Quantcast Planning a trip w/o dining plan - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

this coming trip will be our first without utilizing the ddp. Me, DW and 2 DS'. The wife crunched the numbers and we should definately save some bucks without starving around the parks! It's really personal preference coupled with finances as to what you can/want to do. We are not looking to do any character type meals (did plenty of them) and our breakfast and lunch choices will be more the grab-n-go type options. Also will have some snacks and drinks in the room which we have never really taken advantage of in the past. Definately a few sit-downs for dinner but that's the game plan.
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to go to some character meals...I would go DDP...have you taken a look at what they charge for KIDS ???? For adults only perhaps no DDP. We went as all adults and we didn't eat in the rooms at all. Breakfast at FQ was around $10 each day, lunch counter services averaged $15 have to include soft drinks/water and dinners averaged $35 (no alcohol). Next trip with children and same adults we did DDP...so much easier and those character meals tipped the scale vs out of pocket...even with the TIW discounts.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and experiences. But now, I'm officially confused. Again. Looks like I need to number crunch and find out if the boys want to do any character meals. Still interested in other experiences, however. So keep 'em comin'.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I usually do a spreadsheet and include what character meals we want to do, etc. That way I can see how much we plan to spend a day on food. If you are doing a lot of TS meal, then the dining plan might be a better option.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

I would plan where you want to eat and check out some menus and add up the prices.

As someone else posted if you are going to do several character meals or buffet it might be worth it.

Having kids who are charged the kids dining plan prices also changes the matrix a little. Quite a few people who thought the dining plan was not worth it did not have kids and I would tend to agree.

The kids price for the dining plan per day is about the price of most character meals. The same is true for most buffets. You come out ahead on days where you do character meals or fixed price meals like Chef Mickeys, Boma or O'Hana.

If you are just going to do non-character and non buffet meals it might not be worth it. Especially if you are going to split meals.

Are you annual pass holders?
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an idea... buy a Visa debit card and put the same amount of cash on it that you would have paid for the dining plan. Then, use the card to pay for all of your dining expenses. See how much money you have left at the end of the trip.

That way you're budgeting ahead of time for the cost of food -- getting the 'prepaid' perk of the dining plan -- but you're not tied to the dining plan's limitations.

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea, TikiGoddess! I love it!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We usually did the DDP, whether we pay for it (get a room discount) or get it free. I keep track of the costs & we usually end up coming out ahead, considering what we eat and all. Usually it's just DD and I, sometimes DH.

For our upcoming trip, I decided against it, primarily because DD will be 10 and I know there is no way she will eat $46 worth of food a day. I am concerned about paying for everything OOP, but am leaning towards getting annual passes, so will obviously get the TiW card, which should help. I do love the idea of getting the Visa debit card!

But I think we'll be OK--on past trips DD and I have shared the largest CS breakfast available, and it'll be August, so we probably won't want to eat that heavy, anyway. We have ADRs at 'Ohana for dinner, which will be costly but is a must-do, and lunches at Sci Fi and Via Napoli, which are some of the "lesser-expensive" places in the World, especially at lunch. What's going to hurt is having to PAY for our Pineapple Floats, instead of using snack credits!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: