Quantcast Single Parent Advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Single Parent Advice

I'm hoping to take a trip back to WDW this summer, and it will be the first trip for my son and I since the divorce. Is there any tips or advice that you might have to offer? It will just be my 11 year old son and I. We will probably travel in late July or early August.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a single parent so can't offer any advice on that front. I think the advice I would offer would be the same regardless of the size or make-up of your family.

Mid-summer is vevery hot and humid and the parks are quite busy. I'd sugget going to the parks early in the morning, heading back to your resort for relaxation and pool time mid-day and then return to the parks in the evening when it's cooler.

Is there anything special your son would like to do? Perhaps you could build something into your trip that makes it a very special trip for him whether it's a tour (though he may be a bit young for most), renting a boat, having a pirate makeover...whatever works best given his interests.

I'd be sure to involve your son in all the planning so you can be sure that you get to do all the things he'd like to do...And be sure that you get to do some of the things you'd like as well!

Most of all...relax and enjoy...I'm sure you and your son will make some wonderful memories and both of you will enjoy the special time together!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

What a great trip you'll have!

I agree with Faline, involve him in as much planning as you can, it will make the trip that much better, maybe even let him plan a whole day or two. (DD planned one of our trip days on the last trip and it was awesome ... she was 12).

Oh! Do you like thrill rides? If not, and your son does, you'll have to come to an agreement on if he'll do all of the thrill rides, if you'll do some, etc.

As for the single parent part, it is a lot like being at home. When you're both worn out, head back for a break, it doesn't have to be perfect, just enjoy being together at Disney.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea of letting him plan out parts of the trip. He is as big of a WDW nerd as I am. We have been many times in the past, but this will be the first time for just the two of us. I love the thrill rides, and he is slowly becoming a fan as well. One special circumstance that we face is that my son is high functioning autistic, but WDW has always been a very special place for him and our family.
    I Am That Hero!

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a single mom of a 12yo daughter. We have been to WDW 5 times now. We have also done other trips. It has always been just the two of us so I don't know any other way. She is also somewhere on the spectrum and likes to have things planned out.

I always let her have a choice and be part of the planning. It is also her vacation. I let her help plan where we stay and where we dine, both TS and CS.

I am sure the two of you will have a blast. Have a great trip
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marci! Have you ever done the dining plan for just the two of you, or do you prefer room only?
    I Am That Hero!

Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

We have used the dining plan on all of our trips. It worked out great for us.

Do you want a TS and CS every day or are you more of a fly by the seat of your pants person and see where the day takes you?

Jessica is not a picky eater and likes trying new foods. Although she can't get enough of mac 'n cheese and sushi.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

When my son was youger the DDP was a good deal for us and I loved it. Not sure if it will be worth the money now that he has to be counted as an "adult".
    I Am That Hero!

Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    When my son was youger the DDP was a good deal for us and I loved it. Not sure if it will be worth the money now that he has to be counted as an "adult".
    I thought the same. We had free dining for our December 2010 trip and paid ddp for the April and August 2011 trips. She more than ate her way through an adult meal. DD is turning into a real foodie. That said on our next trip we will be getting the TiW card next WDW trip instead of the DDP. We want to eat at Kimono's for sushi and they are not on the DDP. I just want more freedom with our dining.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm a single mom of 13 yr old with autism. We have been to Disney many times. The only way I would do the dining plan is if were free. My son is extremly picky abouth the food he eats so it wouldn't be good for us. I usually make up name tag type of thing so that if my son gets lost I can be contacted because he wouldn't be able to tell anyone clearly enough his name or my number. Have fun.
    LYNN

Post Thanks / Like

I did a trip last August with just my son who was 11 at that time. We had a wonderful time. I let him take the lead most of the time as to where he wanted to go. We sat down ahead of time and picked 3 places for dinner reservations. The rest of the time we just ate at quick services or in the room. We had a lot of fun together.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we will do the DDP, but will still do some TS meals. My son loves some of the restaurants so I will definitely let him help plan that out. The ID card is also a very good idea. Thank you all for the great ideas and info. I'm in the process of trying to rent points to stay at a DVC resort for the first time. A friend actually gave me some of hers so this is a great opportunity to try it out. Wish me luck in that process.
    I Am That Hero!

Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are going to have a great time. I don't have a child so I can't speak to the experience of an adult, but my parents divorced when I was young and my father and I would travel to Disney together because it was a place we both loved.

Since there was only two of us we were able to travel light, move quick, and see a lot in a day. We carefully planned our time, but it hardly felt like planning because there were only two of us to make decisions! It was so easy! We had a great time and I'm sure you and your son will too!

Post Thanks / Like

Just relax and enjoy it! I love that Disney world is for families of all kinds. I am a single parent too and my daughter and I always have the best time! Be flexible, take breaks. That's my best advice. Enjoy making memories that will last you and your child a lifetime!

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely start the memories all over again, by that I mean all new pictures with characters make memories for the two of you to share. It’s a new chapter in your future. And don’t use the words "remember when we used to do this/that" it’s all about the two of you now and make it like a first for both of you...I’m not a single mom, but I did just take my DS (8) for the first time alone without the rest of the family and we made memories that only we can share forever. It was awesome. I hope to do it with my other two someday soon..

Have a wonderful time
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a single mom and DD's and I have been twice now by ourselves. I have to say, I think I had a better time than they did!!! We went in Sept and it was really hot so like others mentioned, we'd hit the park early, go back to the hotel for a swim, went for dinner and then back to the park at night. I get the dining plan because I usually go when it's free. I like the convenience of it but it is a LOT of food.

One tip I might suggest (if you don't already know) is to get a Guest Assistance Card for your son. With July/August heat, this might help.

I wish the both of you a very memorable vacation!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Just booked our room yesterday! We are going to stay at OKW, which is new for us, thanks to a good friend and some rented points. We made a few ADRs already (O'hana, Garden Grill, CP breakfast), but I think we are also just going to wing it some days so that we are not bound to any schedule.
    One other question I have is how secure do you feel leaving your child for a minute or two here or there through out WDW. My DS is 11 and I'm not planning on turning him loose in the parks or anything. But, for example, what if we are at a CS restaurant and the line is long, would you let your child go find a table and wait on you there? Or would you let them go to the bathroom by themselves, if you were holding a spot for the fireworks or something like that? Or let's say we're at the OKW pool and I want to go get a beverage from the snack bar? Do you feel safe enough at WDW to let your pre-teen child venture off on their on for a few minutes?
    I Am That Hero!

Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went through that last week. I took my 8 year old by myself. I did feel safe letting him get a table (with in my sight) and the bathroom...That wasn’t easy I did feel uneasy about letting him go in the men’s room alone, but i was right by the door and if it took more than a minute or two (boys go fast..lol) I would call out his name in the door way. Trust me I don’t care what people think if I have to walk in ya know... I just talked to him before we went and told him what to do if we got separated or if he felt uncomfortable in the men’s room. We had a code word that he could yell out and I would be there in a flash. Everything went smooth and he did great... Oh and as far as me going in the ladies room without him he would sit right by the door and not move. I told him no matter what anyone says you don’t move from that spot.

I did however have an incident with a little boy behind us when we went to eat. He was about my son’s age and they were both holding tables. When I got back to mine I heard the little boy crying and asked him if he was ok. He looked scared I asked if he was lost and he didn’t really want to answer me. So I immediately told him no worries I’m going to get someone to help you. (I guess his mom had the talk with him too about not talking to strangers…he did a good job) I told one of the girls that worked there and she started asking him questions along with another worker. Just then his mom walked up and said “honey, I was just over there” I think he lost sight of her for the moment poor kid... I told her sorry, but he was upset and I just wanted to get him some help finding you. You know she didn’t even say THANK YOU... I was a little shocked, because I would have been grateful if someone tried to help my son. Anyway that’s beside the point It was a good example to my son to see what to do. Go to the people that work there and ask for help…
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I almost hate to even mention this, but sometimes when its two of you the trips are even better. A lot of the rides are set up for two, and there is more agreement on what rides to see or skip with just two of you.

My only advise would be to watch the heat and taking swimming breaks in the afternoon. Otherwise, I think you'll have a great time. I'm going with my 20 year old in August. My wife later decided to join us but since my son and I love the rides and she doesn't, she'll join us at meal times and we'll be off on our own the rest of the time. So enjoy.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Hi LarryBoy!! I am a single mom who is taking her third trip with the kiddos!! Not sure exactly what tips you are looking for. I drive, so I just make sure to have plenty to keep kiddos busy and plan to stop often. I also keep in mind that their little bodies can't always keep up like mine while a Disney..so I pace myself and let them guide us. They like to hang out at the pool so we plan for that. They also like to do the extra evening hours..so we don't wake up so early. I have night owl kiddos. Since it is just one adult..you have no backup but it is fun and can be done. I personally don't leave my kids alone for any amount of time..but that is my preference. My kids are 8 and 11. Good Luck and have fun. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
    Geaux LSU Tigers!!!! Smoke 'em Dale Jr.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: