WDW restaurants... I just leave the parks...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    There had/have been a number of people who would 'collect' FastPasses (even some - on this site - who proudly proclaimed that this was the way to go) and wait until late in the day, then ride everything they wanted just before closing time.

This meant that the FastPass collection and lines were skewed -- more people in the FastPass lines later in the day. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the FastPass distribution being used to 'smooth out' the waits for some ofthe busier/more popular rides and attractions.

As an earlier poster stated, this probably should have been enforced from the very beginning...
    I see. Apparently, the system was being abused in a way so now it needs to be corrected or adjusted. Thanks, PopPhan for the explanation.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I see. Apparently, the system was being abused in a way so now it needs to be corrected or adjusted. Thanks, PopPhan for the explanation.
    Yes it was being abused... But this is more to getting things under control more for the new NextGen FP system, not so much cause the system was being abused... If Disney were not going to the new NextGen FP, they probably would allow people to continue to abuse the system...

Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest problem with this isn't the policy itself, it is that Disney allowed the leeway with the end times to begin with.
    Exactly - I have never had a problem getting back in the FP window (except once where we were on an attraction that broke down), so to me, it seems like this will be a problem for the CMs more than guests. But it WILL be a problem for even the guests who have no problem with the policy if they are stuck waiting behind someone who wants to argue with the CM about it.

I'm okay with it, too, but here's my thing ... Disney better be smart about this and publicize it well.
    Yep - they will need to have signs (and possibly CMs posted at the FP stations) letting people know. And I think that will only REDUCE complaints, rather than eliminate them. I have visions of disgruntled folks complaining to guest services & ending up getting rewarded, which defeats the whole purpose.

The NextGen part of Fastpass will include reserving ride times at home when you book your vacation
    This sounds decidedly unfun. I don't have a problem with making ADRs, etc in advance, but this is a little much planning for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, is this for all of the Disney parks? Disneyland and Disneyland Paris, etc. included?
    Disneyland - Too many times to count
    1993 - WDW
    1994 - EuroDisney
    1997 - WDW
    1998 - WDW
    2000 - WDW
    2001 - WDW & Disney Wonder
    2005 - Disneyland Paris
    2011 - WDW & Disney Dream
    2013 - Disney Wonder (Alaska)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

If it does, it does so in a very small way. A few people here and there aren't going to make your wait time significantly longer. Not only that, but the one point that people consistently miss is that it also makes the wait times shorter for other people. If I'm not in the queue during my window because I come back later, that means you got on using your FP one "group" faster.

I think the impact from this whole "using FP after your window" brouhaha is DRAMATICALLY overblown.

I don't get how this is Next Gen anything. This idea debuted about 25 years ago and is called "the pre-show."

You know, that thing just about every theme park goer in the world loathes? I'd rather stand in a queue than be subjected to any type of pre-show.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Once a policy or rule has not been enforced for a while, many people began to think that they are "entitled" to violate the policy or rule, which can lead to a lot of problems when strict enforcement of the policy or rule is begun. For instance, there's a stop sign on my residential street, where almost none of the residents ever stopped completely)(me, too). For years, the police never patrolled the street or watched the sign. Guess what happened when a new officer decided to write tickets to folks who didn't stop there. Outrage at City Hall. "You should have warned us!", even though the stop sign clearly says "STOP" and everyone knows what it means.

I agree that publicity will be helpful, such as big signs at the FP kiosks which inform users that: "NOTICE: Fast passes WILL NOT be honored after the time printed on the pass"

Of course some will still complain, because even though FastPasses are free (even though Disney could easily charge for them), the rules should not apply to them (insert excuse here).
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay - so they are going to enforce something that should not have been allowed to be abused to begin with. I personally never did have an issue getting back to my FP time window. And if I didn't think that my park plans would match up to the FP times posted, I wouldn't get a FP.

As for the Next Gen FP and having to make FP ADRs in advanced of your trip....well, maybe that will free up the lines for those of us that like to wing it and find waiting in lines a fun, people watching experience.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been allowed to enter the FP line even one minute early. I've also never tried to use one after the time window, I assumed you couldn't. I've had quite a few expire and I didn't bother to use them.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR